All-Star Game 25, Jan. 2020 St. Louis Enterprise Center

Antti_Laxative

So I did a search to see if there was a thread on this before starting this so and came up empty. so anyway, Dave Stubbs wrote a fun piece for NHL.com today and I wanted to share it.

It is about the 1970 game - also in St. Louis. I remember that late-night game as it was my 12th birthday and I watched BOTH the NBA and NHL All-Star games to extend my personal celebration...although admittedly I knew nothing of the spat over the organist! LOL! check out the story!

I sure wish coaches and players cared that much these days about winning and "unfair advantages" in the ASG  Things changed somewhere along the line ;) 

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-all-star-game-started-on-sour-note-on-first-trip-to-st-louis-in-1970/c-314181662?tid=280751088

NB - when you open the article - that awesome large photo you see is mainly Tony Esposito of the Blackhawks and Brad Park (then of the Rangers) but that #21 you see in the dark (blue) sweater of the Western Conference is Bill Goldsworthy of the NorthStars.  He wore #21 instead of his usual #8 which was worn by Barclay Plager of the Blues - the home team got preference apparently.

LOL at Staal's shootout attempt. I guess we know why he wasn't in the fastest skater competition 😅

Edit

LOL two pathetic attempts

This is like when they awarded Kuba an All-Star slot based purely on the fact the game was in Minny. #unworthy

Edited by Antti_Laxative

10 hours ago, Antti_Laxative said:

LOL at Staal's shootout attempt. I guess we know why he wasn't in the fastest skater competition 😅

Edit

LOL two pathetic attempts

This is like when they awarded Kuba an All-Star slot based purely on the fact the game was in Minny. #unworthy

Truthfully, Dwayne Roloson was voted in as a starter that year. But since the goaltenders only play about one period, Bettman felt that the Minnesota fans should see a skater. So Kuba got the nod because he was the Wild’s most offensive defenseman. Even though many Wild fans wanted Willie Mitchell. But Willie scored like twice a season and the All-Star game is all about offense, so Kuba got the spot. 

And quit with the fancy jerseys. I’m partial to the old black/orange all star uni’s. 

Maybe they’re going black and white because the NHL got rid of the orange in the logo. But then just make a classic style jersey. Stop with the musical scores, the neon trim, the matching the hosting team colors. 

And stop with the gimmicks. Just play East vs West. Stop with the pond hockey. Or the picking teams. 

Maybe I’m cranky because I got woke up at 0500, but I’m getting tired of all the gimmicks in the NHL...

2 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

I’m partial to the old black/orange all star uni’s. 

I've made that point a million times in here....I have a few of the ASG sweaters from the days of using the classic league colours of black and orange. Infinitely superiour to the lameass neon, glorified moto-cross jerseys they wear now.

On 1/25/2020 at 6:36 AM, IllaZilla said:

Truthfully, Dwayne Roloson was voted in as a starter that year. But since the goaltenders only play about one period, Bettman felt that the Minnesota fans should see a skater. So Kuba got the nod because he was the Wild’s most offensive defenseman. Even though many Wild fans wanted Willie Mitchell. But Willie scored like twice a season and the All-Star game is all about offense, so Kuba got the spot. 

I thought they said it was a coin toss between Mitchell and Kuba.  Either way...it was a pretty lame all star attendee.  Although the most lame one for the Wild still goes to Nick Johnson.