Wild trade deadline

Icechipper

I feel for Mikko, his ex-wife and their kids. Divorce sucks for everybody. But honestly, he has wanted to retire on one team only so even if there was no divorce he wouldn't have waived his NTC. I still believe the move by him was for his own selfish reasons. It's clear that no Cup will be won here. He had a shot to go win one. He decided not to pursue it. That is what frustrates me. Your "stars" and "top players" should be wanting to win one badly. Parise is the only one who showed this but only after he has absorbed so much money from the Wild. Now his salary keeps decreasing and he wants out. The Wild were nothing more then a cash in vacation with no expectations of winning a Cup.

Koivu's decision might have to do with the Finnish hockey culture of his generation as well. Team first. I could imagine that for him winning the Stanley Cup would not mean much if the team winning is irrelevant to him. Some will to win as an individual too might give some extra power to one's game, in the style of Fiala or Foligno, for example. But it is what is. Hopefully he really ends his career here. It's time to move on.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

From the family perspective it's understandable. However, NHL players get paid huge sums for a reason. They play a game with a high risk of some kind of injury, they spend so much time with the team and traveling with the team that relationships are at a risk, they choose a profession that they can't continue for more than 15 - 20 years maximum. The money is there to compensate all that. To pay for the health costs etc. There would have been costly ways to make the Isles months easier for the kids. Koivu could retire totally from hockey by the end of the season and take the kids fishing every day for fifteen years from the end of this season, if he thinks his being away has been traumatic. I'm not saying that in his shoes I would have acted differently, but I am saying that another kind of decision would have been possible for him. He's accepted a role with a lot of responsibility, and given the means to carry that responsibility.

Agree for the most part but you kind of make it sound like his responsibility is to the team first then himself by allowing the trade to happen.

You sign a contract, In sports or any job (doesn't really matter the amount) to provide for you and your family First. It's then up to the GM to make the #'s work, Not you to worry about how this may affect your team...Everyone here would do the same.

Now knowing there's a divorce fresh in the works, Maybe Koivu doesn't want to pile on the distractions for the short period of time left in this season. It has to be pretty hard to do your 'job' with all that going on and the uncertainty while possibly ending your career.

Maybe by not waving his NTC, It's Koivu's way of saying he just wants to play out these games and end his career as simply as possible.

Now if for some reason he wants to keep going another season, Of course the Wild organization will bend over and give him another extention as some sort of honor for his time here. Then I would say he could've sucked it up for a month or so while making the transition to another team and then focus fresh on the next season.

All this explains the sudden statement by Koivu and then shortly after the Parise rumor. If that's how BG was going to move Parise and Koivu screwed it up, Then BG was either testing the waters and didn't care if it went into summer. I find it hard to believe if he really wanted to move Parise now, That he didn't have some alternatives to use.

At least as the deal started to fall apart, BG didn't pull a Fletcher or Fenton. 

That's a good point about me seeing this as a team first thing, thus possibly paying too little attention to the individual side of the thing. If Koivu was not the captain of the team, I'd perhaps look at it differently. By accepting captaincy, he expanded his responsibilities over himself and his family. And even from his family point of view, one could argue he could've taken the team first road. The divorce is a fact he can't change anymore and the months in the Isles would not have needed to be the end of the world for the children. What he can still do for the good of his children is to live in a way that sets examples on how to behave when they grow up. One thing he needs to teach them is how to assess if one is strong enough to take responsibility of others, and if taken, how to carry the responsibility, even when that would demand one doing things that one would personally find very pugnacious to do. We all need to keep on doing our jobs to the best of our abilities, despite any personal tragedies life throws at us. If we can't handle the tragedies, we lessen our responsibilities.

I agree on BG. I liked the fact he didn't do Fentonesque trades here. If there's no value, there should be no trade. Especially in the case of Brodin. If other GM's don't understand he's worth a 1C, let's just keep him.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

Here's a link to a Guerin interview:

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/rebuild-or-reload-for-wild-gm-bill-guerin-the-answer-isnt-black-or-white

According to this no rebuild but a retooling and developing the development of prospects.

Politician.

Interesting to see how he "developes the development" of Kahkonen. He's seriously tearing it up in Iowa. His numbers for the past 6 weeks are breathtaking, another SO last night.

On 2/28/2020 at 9:45 PM, lynxrattle said:

By accepting captaincy, he expanded his responsibilities over himself and his family. And even from his family point of view, one could argue he could've taken the team first road. The divorce is a fact he can't change anymore and the months in the Isles would not have needed to be the end of the world for the children. What he can still do for the good of his children is to live in a way that sets examples on how to behave when they grow up. One thing he needs to teach them is how to assess if one is strong enough to take responsibility of others, and if taken, how to carry the responsibility, even when that would demand one doing things that one would personally find very pugnacious to do. We all need to keep on doing our jobs to the best of our abilities, despite any personal tragedies life throws at us. If we can't handle the tragedies, we lessen our responsibilities.

I will agree even more now given the new info on his 'activities'. Like I said in the GDT vs Wash, He needs to lead by example on AND off the ice. I wonder if becoming a 4th line C is a little way of the team handling this unfortunate situation.

On 2/29/2020 at 8:10 AM, Icechipper said:

The captain chose to stay with his ship and to lead by stepping back to the fourth line.....

So what does that say about the alternate captain that decided he had a better shot at a Cup with the Islanders and requested a trade?

• Like 1