You are a guest user Click to join the site

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

CreaseAndAssist

Did the Minnesota Wild 'Miss' in Drafting Matt Boldy?

Hidden Content

Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

I give my thoughts on the selection of the Boston College winger, and other food for thought.  Enjoy and discuss. 

I know this could be in the prospect thread but this is focused mostly on one player.  

• Like 3

It is interesting to see most other players who were on that USNDTP team pretty much picking up where they left off, and then there’s Boldy...

• Like 1

5 points in the last 5 games, seems to be shooting the puck a little more.  It is probably too early to sound any alarms.  He is on a good team and will be well seasoned.  Let's not read too much into the slow start he had.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DirtofMinny said:

5 points in the last 5 games, seems to be shooting the puck a little more.  It is probably too early to sound any alarms.  He is on a good team and will be well seasoned.  Let's not read too much into the slow start he had.

(shrugs)  Not really, he's been shooting the puck now as he was when he was playing center.  But I take it you didn't read the article...since you continue with the rationalization.  

57 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

(shrugs)  Not really, he's been shooting the puck now as he was when he was playing center.  But I take it you didn't read the article...since you continue with the rationalization.  

You're correct, I only browsed your article.  I will now read more diligently.  Still, I think he will be fine.

Here are the numbers.  The last 5 games, he's been better, statistically.  Only guessing and hoping, but maybe he is asserting himself a little more.  IT appeared, by the boxscores, that he is in on more of the overall goals in that time.  Let's hope it works out.  

Boldy stats.PNG

Without the wheels it will be hard to adjust to the AHL, and a lot harder to adjust to the NHL. And even if one manages to make it, the lack of speed makes one's career a shorter one, as with age one starts getting even slower. From what we know Boldy is a miss. He's not a centre and he's not fast. Not what the Wild needs, and not a player with the one must have skill every NHL player needs nowadays. Teemu Pulkkinen is third in KHL scoring this season. A prime example of a player who can't get anywhere in the NHL because of the lack of speed.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DirtofMinny said:

Here are the numbers.  The last 5 games, he's been better, statistically.  Only guessing and hoping, but maybe he is asserting himself a little more.  IT appeared, by the boxscores, that he is in on more of the overall goals in that time.  Let's hope it works out.  

Boldy stats.PNG

No.  He's the same.  The lack of goal scoring...is the same.  But please, keep rationalizing.  

Scott Wheeler with the Athletic has Boldy rated the #2 prospect in the Wild prospect pool after Kaprizov. 

Doesn’t see anything wrong with his slow start. Chalked it up to Jerry York relying one his veterans. 

Reading Wheeler's column, it didn't seem to me like a guy who had watched Boldy play too much.  He looked at his draft postion, saw his crappy production...rationalized (oh, not getting enough chances because of Jerry York likes veteran players blah blah blah) and just made him the #2 guy just because.  I'll agree with his point that Boldy has reasonable lateral quickness, but no real burst or top end speed which IMO is pretty troubling for a guy picked so high.  Hell, he talked more about Filip Johansson in that same column and he was outside of Wheeler's top 10 with the team.  I didn't think it was that great of a column.    

On 1/26/2020 at 1:58 PM, CreaseAndAssist said:

Hidden Content

Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

I give my thoughts on the selection of the Boston College winger, and other food for thought.  Enjoy and discuss. 

I know this could be in the prospect thread but this is focused mostly on one player.  

Really nice article. Agree with all of that and you provided the facts to back up your theory. I usually am against labeling a kid a bust before turning pro...but the old lack of speed thing is a killer in today's NHL. I would guess around 80% of the kids who are drafted with the dreaded "lack of speed" label turn out to be busts. 

I frown on my Flyers drafting anyone who cant skate ...especially in the first round!! I can site 3 recent Flyer picks who were drafted with sub par wheels. 

1) Steve Downie. Tore up the OHL...but not fast...instead we heard all the Boldy stuff...hockey sense, passing, shot, hustle...etc etc. He never scored at the rate a high first rounder should have...and he could never keep up. I believe you are either born with good wheels or you are not. There are some guys that work their tails off and become average skaters...few and far between ...like #2...

2) Sean Couturier. Demolished the QMJHL in pts and goal totals. Scored 60 in his last year. He really struggled his first 3 years, but mastered defense first and is currently one of the top 5 two way centers in the whole league. Hard work and determination made him a plus player. It can happen, but it is rare. As a rule, you should never take this type of player in the top half of the first round. It is a skaters league first and foremost. Let someone else take the gamble I say.

3) Bobby Brink. After hearing he was fairly slow, I was pleasantly surprised by his play for Team USA at the World Jrs. Turns out he can keep up but his first few steps are lacking. This is the kind of flaw that can be worked on and improved. It's not like having a lack of burst and a sub stride, those are usually a kiss of death. The Flyers got Bobby st the top of the 2nd round though...THAT is where you take those kinda shots. Kids in the 2nd are gonna have some kinds of warts...par for the course. 

I agree with your theory...real good chance Boldy is s bust. A big clue is a high first round pick not making the National Jr team. That rarely happens and is cause for alarm in my books. 

• Like 2

Watched Boldy tonight in the Beanpot.  He had an assist.  Ok, but what did he REALLY do?  He passed the puck to Alex Newhook, who made a nice power move and sniped a shot over the BU's goalie's shoulder.  Boldy likes to cherrypick which helps him mask his lack of north / south speed by trying to get a head start on the rush.  Sometimes he gets caught trying to anticipate and cheating his way out of the zone, instead of staying and making sure things are taken care of offensively.  He moves ok laterally and he can dangle.  I will give him credit for him being able to make some passes in tight places.  However, he doesn't really have the speed or burst to get away from people.  He still looked to pass more than shoot the puck which is really what the Wild needed, another slow playmaking winger.  Yea...how about that.