Wild trade deadline

Icechipper

We can’t seem to free ourselves of past stupid decisions by any means at all.  I was hoping for any ‘addition by subtraction’, without too much concern for our return assets.  I just want the Country Club broken up - ASAP.  Not to be at this deadline.  

• Like 1

They might have time to work out a workable deal during the summer. At least this gives us some hope of getting out of the dead end. We'll just have to hope Parise will play lights out until summer. His age and the money involved would still probably mean that we would have to sweeten the deal with something of value, and take something of little value in return.

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 4:32 PM, EL_CAPITAN_#9 said:

I think this is right choice from Koivu! This is great example how Captain should act. Younger team needs leader, and even though he could/should have jump to "hunt for Stanley"- teams, he does this. Gotta respect Mikko! He really loves Wild team...

This isn't about helping the team or teaching the young guys. In his 15 years you never saw him improving the young guys, In fact if the young guys play didn't match Koivu and then Parise and Suter, they would lose TOI, go to the AHL or be shipped out of here. This is a selfish move as he knows here he will still get TOI even if he literally pulled his breezers down and took a chit on the ice in the middle of the game. He wanted to be on one team only. He has no desire to win a Cup and this move shows this. The most overpaid 4th line Center of all time. On any other team he has a good chance of being a healthy scratch.

Honestly, I can respect Parise for wanting to win a Cup and waiving that NTC. What I don't respect is he could have done this years ago and now that he is going to see his salary drop down and in 2 more years only making $2 million a year then down to $1 million he wants out. I have zero respect as this showed he was here for the money only. As a Wild fan this is for sure falling on the sword but I hope he sits here and rots with zero chance to win a Cup. He deserves it. He knew the consequences of signing his contract. He knew he was making himself untradeable. He knew he handcuffed the team to a very short period to win when other players were still on cheap contracts. He didn't have a gun to his head and forced to sign. I don't feel one ounce of sorry for him. And now that he is going to be making less and less money he wants out. Screw him. I hope it's miserable for him here until he retires. I hope people stop buying anything with his name on it so he starts losing money there.

I was listening to NHL Morning Skate on Sirius this morning and they were talking a little about this trade that didn't happen. They said he still probably is the most popular Wild player by the fans, which I do believe because of the whole one of us bs, but they said the locker room needs a change. So even they are suspecting that there is issues with the locker room and the way they said it points to the vets like Parise. Glad to see pretty good NHL guys point this out.

1 hour ago, EJ0226 said:

This isn't about helping the team or teaching the young guys. In his 15 years you never saw him improving the young guys, In fact if the young guys play didn't match Koivu and then Parise and Suter, they would lose TOI, go to the AHL or be shipped out of here. This is a selfish move as he knows here he will still get TOI even if he literally pulled his breezers down and took a chit on the ice in the middle of the game. He wanted to be on one team only. He has no desire to win a Cup and this move shows this. The most overpaid 4th line Center of all time. On any other team he has a good chance of being a healthy scratch.

Honestly, I can respect Parise for wanting to win a Cup and waiving that NTC. What I don't respect is he could have done this years ago and now that he is going to see his salary drop down and in 2 more years only making $2 million a year then down to $1 million he wants out. I have zero respect as this showed he was here for the money only. As a Wild fan this is for sure falling on the sword but I hope he sits here and rots with zero chance to win a Cup. He deserves it. He knew the consequences of signing his contract. He knew he was making himself untradeable. He knew he handcuffed the team to a very short period to win when other players were still on cheap contracts. He didn't have a gun to his head and forced to sign. I don't feel one ounce of sorry for him. And now that he is going to be making less and less money he wants out. Screw him. I hope it's miserable for him here until he retires. I hope people stop buying anything with his name on it so he starts losing money there.

I was listening to NHL Morning Skate on Sirius this morning and they were talking a little about this trade that didn't happen. They said he still probably is the most popular Wild player by the fans, which I do believe because of the whole one of us bs, but they said the locker room needs a change. So even they are suspecting that there is issues with the locker room and the way they said it points to the vets like Parise. Glad to see pretty good NHL guys point this out.

I hate to say it, but to a lot of the more casual fans...Zach Parise's like the Joe Mauer of the Wild.  Immensely popular among those for that same fact, one of us...and that is literally the most important thing to them.  They'll start to tear up when they think about his hustle on that one play a long time ago...or about his dad.  

The fact Parise waived the NMC does tell us he does want to play for a Stanley Cup and there is hope in that he might still be willing to leave.  My guess is they perhaps try again this summer.  

I disagree with the idea he came here only for money.  He could've gone somewhere else and made more $$.  I think Detroit was offering him more $$$ than the Wild did.  He thought the Wild were in better position to compete and I think coming off a Stanley Cup final run of his own...he thought he was ready to put the Wild on his back and lead it there.  But the mediocre team is what it appears to be...and it performed the way many of us thought it would.  Eventually it donned on him that it was a lost cause and that his best chances at winning a cup are somewhere else.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

The fact Parise waived the NMC does tell us he does want to play for a Stanley Cup and there is hope in that he might still be willing to leave.  My guess is they perhaps try again this summer.  

Maybe Parise waiving his NMC will finally make Fan Boy #1 wake up and realize this team is mediocre at best and to let Guerin tear it down (as much as he can...)

And I wonder how the rest of the team feels now that Parise basically told them "I want to play for a Cup Contender, and you guys ain't it" by asking to be moved...

• Like 2

So, was Suter not asked to waive his NMC/NTC because the Wild think he is worth retaining?  Or, is it because he has little value (no teams inquiring about him), or the Wild know he has no interest in chasing a S.C.?  It would be interesting to know, since their was mention of moving both Koivu and Parise but not Suter. Either way, the days of anyone seeing 9, 11, and 20 as anything more than boat anchors upon this franchise has to be here now -even to the most casual fan.  I join EJ in hoping the end is painful for them - I just wish it wasn’t on the Wild ‘clogging up the works’ for the future. 

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

My guess is that Guerin recognises the Wild's problems, and has chosen the path of least resistance from Leipold. First Zucker who was already ok'd to go in the Fenton era, then Boudreau who was going to go anyways, then Koivu, who is gone pretty soon as well, no matter what. Then we have Parise and Suter left. People in this forum have speculated that Parise might be willing to go. Guerin draw the same conclusion. The toughest nut to crack is Suter. He's got the worst character of the trio, and he's the owner's pet. I'm thinking Guerin is getting the field ready to try to get rid of Suter as well. It ain't necessarily gonna be easy, or even possible.

22 minutes ago, EmptyShelf said:

So, was Suter not asked to waive his NMC/NTC because the Wild think he is worth retaining?  Or, is it because he has little value (no teams inquiring about him), or the Wild know he has no interest in chasing a S.C.?  It would be interesting to know, since their was mention of moving both Koivu and Parise but not Suter. Either way, the days of anyone seeing 9, 11, and 20 as anything more than boat anchors upon this franchise has to be here now -even to the most casual fan.  I join EJ in hoping the end is painful for them - I just wish it wasn’t on the Wild ‘clogging up the works’ for the future. 

Parise wasn't asked to waive it. Parise initiated it. He went to Fenton in the summer of 2019 and told Fenton if he could find the right match for him to go to a Cup contender, he'd waive his NMC for a chance to play for the Cup. And it was with the Islanders, but Fenton didn't want to take back the Ladd contract, so that deal never materialized.

And there were no rumors of this deal at all last summer, so you know Fenton and Lamoriello were very tight lipped about it. Maybe the same thing happened with Suter. He was approached and said "No thanks" and that was the end of it. Guerin's not going to blab everything to the press...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I hate to say it, but to a lot of the more casual fans...Zach Parise's like the Joe Mauer of the Wild.  Immensely popular among those for that same fact, one of us...and that is literally the most important thing to them.  They'll start to tear up when they think about his hustle on that one play a long time ago...or about his dad.  

I disagree with the idea he came here only for money.  He could've gone somewhere else and made more $$.  I think Detroit was offering him more $$$ than the Wild did.  He thought the Wild were in better position to compete and I think coming off a Stanley Cup final run of his own...he thought he was ready to put the Wild on his back and lead it there.  But the mediocre team is what it appears to be...and it performed the way many of us thought it would.  Eventually it donned on him that it was a lost cause and that his best chances at winning a cup are somewhere else.  

Normally I would agree but here's why I think he is here for the money only. Yes he could have went elsewhere and maybe made more on his contract but here in Minnesota he has his roots and knows how so many people here have the "one of us" mentality. So he makes a little less on a contract but cashes in on merchandise with his name as you knows the drones will buy it up and boy have them. There is a good chance he wouldn't have sold what he sold on another team as his production wouldn't be enough to warrant fans to swoop up his stuff. Plus being able to have dinners and hang out with the owner isn't a bad perk here when it wouldn't have happened elsewhere. Now his salary starts decreasing next season and continues to drop big amounts after that and now all of a sudden sees the team isn't going to win a Cup. He had to have seen this years ago. I don't like it and smell some chit if he tries to say otherwise.

Normally I agree with you completely @CreaseAndAssist but I have to disagree with you on this. But I do fear a trade to get him or Suter out of here. The Cap Recapture could really cripple the Wild and don't think clearing them off of the Wild is the best idea either. Personally I rather seem them rot and not get a Cup here as they made the franchise into a joke that it is. They don't deserve to go elsewhere to try and win a cup. As much as this pains me as a fan Leipold doesn't deserve to win a Cup to allow a chit show 3 ring circus happen.

I do hate the "fans" who buy into the "one of us" and continue to pump money into a mediocre product at best.

I just believe in my heart Parise would have liked to win here but it was more important to cash those checks. Now the checks are going to be a lot less, he has made his money and wants to head out and win elsewhere.

Edited by EJ0226

Lou Lamoreillo loves college guys. He was a player, captain then coach and athletic director at Providence College and commissioner of Hockey East before becoming president of the New Jersey Devils. A lot of people thought he reached when he took Parise 13th overall out of North Dakota. He fought hard to extend Parise before the free agent formed a pact with Wisconsin buddy Suter and the pair selected Minnesota.  Lamoreillo has had a remarkable career. The guy assembled a number of USA hockey and Olympic teams and had a minor league baseball player manager career before returning to his alma mater to coach hockey. Guy is 77 years old.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Icechipper said:

Lou Lamoreillo loves college guys. He was a player, captain then coach and athletic director at Providence College and commissioner of Hockey East before becoming president of the New Jersey Devils. A lot of people thought he reached when he took Parise 13th overall out of North Dakota. He fought hard to extend Parise before the free agent formed a pact with Wisconsin buddy Suter and the pair selected Minnesota.  Lamoreillo has had a remarkable career. The guy assembled a number of USA hockey and Olympic teams and had a minor league baseball player manager career before returning to his alma mater to coach hockey. Guy is 77 years old.

Kind of one of those what if he could have signed Parise forcing the Wild to have to rebuild and form a team correctly. Too bad. But Lamoreillos resume is quite a read. What a adventure he has had in his life!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Parise wasn't asked to waive it. Parise initiated it. He went to Fenton in the summer of 2019 and told Fenton if he could find the right match for him to go to a Cup contender, he'd waive his NMC for a chance to play for the Cup. And it was with the Islanders, but Fenton didn't want to take back the Ladd contract, so that deal never materialized.

And there were no rumors of this deal at all last summer, so you know Fenton and Lamoriello were very tight lipped about it. Maybe the same thing happened with Suter. He was approached and said "No thanks" and that was the end of it. Guerin's not going to blab everything to the press...

I wasn’t aware that Parise initiated this discussion last summer - good to know.  Do you think Suter was approached and declined?  I am just curious.  It is always interesting to understand what might really be going on, as some rumors they want out there ‘get legs,’ while others they don’t, are totally unknown.  I would be encouraged to know a few things:

1). That CL has allowed BG since at last summer to ‘clean up the mess’ including breaking up the Country Club.  This would give us all the assurance that he is not a TOTAL imbecile (since we are stuck with him as owner) and will try for 5 more years with these rejects for a ‘tweak to win a SC’

2). Knowing that 11 and 20 at least asked to be considered in a trade to a contender (whether successful or not), with CLs approval, let’s us know they have at least a tiny bit of competitive fire and pride, and are not going to soak us until the bitter end no matter what is proposed. 

3). Knowing 1 and 2, at least we can feel that there might be a pinhole of light at the end of what has (and may be) a long and dark tunnel of ineptitude and empty promise, which presents no promise until 2026.  

4). Perhaps we will NOT have to lose some promising talent in a Seattle expansion draft if we can offload all these millstones prior by ANY means. 

18 hours ago, EmptyShelf said:

I wasn’t aware that Parise initiated this discussion last summer - good to know.  Do you think Suter was approached and declined?  I am just curious.  It is always interesting to understand what might really be going on, as some rumors they want out there ‘get legs,’ while others they don’t, are totally unknown.  I would be encouraged to know a few things:

1). That CL has allowed BG since at last summer to ‘clean up the mess’ including breaking up the Country Club.  This would give us all the assurance that he is not a TOTAL imbecile (since we are stuck with him as owner) and will try for 5 more years with these rejects for a ‘tweak to win a SC’

2). Knowing that 11 and 20 at least asked to be considered in a trade to a contender (whether successful or not), with CLs approval, let’s us know they have at least a tiny bit of competitive fire and pride, and are not going to soak us until the bitter end no matter what is proposed. 

3). Knowing 1 and 2, at least we can feel that there might be a pinhole of light at the end of what has (and may be) a long and dark tunnel of ineptitude and empty promise, which presents no promise until 2026.  

4). Perhaps we will NOT have to lose some promising talent in a Seattle expansion draft if we can offload all these millstones prior by ANY means. 

Hard to say if Suter was approached or not. If Guerin gave Koivu the option of waiving his NMC to go to a contender, and was making arrangements at Parise's request to move him to a contender, I would guess that Suter was asked as well if he wanted to go to a contender, and he declined. To me it wouldn't be logical to ask two of those players and not the third. But this is pure speculation. The only things that are fact are Guerin asked Koivu if he was willing to waive his NMC for a shot at the Cup, and that Guerin tried to resurrect a deal with the Islanders to move Parise for a shot at the Cup.

If Parise asked Fenton to be moved last summer, that kind of indicates to me there is at least talk of a rebuild. And Parise made it very clear in that Athletic article that he wants no part of a rebuild. He wants a shot at the Cup. But by asking to be moved, it also appears that Parise feels this team is not going to give him that shot at the Cup. Not quite the Christian Laettner "Loser, Loser, Loser..." speech, but you kind of wonder how his team mates are going to take that. Parise asked to be traded away from the Wild because he wants a shot at the Cup. But isn't that what this team is supposedly doing? Going for the Cup?

Do you really think the players don’t realize that while they could make the playoffs, and their goalie could play out of his mind and steal a series or two to get to the finals, and their opponent could lose both their goalies, it probably won’t happen. 
I mean I’m pretty good at what I do, but I know I am not the best. 
I think they know it too. 

On 2/25/2020 at 12:13 PM, EmptyShelf said:

I am not a Suter fan, but I'd guess he'd have a fair amount of interest.  His game is such that he may not completely fall off a cliff for a while.  He's had another season where he reached at least 40 points.  But I think its pretty well known Suter really doesn't want to leave.  

Russo seemed to say the Wild were the ones that backed out.  Initially we we perhaps in the mix for a 1st round pick and perhaps Keiffer Bellows to be the return for Zach Parise along with Ladd's ugly contract.  But as the Islanders gave that pick for Pageau...the offer from the Islanders was less enticing and considering you had to pay Ladd's $3 million signing bonus each time for the next 3 seasons they didn't see the cost savings...so they stepped away.  When the math doesn't offer much relief I guess I can accept that...but Parise did waive his NMC.  

That cannot be understated.  Koivu also supposedly had some interest too...but Russo said he could only guess at some of the teams.  He said the Wild were also in on dealing for Trocheck and the price would've been Brodin but Carolina offered more so they got him.  Lastly, Russo stated that there was no interest for Pateryn, it really was his agent kicking those tires trying to get the pylon traded.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I am not a Suter fan, but I'd guess he'd have a fair amount of interest.  His game is such that he may not completely fall off a cliff for a while.  He's had another season where he reached at least 40 points.  But I think its pretty well known Suter really doesn't want to leave.  

Russo seemed to say the Wild were the ones that backed out.  Initially we we perhaps in the mix for a 1st round pick and perhaps Keiffer Bellows to be the return for Zach Parise along with Ladd's ugly contract.  But as the Islanders gave that pick for Pageau...the offer from the Islanders was less enticing and considering you had to pay Ladd's $3 million signing bonus each time for the next 3 seasons they didn't see the cost savings...so they stepped away.  When the math doesn't offer much relief I guess I can accept that...but Parise did waive his NMC.  

That cannot be understated.  Koivu also supposedly had some interest too...but Russo said he could only guess at some of the teams.  He said the Wild were also in on dealing for Trocheck and the price would've been Brodin but Carolina offered more so they got him.  Lastly, Russo stated that there was no interest for Pateryn, it really was his agent kicking those tires trying to get the pylon traded.  

I was listening to morning skate and from what they said the Wild were suppose to get Bellows, Ladd and a 1st round pick and Islanders wanted Koivu and Parise but Koivu refused to waive his NTC. This made it so the Islanders dropped the 1st round pick and the Wild just dropped it from there.

I was one trying to give some credit back to Koivu for the last few years as not being as much as a problem but this moves shows he only cares about himself only. He knows he is not winning a Cup here. His career is done after this season. The team needs to rebuild and this trade would have helped. But no, because you want to play for one team only?! Get over yourself!!! You have never been anything but a career 3rd-4th liner center. You don't get your name on the Cup because you stayed on one team. It's disgusting and people need to boo him every time he touches the ice. One last **** you to the franchise and fans from him. He never wanted a Cup.

Edited by EJ0226

Yup. Koivu brought down the deal that would have solved two thirds of the trio problem, and I'm pretty certain that next season the organisation rewards him with the lifting of his shirt to the roof of the arena. Even if they hate his guts, he is probably going to be used for propaganda purposes. No conference title banners, or Stanley Cup banners, so they are going to try to compensate the lack of real success with a bread and circuses act like that.

• Like 1

I've seen these rumors that Koivu is going through a divorce, and am wondering if that played a part in him not waiving his NMC (if the rumors are true). Who knows. He'll be gone in another couple months anyways. Providing Guerin doesn't get all mushy cookies and broken hearts and give him an extension...

9 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

I've seen these rumors that Koivu is going through a divorce, and am wondering if that played a part in him not waiving his NMC (if the rumors are true). Who knows. He'll be gone in another couple months anyways. Providing Guerin doesn't get all mushy cookies and broken hearts and give him an extension...

The rumor is true, his ex-wife-to-be confirmed it last week to pretty much every news station over here in Finland.

1 hour ago, Lonkkis said:

The rumor is true, his ex-wife-to-be confirmed it last week to pretty much every news station over here in Finland.

If that is the case, then I can see why he chose not to waive the NMC. Probably wouldn't look too good to be going off to NYC and leaving the family behind...

2 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

According to the Finnish news I saw, sounds like they filed or divorce earlier this month.  I think disrupting the kids lives anymore probably played a factor too.  

12 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

According to the Finnish news I saw, sounds like they filed or divorce earlier this month.  I think disrupting the kids lives anymore probably played a factor too.  

And that's the thing I think we as fans sometimes forget, that even though these guys are getting paid millions to play a game, they are human and have similar issues as the fans do.

I'm sure those of us with kids would make a similar decision as Koivu did if we were in that situation. The kids are already going to be upset with the family breaking up, now Dad is going on the road for the next two months, or longer? I can see why he declined to waive his NMC...

• Like 2

From the family perspective it's understandable. However, NHL players get paid huge sums for a reason. They play a game with a high risk of some kind of injury, they spend so much time with the team and traveling with the team that relationships are at a risk, they choose a profession that they can't continue for more than 15 - 20 years maximum. The money is there to compensate all that. To pay for the health costs etc. There would have been costly ways to make the Isles months easier for the kids. Koivu could retire totally from hockey by the end of the season and take the kids fishing every day for fifteen years from the end of this season, if he thinks his being away has been traumatic. I'm not saying that in his shoes I would have acted differently, but I am saying that another kind of decision would have been possible for him. He's accepted a role with a lot of responsibility, and given the means to carry that responsibility.