Game 54: Devils at Flyers; 2/6/20 @ 7 PM

Howie58

I hate feeling this way, but I see a second half collapse. As games get more important,  teams will ramp up their efforts. The Flyers will be exposed and break under pressure

Edited by CoachX

1 minute ago, CoachX said:

I hate feeling this way, but I see a second half collapse. As games get more important,  teams will ramp up their efforts. The Flyers will be exposed and break under pressure

What is the point of getting out of bed in the morning?

Ok, don't answer that.

1 minute ago, CoachX said:

As games get more important,  teams will ramp up their efforts. The Flyers will be exposed and break under pressure

As should the Flyers.   Feb, March and April are when you see what your team is made of.   Last night was a **** effort.  The coaches know it and the players know it.    

That being said, just like every other loss, what matters is what happens in the next couple games.   They beat the Avs and lost to the Devils.  I had it the other way around but the final result was still 1 and 1.    Maybe they steal one on Saturday.  If so, they come out of the last 3 games 2-1 instead of 1-2 which is really what should have happened.     They are still 6-3-1 in their last 10.    Isles are 4-3-3.  Canes are 5-4-1

4 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I hate feeling this way, but I see a second half collapse.

I know where you are coming from and I'm not going to lie, I feel it a bit too.   Giroux can no longer put the team on his back and will them to win.  You can see he's struggling to even be a productive player at the moment.   So without him having a magical turnaround in the next couple weeks OR something emotional like Patrick coming back, this team is going to end up exactly where everyone predicted them to be.  A bubble playoff team, most likely fighting for a wildcard spot.  If the Islanders didn't have a great stretch there they might have been 3rd in the division.  

Even still, if they miss the playoffs..... they lost 2 of their top 6 (arguable - at minimum, top 9) for most/all the season.   They have AHLers that really shouldn't even be on the ice right now.    While it would suck to miss the playoffs yet again, if the team were healthy I'd suspect they'd have another  8-10 or so points putting them up above the Pens and near Tampa.

• Like 1

All good points. My POV is coming from what I see as a consistent lack of effort against so called weaker teams. Points decide your end result, but the eye test tells me they just arent good enough, even if they happen to make it. I wonder how many times this season they faced a back up goalie?

When your power play is a dysfunctional mess, with the skill players they have on it, it says alot about the mental mindset of this team

14 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

What a weak effort by Myers on that first goal getting out hustled/out worked for that puck...that is worth a benching there.

Terrible on that goal.....he should be embarrassed 6-5 215 or 220 and i have seen Ghost lean on someone harder than that.

Put his butt on the next flight outta town I say! 

(And we'll even throw in Kapanen for your troubles...)

😎👍

11 minutes ago, Digityman said:

if the team were healthy I'd suspect they'd have another  8-10 or so points putting them up above the Pens and near Tampa.

The Pens are icing "AHLers that really shouldn't be on the ice right now" and they're six points ahead of the Flyers.

If Crosby was healthy all season. If Guentzel wasn't lost for the season. If... If... If... How many more points do the Pens have if they didn't have the injuries they've had?

The Blue Jackets lost half their team to free agency and they're sitting in a playoff spot with more points and a tiebreaker over the Flyers.

In the end, what matters is what you identified - what happens in the next stretch of games. They have two against Florida and two against Columbus and one against the Islanders. They can't "get up" for the Caps and the Bolts and lay eggs in those other five games.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

57 minutes ago, CoachX said:

What was said? I dont want to watch

Just said they were going to make the playoffs.

I mean what else is he supposed to say.

Doesn't many anything at the end of the day it's the players that have to go out and play to win the game.

31 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Put his butt on the next flight outta town I say! 

(And we'll even throw in Kapanen for your troubles...)

😎👍

Yeah and that is just the type of move that will haunt us for years to come just trading Bob did.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

everyone is blaming fletch for not playing more prospects, how is that his fault when hextall throw money at jvr and jake? and now they want fletch gone, it's like what was fletch supposed to do?

who said they want Fletch gone? It isn't his decision who plays. That's up to AV.

As for Jake and JVR, I think they suck and should be moved for a set of used water bottles. If Fletch doesn't make appropriate moves after this season, he has no one to blame but himself

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah and that is just the type of move that will haunt us for years to come just trading Bob did.

I swear that Elliott had on his Jedi training helmet for the first 4 goals...…...

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, tucson83 said:

everyone is blaming fletch for not playing more prospects, how is that his fault when hextall throw money at jvr and jake? and now they want fletch gone, it's like what was fletch supposed to do?

Has there been a huge outcry about not playing younger players? I've seen the opposite - that we have AHLers who shouldn't be on NHL ice?

I have yet to see anyone advocating to fire ol' Fletch?

Even with Jake and JVR, the Flyers ended last season with $8.6M in cap space - and the majority of that was used on Hayes... Adding to that was the shuffling of others like Weise and Simmonds to open up space to extend Konecny and improve the D with Niskanen and Braun.

Flyers have $10M in space opening up for next season with 10 F, 4 D and a G signed.

• Like 1

That was pretty much a garbage game. Worst of the season. Also 2nd worst shutout loss in team history when they have over 40 shots and keep the opposition under 20. THe only one worse was in 1969.

Burn the tape and move on. The Devils, as bad and depleted as they are, are simply not going to lose every game. They just came off 3 straight games in which they led but ultimately lost in OT/SO, including a 3-goal 3rd period lead against the Habs. There was some anger and pride on their side. 

That first goal was sloppy and then the second goal was deflating. 

Line changes in practice today - G is back on Coots' wing. 

Just call up Frost already. Enough with either G at center or woefully underskilled AHL guys in the middle. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, brelic said:

That first goal was sloppy and then the second goal was deflating. 

If you score in the first period, the second goal early in the second doesn't have to be "deflating."

Then there's still the majority of two periods to play against what should be an inferior opponent, and you're at home having had two days' rest. Come out, take the game to the Devils. Establish that you are the better team.

Instead, lose the opening faceoff, give up a goal 13 seconds into the game. They simply can't afford "sloppy."

This has been an issue all season. For all of the times it is said they "c/should" have 8-10 more points and "c/should" be higher in the division, there are so many examples of them just pissing points away.

Win last night and you're in a playoff position. Lose last night and you're outside looking in.

They are what they are.

Edited by radoran

35 minutes ago, radoran said:

They are what they are.

That's pretty much it. This is who they are right now. 

I don't think losing last night was an urgent 'problem.' It's not good, it certainly doesn't help their chances for the playoffs. 

But they went in with a 5-2-1 record over their last 8.

If they go 5-3-1 over a few nine game stretches, there's a good chance they will be in. That's a .556 winning percentage, which is better than their current .519.

It's just the Metro that is all out of whack.

HEY!! We suck again!!!

welcome back to reality everyone!

Don't worry, We'll win the next 4!.....Then immediately drop the next 6.....

RINSE. REPEAT. TRUST THE SYSTEM

Jecklye and Hyde

still no answers in goal.....

On 2/6/2020 at 8:19 PM, OccamsRazor said:

It would be a good time for a Captain to step and SHOW us how to lead..............by example.

BAH.....

On 2/7/2020 at 9:26 AM, Digityman said:

That being said, just like every other loss, what matters is what happens in the next couple games.   They beat the Avs and lost to the Devils.  I had it the other way around but the final result was still 1 and 1.    Maybe they steal one on Saturday.  If so, they come out of the last 3 games 2-1 instead of 1-2 which is really what should have happened.     They are still 6-3-1 in their last 10.    Isles are 4-3-3.  Canes are 5-4-1

Yes I'm quoting myself.  Deal with it. 

So they lose to the Devils, beat the Caps and the Panthers.   They ended up 2-1.

Now 7-2-1 in their last 10.  

My point is, just because they **** the bed in the Devils game, there no need to go gloom and doom.   Maybe last year and the previous x years, yes but this year they are good at bouncing back. 

Now, those pesky slow starts.....

The gloom amd doom is in response to more than jist the Devils game. Its this teams Jekyll and hyde act that we've seen all season. The devils game was another example of why so many fans lack confidence in this team, and react so emotionally 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CoachX said:

The gloom amd doom is in response to more than jist the Devils game. Its this teams Jekyll and hyde act that we've seen all season. The devils game was another example of why so many fans lack confidence in this team, and react so emotionally 

I agree and think this take is largely an emotional one from the fan base this year, it has it's legitimate roots in past years.

However, this year I think it's more fan reaction than team performance.

This team is on pace for a 100 pt season it is 31- 18 and 7  13 games over .500 and hasn't lost two games in row for over a month and had a similar streak prior to the new year west coast road trip where they learned their leading scorer had cancer. 

TL:DR The team isn't really jeckyl and hyde.  It's mostly fan perception. The team mostly wins.

• Like 2