Kobe Bryant (41) and daughter die in helicopter crash

ruxpin

53 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Helicopters are less safe than airplanes, but they can also get you into and out of areas planes can't. I'd have no problem with going up in one in those cases. Using one as a means to take my kid to and from basketball practice is another thing. 

The traffic out there is simply nuts, though.  If I had a helicopter, I'd take it to the grocery store out there.

8 hours ago, Digityman said:

I feel for his family and sad that his daughter and others were with him. 

This really solidified my feelings on helicopters.   Nope.  Never.

I feel the exact same way. No way am I going to have my life in the hands of a single motor...ditto for single motor planes like the Cesena. 

I know people can quote stats on helicopters being a safer mode of transportation than a Greyhound bus...but this just does not pass the common sense sniff test.

Back in 1991 a bunch of us went to see Eric Clapton. The back up band was Stevie Ray Vaughn. He was skipping dates ...so Stevie did Carolina the night before, but skipped Detroit. In route from Carolina to Chicago ( to catch up with the next gig on the tour) his helicopter went down and he tragically passed. Been anti helicopter after that nightmare.

Edited by jammer2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jammer2 said:

I feel the exact same way. No way am I going to have my life in the hands of a single motor...ditto for single motor planes like the Cesena. 

I know people can quote stats on helicopters being a safer mode of transportation than a Greyhound bus...but this just does not pass the common sense sniff test.

Back in 1991 a bunch of us went to see Eric Clapton. The back up band was Stevie Ray Vaughn. He was skipping dates ...so Stevie did Carolina the night before, but skipped Detroit. In route from Carolina to Chicago ( to catch up with the next gig on the tour) his helicopter went down and he tragically passed. Been anti helicopter after that nightmare.

I got to see SRV with Jeff Beck and Jeff Healey. Saw Clapton with Beck. Got a little spoiled that way. 

I had a friend or two killed in car accidents. I still drive em.

Like I said, they're a great vehicle for certain situations...much like a Humvee. Neither makes a good commuter vehicle though.

On 1/28/2020 at 8:26 AM, ruxpin said:

I feel badly for the others.   

I can't imagine losing my family member(s) and all news reports and mourning tweets, etc., mention my loved one--who was everything to me--as "everyone else" or "others," etc.

This is a really good point.  Like you said, I get it, but it really sucks for for the families outside of the Bryants'.  

17 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Helicopters are less safe than airplanes, but they can also get you into and out of areas planes can't. I'd have no problem with going up in one in those cases. Using one as a means to take my kid to and from basketball practice is another thing. 

I think @jammer2 said it after you but trusting a single point of failure is where I struggle.  I've been up in single engines planes when I was younger, but for some reason now I just can't bring myself to do it.   For example, going site-seeing in Hawaii via helicopter..... I would be so preoccupied in being scared that I wouldn't enjoy the reason I went up in the first place.   

I do get the argument that flying in a plane or helicopter is statistically safer than driving in a car and as a analyst by trade, that should make sense to my brain.   But it just won't trust the data.  I tried.   

• Like 3

My wife told me last night so not sure how true it is but when they found Kobe's body he was still hugging his daughter.

Sorry I can't speak for anyone else but thinking about that and being a father it left me very emotional last night before bed.

I had to get up and go kiss my little girl who was sound asleep...sometimes we forget in our lives how much worse things could be.

Love them while you can...

• Good Post 1

11 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Single engine planes can still fly if they lose power.  Finding a place to land is the issue.  Helicopters and jets, not so much.  They drop like a rock.

Apparently there's a technique called auto-rotation that let's you land a helicopter safely -- even without engine power.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autorotation