Wild trade deadline

Icechipper

Right now the Wild are five points out of a Wild Card spot, and have two games in hand. Depending on what they do with those two games, they could be right back in a Wild Card spot, which would totally change their trade deadline strategy.

It also depends on what Fan Boy #1 wants. He claims Guerin can do whatever he feels is necessary, but I'll believe that when I see it. I still think Fan Boy #1 sees this team as a Cup caliber team... 

5 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

So are we hoping the Wild get curbstomped tomorrow night against Chicago?!?!  At least I won't be writing about that one! ;)  @IllaZilla

This is where the Wild go on a mini-run and get back in contention just enough for Guerin to not make any moves, and the after the trade deadline they go back to looking like a Gong  Show...

1 hour ago, Lonkkis said:

Gonna be interesting if Buff and Jets go through with the mutual contract termination. They're probably going to come after Dumba if that's the case.

I wouldn’t trade a used jock to Winnipeg unless they anted up big time. As in multiple first rounders or top end prospects. Why help out a division rival?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

I wouldn’t trade a used jock to Winnipeg unless they anted up big time. As in multiple first rounders or top end prospects. Why help out a division rival?

(shrugs)  Fenton made a 'hockey trade' with a division rival last year...we should've made Nashville pay a premium but he was so star struck to have his 'kid' back.  

3 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

(shrugs)  Fenton made a 'hockey trade' with a division rival last year...we should've made Nashville pay a premium but he was so star struck to have his 'kid' back.  

I would not have made that trade even if Nashville included an extra draft pick. At least not at that time.

Granlund had 50 points and a year left on his deal at just over $5M at the time of the trade. He could have been parlayed into extra draft picks at the draft that summer. Or if you don't get the draft picks you want in the summer, keep him for another year and then trade him at the deadline. If he has another 60+ point season, you'd probably get a lot more than than a Kevin Fiala...

That was an EA Sports trade in real life...

• Like 1

Honest question to everybody. What players do we have that could net us something worthwhile and not a player of equal or less?

Would you want to pick up Zucker and his contract as another GM?

Spurgeon has pulled a Suter and Zucker in signing a nice fat contract and disappearing. Would you want to risk that kind of money?

Dubnyk is old and to expensive unless a team had a serious injury and was desperate.

Greenway is going to net us much and more then likely net us a loss in size.

I just look across the board and can't see where the Wild would get something that would be a improvement other then just shedding some contracts. None of the players are doing themselves a favor but then again most know if you just do enough and get a decent contract the Wild will treat you like royalty even if squat and drop turds on the ice.

The funny thing is I can see any player leaving Minnesota, being forced to play hard and do good.

It's gonna depend on what direction Guerin is allowed to go in. I don't think they can do this rebuild-on-the-fly thing again. Fenton basically whizzed away any assets the Wild had last season. So IF they were going on a full scale fire sale:

Move Brodin. His value is the highest of all Wild players. Would get a decent return for him. A LOT of NHL teams would want him on their back end with his smooth skating, good outlet passing and usually mistake free defense.

Move Staal. He's got a year left at a reasonable $3.25M cap hit and has been decent. Does have a modified NTC. Playoff teams would want his scoring and veteran savvy. Last year Boston apparently offered a first round pick AND a top end prospect for him. So you know Boston is now on his NTC list, but you also know what a team was willing to give up for him...

Move Zucker. He has a modified NTC, but maybe there is a new playoff team he missed on his NTC list. Has speed, can score, but has a $6M cap hit. Possibly a decent haul for him. Plus it will clear a spot in the top six for Kaprizov next season.

Move Foligno. He's exactly what a playoff team looks for. Tough, gritty, gives 100% every shift. And can provide offense. 

The rest of the team have NMC's that they will not waive (Parise, Suter, Spurgeon, Zuccarello, Koivu) or have little value (Dubnyk, Rask, Stalock).

The biggest question mark is the young guys (Kunin, Greenway, Donato, Eriksson-Ek). They keep saying this team needs to get younger and faster, so I'm not sure they want to move these guys. At least not right now. But are these young guys as good as they're going to get? Third liners and regular healthy scratch? But they are RFA's next season, which gives whatever team they are traded to basically an extra year. So there are possibilities with this group.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 2

43 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

It's gonna depend on what direction Guerin is allowed to go in. I don't think they can do this rebuild-on-the-fly thing again. Fenton basically whizzed away any assets the Wild had last season. So IF they were going on a full scale fire sale:

Move Brodin. His value is the highest of all Wild players. Would get a decent return for him. A LOT of NHL teams would want him on their back end with his smooth skating, good outlet passing and usually mistake free defense.

Move Staal. He's got a year left at a reasonable $3.25M cap hit and has been decent. Does have a modified NTC. Playoff teams would want his scoring and veteran savvy. Last year Boston apparently offered a first round pick AND a top end prospect for him. So you know Boston is now on his NTC list, but you also know what a team was willing to give up for him...

Move Zucker. He has a modified NTC, but maybe there is a new playoff team he missed on his NTC list. Has speed, can score, but has a $6M cap hit. Possibly a decent haul for him. Plus it will clear a spot in the top six for Kaprizov next season.

Move Foligno. He's exactly what a playoff team looks for. Tough, gritty, gives 100% every shift. And can provide offense. 

The rest of the team have NMC's that they will not waive (Parise, Suter, Spurgeon, Zuccarello, Koivu) or have little value (Dubnyk, Rask, Stalock).

The biggest question mark is the young guys (Kunin, Greenway, Donato, Eriksson-Ek). They keep saying this team needs to get younger and faster, so I'm not sure they want to move these guys. At least not right now. But are these young guys as good as they're going to get? Third liners and regular healthy scratch? But they are RFA's next season, which gives whatever team they are traded to basically an extra year. So there are possibilities with this group.

My biggest fear is Guerin holding on to everybody as the Wild dance on the line of maybe making the playoffs. I am praying the Wild go into a horrible tail spin so then he can just start moving and take the rebuild path and not the let's tinker some more path. Yes it will suck but the franchise needs to do this and come out reborn as a different beast. Hopefully be shedded of all the old vets. Right now this team feels like Old Yeller that no matter how many shots you put into it there is still a hair bit of life and moaning coming from it. It just needs to be put down.

Trade Zucker and Dumba to get rid of some mediocrity.

Other than his contract, Staal isn't worth much this season. Hard worker but little results.

I wouldn't trade Brodin. We need something consistent back on D. He's the one bit of stability in an unstable core.

Build the D around him with Soucy.

No to Foligno also, The only one with full effort and leadership by example.

I'm biased since those 3 are the main reason for me to watch this season. ;) 

19 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

I agree with most of this.  I still would keep Brodin unless the return was at least a 1st and a top prospect (at a minimum).  

• Like 1

If the team will continue to play  like they played last game and persistently will collect crucial points till the end of the season, then they will not move anyone from that team until the summer trades period. From Michael Russo news, Boudreau recognized his mistake(good sign for him) of not involving Nick Seeler enough during the season which cost us to lose a valuable defensively minded defenseman, who was capable to block lots of shots towards our net as well as affected to our current standings too.

Zucker gone. (See related thread.) Who is next?

• Brodin. Please no. He is the team's best skater and diffuses dangerous attacks with poise and savvy. Great model for Soucy.
  • Dumba. Only if you think Belpedio or Mennell could replace him. Neither can or they'd be in theTwinCities and not Iowa.
  • Staal. Like him as a leader and points producer, but would think he might bring at minimum a 2nd plus player and/or prospect.
  • Greenway. Often wonder whether he should have stayed in college two more years. Wonder if there is a higher ceiling for him. Or whether he is what he is and that's all there is. Rangers interested.
  • Dubnyk. Not sure what's going on with his game. Edmonton gave up on him and he turned into a brick wall with defensive-minded Wild squads. Maybe he could bring it again with a contender. Wild once known to make average netminders look great, physically and statistically. No more.

Yes, trades are a function of salary, term, NTCs, cap space etc. I could list the entire roster. For the right price, all but Suter, Parise or Capt. Koivu, could be moved.

7 hours ago, Icechipper said:

Zucker gone. (See related thread.) Who is next?

• Brodin. Please no. He is the team's best skater and diffuses dangerous attacks with poise and savvy. Great model for Soucy.
  • Dumba. Only if you think Belpedio or Mennell could replace him. Neither can or they'd be in theTwinCities and not Iowa.
  • Staal. Like him as a leader and points producer, but would think he might bring at minimum a 2nd plus player and/or prospect.
  • Greenway. Often wonder whether he should have stayed in college two more years. Wonder if there is a higher ceiling for him. Or whether he is what he is and that's all there is. Rangers interested.
  • Dubnyk. Not sure what's going on with his game. Edmonton gave up on him and he turned into a brick wall with defensive-minded Wild squads. Maybe he could bring it again with a contender. Wild once known to make average netminders look great, physically and statistically. No more.

Yes, trades are a function of salary, term, NTCs, cap space etc. I could list the entire roster. For the right price, all but Suter, Parise or Capt. Koivu, could be moved.

What sucks the most is the guys we really need to move, either because of money or declining skills, Parise, Suter and Koivu can't be moved.

Brodin. I wouldn't want to move either but realistically might be the best D guy to move to get anything of value back.

Dumba. I was one harping back years ago Dumba is overrated by fans and media. He is what he is. A guy who can score sometimes but is going to make lots of costly mistakes. He is a -8 right now even with 18 points scored. Maybe a team desperate for a scoring defenseman who has guys to cover his mistakes.

Staal. Let me say I am a fan of him. I think he is going to be a HoFer. He is also our top scoring player. But last year would have netted us the most we could have gotten for him. Depending on what his modified Trade List is maybe we can still grab a good return if somebody offers. I think the ship sailed on that ship and won't get much in return other then a salary dump.

Greenway. I had hopes for him. Honestly at this point he is what he is and won't net much back. Maybe if the Wild were a team that could develop young guys he would have had a shot to be a good 2nd or 3rd liner.

Dubnyk. Honestly should have been a career back up Goalie. Maybe a Goalie who starts 50% of the time with another Goalie but never a actually full time starter. Maybe a team going into the playoffs who has a hurt Goalie and is desperate for another Goalie would snag him up and give a decent trade back.

Spurgeon reminds me of so much of Suter and Zucker in the sense of getting that nice big contract and completely stopping what made them good. What a disappointment in my eyes. Don't know what the trade clause he has but at his price he is not worth it especially when he jumps up in cost next year.

Zuccarello. Why is he making $6 million a year? Why is it the Wild continue to overpay mediocre players? I wish we could move him.

• Like 1

kappy's (kaprisov)goalie in russia (ilya sorokin) not interested in playing for the  islanders ,and looking to play elsewhere.

he is the best goalie in the world not playing in the nhl  now if only the wild could make a pitch for him that would be just great

Edited by wildstars95
added info
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, wildstars95 said:

kappy's (kaprisov)goalie in russia (ilya sorokin) not interested in playing for the  islanders ,and looking to play elsewhere.

he is the best goalie in the world not playing in the nhl  now if only the wild could make a pitch for him that would be just great

That would be nice to have him who reached twice Gagarin Cup finals and won it once  as well as OG title and 3 bronze medals in the WC. He also has the most shutouts in KHL. His stats are outstanding there.

We need the best goaltender for the team. Last game against Colorado showed that importance.  2 out of 3 goals Dubnyk should take.