Game 54: Devils at Flyers; 2/6/20 @ 7 PM

Howie58

45 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I agree and think this take is largely an emotional one from the fan base this year, it has it's legitimate roots in past years.

However, this year I think it's more fan reaction than team performance.

This team is on pace for a 100 pt season it is 31- 18 and 7  13 games over .500 and hasn't lost two games in row for over a month and had a similar streak prior to the new year west coast road trip where they learned their leading scorer had cancer. 

TL:DR The team isn't really jeckyl and hyde.  It's mostly fan perception. The team mostly wins.

Very well put.  I agree with this.  

30 minutes ago, radoran said:

It's that this has happened essentially three times in the past seven years and all of them ended in first round losses. In between those years they fell on their faces and missed the playoffs. Rightly or wrongly, that's where some fans see Jeckyll and Hyde.

Legit point.  Hopefully having new a new coach, a new 2C, a legit and experience 1st pair and a influx of young but getting more experience dmen seems to be helping this season.   I don't see why it wouldn't continue into the playoffs.   Imagine getting back Patrick?  

30 minutes ago, radoran said:

This team - and the "core" especially - has something to prove - and they've just got to go out and prove it. And not "haven't lost two in a row in over a month" prove it. Not "beat up the Caps" and "took 3 of four points against the Pens" prove it.

Agree.  Beating them in the regular season is one thing, as you say.    However, proving they can not only play with but win against the teams above them in the standings will go along way for their confidence when the play them in the playoffs.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

I agree and think this take is largely an emotional one from the fan base this year, it has it's legitimate roots in past years.

However, this year I think it's more fan reaction than team performance.

This team is on pace for a 100 pt season it is 31- 18 and 7  13 games over .500 and hasn't lost two games in row for over a month and had a similar streak prior to the new year west coast road trip where they learned their leading scorer had cancer. 

TL:DR The team isn't really jeckyl and hyde.  It's mostly fan perception. The team mostly wins.

2-6 through first 8, losing 4 in a row

Lost 4 in a row in Nov

3 straight in Dec including a 7-3 pounding by the Jets

6-1 loss to San Jose in Dec

Lost 4 straight end of Dec, beginning of Jan, giving up 5 goals a game.  Went 2-6 through first 11 days of Jan

Road record: 11–13–3

Home record: 18–5–4

Perception is reality

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, CoachX said:

2-6 through first 8, losing 4 in a row

Lost 4 in a row in Nov

3 straight in Dec including a 7-3 pounding by the Jets

6-1 loss to San Jose in Dec

Lost 4 straight end of Dec, beginning of Jan, giving up 5 goals a game.  Went 2-6 through first 11 days of Jan

Road record: 11–13–3

Home record: 18–5–4

Perception is reality

The four game losing streak in November had 2 shoot out losses and losing by a goal in regulation.

Did they play badly or just have a poor result ? 

the road woes I attribute to a lot of young guys learning to be pros. It seems that the team has played better on the road since January.

I think the length of the trips being shorter and the coaching staff figuring out how they want to practice/skate  on the road has taken some time to figure out.

They're not going to win them all.  Nights like this Devils game happen to every team in the NHL.  The ice was tilted in the Flyers favor all night, they hit some posts and didn't get timely saves when they were needed and the game turned ugly. It happens.

The Flyers haven't had their asses kicked like the 7-1 Pens beat down or pick a game from the new year's road trip -since that road trip. 

Like the stripping the "C" nonsense, I don't find much merit in the jeckyl/ hyde narrative this season.

They've been a "good" bad team for a while- now it seems as though they're growing into a good "good" team. That's helping me to enjoy the hockey more. 

Edited by mojo1917

52 minutes ago, Digityman said:

However, proving they can not only play with but win against the teams above them in the standings will go along way for their confidence when the play them in the playoffs.   

Flip side is that if they'd beaten the fourth worst team in the league, rested, on home ice, they're third in the Division in a guaranteed playoff spot two points behind the Pens. Instead they're sitting as an 8 facing an Isles that that also manhandled the Caps.

I absolutely agree that they can make the playoffs. I'll buy that they're "definitely a playoff team" when they clinch a berth.

• Like 3
  • Good Post 1

1 hour ago, radoran said:

They're 26 games away.

So go do it.

And to piggy back on that. They aren't going to get any help from other teams nor should they rely on it.

They are going to have to make their own way.

Ain't nothing wrong with that it builds character and confidence things they need.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

The four game losing streak in November had 2 shoot out losses and losing by a goal in regulation.

Did they play badly or just have a poor result ? 

the road woes I attribute to a lot of young guys learning to be pros. It seems that the team has played better on the road since January.

I think the length of the trips being shorter and the coaching staff figuring out how they want to practice/skate  on the road has taken some time to figure out.

They're not going to win them all.  Nights like this Devils game happen to every team in the NHL.  The ice was tilted in the Flyers favor all night, they hit some posts and didn't get timely saves when they were needed and the game turned ugly. It happens.

The Flyers haven't had their asses kicked like the 7-1 Pens beat down or pick a game from the new year's road trip -since that road trip. 

Like the stripping the "C" nonsense, I don't find much merit in the jeckyl/ hyde narrative this season.

They've been a "good" bad team for a while- now it seems as though they're growing into a good "good" team. That's helping me to enjoy the hockey more. 

I appreciate you seeing everything through o/b lenses. However, I dont share your enthusiasm. Until I see a team that can win in the playoffs, and continue to get better as the seasons go, I wont jump on the bandwagon. I believe in the coach and i like the GM. I dont think G should be stripped of the "C", and I dont think I ever said that. If I did, i misspoke, because that is not how I feel. However, I think he is declining as a player and isn't doing a good enough job as captain. Fact is, maybe he just cant anymore. And when you have three main scorers (jake, jvr, G) all regressing,  being a team just good enough to make the playoffs does not give me joy-joy feelings

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I appreciate you seeing everything through o/b lenses. However, I dont share your enthusiasm

That's too bad, I imagine your profession tempers your optimism about a great many things.

I watch hockey for fun, looking for the worst in every possible situation my favorite team encounters would make it, Not. fun.  

The team is not "there" yet. The declining "best players" will likely be pretty good until the ascending best players replace them.  We're seeing that start to happen with Couturier, TK and Provorov leading that group. 

I was associating the jeckyl/hyde conversation with the Giroux is a bad leader conversation, as both being ideas where memory may be influencing emotions and ultimately opinions. 

Wasn't really saying... you Coach X always say he sucks...wahhh.  

Anyway I'm hoping the boys break out some whoop ass on the talent-less ****s known as the New York Islanders tonite.