Game 53: Flyers at Red Wings; 2/3/20 @ 7:30 PM

Howie58

PROJECTED STARTING LINEUPS (subject to change, will be updated)

FLYERS

25 James van Riemsdyk - 28 Claude Giroux - 11 Travis Konecny
49 Joel Farabee - 14 Sean Couturier - 93 Jakub Voracek
21 Scott Laughton - 13 Kevin Hayes - 18 Tyler Pitlick
12 Michael Raffl - 82 Connor Bunnaman - 62 Nicolas Aube-Kubel

9 Ivan Provorov - 15 Matt Niskanen
6 Travis Sanheim -5 Phil Myers
8 Robert Hägg - 61 Justin Braun

34 Alex Lyon
37 Brian Elliott

Power Play 1: Giroux, JVR, Konecny, Hayes, Provorov.
Power Play 2: Couturier, Farabee, Voracek, Sanheim, Niskanen.

Scratches: 79 Carter Hart (abdominal muscle strain), 53 Shayne Gostisbehere (day-to-day, knee).

LTIR: 55 Sam Morin (torn ACL, out for season), 23 Oskar Lindblom (Ewing sarcoma, out for season), 19 Nolan Patrick (migraines).

RED WINGS

59 Tyler Bertuzzi - 71 Dylan Larkin - 72 Andreas Athanasiou
29 Brendan Perlini - 51 Valtteri Filppula - 14 Robby Fabbri
43 Darren Helm - 41 Luke Glendening - 73 Adam Erne
8 Justin Abdelkader - 70 Christoffer Ehn - 48 Givani Smith

17 Filip Hronek - 21 Dennis Cholowski
22 Patrik Nemeth - 3 Alex Biega
52 Jonathan Ericsson - 74 Madison Bowey

35 Jimmy Howard
45 Jonathan Bernier

Power Play 1: Larkin, Bertuzzi, Hronek, Cholowski, Athanasiou
Power Play 2: Smith, Perlini, Filppula, Bowey, Fabbri

Scratches: 81 Frans Nielsen (day-to-day, upper body), 83 Trevor Daley (healthy), 11 Filip Zadina (lower body), 25 Mike Green (upper body).

IR: 39 Anthony Mantha (upper body), 65 Danny DeKeyser (out for season, back surgery).

Greetings:

I am glad they're keeping the Avalanche lineups.  I also hope they reward Lyon for having a good start. Equally important, it's time to see if he factors into the post-Moose era.  On that score--I'd ship Moose out for a draft pick if some playoff-bound team wants a seasoned backup.  

Latest odds make us a heavy favorite.  Detroit has allowed 3.9 goals per game at home over the last month.

https://www.procappers.com/nhl-free-picks/2020-02-03/philadelphia-flyers-vs-detroit-red-wings/23397

We need to score early and show a killer instinct.  

9 hours ago, intheslot said:

25 James van Riemsdyk - 28 Claude Giroux - 11 Travis Konecny

This line has to step up. I want to see all 3 especially the best player in the world show some intensity...i want to see the win puck battles.

I want to see them on the score sheet. If this line which includes the Captain sets an example the team will follow.

No more talk. Time to do it. Everyone in the boat needs to be rowing....points are there to be had. Regulation wins!

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

On that score--I'd ship Moose out for a draft pick if some playoff-bound team wants a seasoned backup.  

So, this presumes the Flyers aren't a playoff team ?

I wouldn't trade Elliot based on Lyon's one good game.

Lyon was lit up in his other call ups and games played at the NHL level.

And that opinion is based on the presumption of the Flyers being sellers at the deadline.

I don't think they will be sellers,  so unless someone is willing to overpay stupidly, like Tyler Seguin for Moose straight up stupid. I wouldn't make this move. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

I wouldn't trade Elliot based on Lyon's one good game.

I agree in fact i would try and trade Lyon first.

With Sandstrom and Ustimenko both slotted for LV there is no where for Lyon and i'm not sold on going with him as Hart's backup next year....so might as well see if you can get something for him now.

Besides Berube has had 3 shutouts in his last 8 games with the Phantoms who won't make the playoffs any way get what you can for him.

Or keep him if the price isn't right Flyers could need him to if they make the playoffs.

I am not sure if this is a playoff team.  Besides...what does that mean in a league where 50%+ make the playoffs.  Yes...there are magical runs but my suspicion is that we will simply get run over in Round 1.  

If Moose gets a second round pick.  Fine. Lyon might get a lower pick or prospect.  Fine too.  Don't forget that Moose has had his bombs. 

We have to accept a reality that a lot of our recent high picks may never see another NHL game.  We need to replace them.  I also think our Captain's best days are behind him.  And we have limited cap space.  Give AV more talent to mold.  Shoot....Columbus was effectively gutted last year and they are still ahead of us.  

• Like 2

@Howie58

I don't share your opinion but I can appreciate it. 

I think Tampa and maybe Washington - I'm not sold on the Caps- are head and shoulders better than the Flyers, the rest, I think the Flyers can beat, we've just seen them play Pgh better than even in the last two meetings. Going into the break they beat some very good teams including St Louis on the road... I don't think teams are looking past this group this year. 

I really don't think any of CBJ, NYI, CAR, are juggernauts that can't be caught. I don't like the match-up with the Panthers, for some reason they have this group's number but save TBL, I don't see where the Flyers can't win at least one round this year.  I don't think this is a one line team the way it has been for the past 5 years.  It's just not a 3 line team yet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

@Howie58

I don't share your opinion but I can appreciate it. 

I think Tampa and maybe Washington - I'm not sold on the Caps- are head and shoulders better than the Flyers, the rest, I think the Flyers can beat, we've just seen them play Pgh better than even in the last two meetings. Going into the break they beat some very good teams including St Louis on the road... I don't think teams are looking past this group this year. 

I really don't think any of CBJ, NYI, CAR, are juggernauts that can't be caught. I don't like the match-up with the Panthers, for some reason they have this group's number but save TBL, I don't see where the Flyers can't win at least one round this year.  I don't think this is a one line team the way it has been for the past 5 years.  It's just not a 3 line team yet. 

Howdy:

I do think we are much better than last year.  Whether that's good enough...tough to say.  I just worry that when we take three out of a possible four points over a weekend and still find ourselves on the bubble, it's a reminder of how far we have to go.

Where you are spot on is that a playoff helps the youngins in building experience for the future.  

If we have one more potential 30 goal scorer, things might change.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

it's a reminder of how far we have to go.

To me it's more of a reminder of not playing down to the level of competition...basically beat the team you are suppose to beat an i feel without looking back and doing the math (ok i will quickly) if you don't lose to Ott 2-1 in november (2 points).

To San Jose and the Kings in December (4 points).

Montreat at home in January (2 points). That is 8 points right there against teams them should have beat and they would be sitting there tied with the Penguins for 2nd in the metro or the very least with a 6 point cushion over the Blue Jackets.

But no they didn't they squandered the games and points. And now here they sit having to win out and maybe needing some help like they did down they stretch last year.

And we'll at least with last year we could at least give them the excuse they fired a coach and went through 8 goalies.

And this year they added guys and look to almost be in the same situation, sure they had the Patrick and Lindblom issues but in my mind still had enough to overcome it if the guys making the big bucks ( i won't name them it rubs fold here the wrong way) had stepped up.

So here they are can they put the Wings away tonight soundly???

We'll see i am ready for them to show they have turned the corner.

• Like 2

Wings are simply dreadful, all we can hope for is the first pick in the draft. Howard has not won a game since October, Athanasiou comes back tonight but Zadina is out.

Least amount of goals scored of any team, most given up of any team, if that continues that way my boys will be one of only a few teams to have been worst in both in the same season. The Wings play hard, they are even fairly disciplined but seriously lack talent.

5-1 Flyers for the final score. The game wont even be that close though.

Flyers are just too damn cute, especially on the power play. You can see the difference with the Laughton line. Work, get the shot, get it on net. 

If the other lines would keep it that simple, no one is talking about needing help on offense. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Flyers are just too damn cute, especially on the power play. You can see the difference with the Laughton line. Work, get the shot, get it on net. 

If the other lines would keep it that simple, no one is talking about needing help on offense. 

It would be nice if G played on the left side again.  And get Provorov off the top unit