Do you deal AA? And what's enough?

SpikeDDS

OK, so as the deadline approaches, obviously if we can get a bag of donuts for Trevor Daley, we should deal him.

But what about a player like AA? He's not untouchable, especially with the season he has had. But with him scoring 30 last season, with the season he is having, we will probably be getting lowballed for him, even though if he gets traded, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he scores 30 again.

What do you think is the right ask for him? And the level below which we would be crazy to let him go?

• Like 1

Yes i think blash ruined hhim with his constant mind games. If you get a third or higher take it and move on.     My preference is a top 4 blueliner whicvh last year he would have fetched but. His disinterested play has probably. Killed that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

Yes i think blash ruined hhim with his constant mind games. If you get a third or higher take it and move on.     My preference is a top 4 blueliner whicvh last year he would have fetched but. His disinterested play has probably. Killed that.

Gotta love "The Process!" "The Process..." of moving on to achieve potential somewhere else, it seems.

<sigh>

I think a 3rd round pick is too low. Gotta be at least a second with his potential upside. If you're gonna accept a third, you're almost suggesting that the only reason he scored 30 goals was because of Blash's coaching. That doesn't jive. His speed and his offensive potential are worth at least a second. Otherwise, hope that next year he has a better year and we can trade him at the deadline for more.

Don't think a top-4 D-man will be possible this year, unless the other GM is in a state with legalized weed.

P.S. Did you mean a 3rd liner rather than a 3rd round pick?

Edited by SpikeDDS
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, SpikeDDS said:

Gotta love "The Process!" "The Process..." of moving on to achieve potential somewhere else, it seems.

<sigh>

I think a 3rd round pick is too low. Gotta be at least a second with his potential upside. If you're gonna accept a third, you're almost suggesting that the only reason he scored 30 goals was because of Blash's coaching. That doesn't jive. His speed and his offensive potential are worth at least a second. Otherwise, hope that next year he has a better year and we can trade him at the deadline for more.

Don't think a top-4 D-man will be possible this year, unless the other GM is in a state with legalized weed.

P.S. Did you mean a 3rd liner rather than a 3rd round pick?

Never sell low on a guy. He's worth at least a 2nd.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

a top prospect ( the #1 or #2 in the organization) and a high pick (1st or 2nd rounder).

I wouldn't be in a rush to trade a guy that skates like he does though. 

I agree with your last.

IF they plan to replace Blashill--and I don't know how you DON'T, even though they seem reticent right now, because of the lack of talent and it not being "fair" judging his coaching with what he has to work with--I'd seriously be wanting to see if a new coach could get him back to where he was. If that happens, maybe he'll either want to stay or else he will draw more return next year if he's doing better. With his skill set, I think he will get better, but he may always be a defensive liability.

It's not unheard of. Vanek did that for years and was a good player despite his liabilities. He finds the right team where the back end is strong enough to make up for his deficits, and he is golden.

But if Blash is staying, and AA is unhappy, what if he continues to tank again? Dunno.

Yeah i love AA but he has turned into a diusinterested floater becausde of the way he is used. A third rounder is i believe the moat we can get so either sell low or hope he responds to gallant nect year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Yeah i love AA but he has turned into a diusinterested floater becausde of the way he is used. A third rounder is i believe the moat we can get so either sell low or hope he responds to gallant nect year.

I'd be betting on Gallant. All day long.

1. To think that a 3rd rounder has much chance of having the equivalent of the skill set of AA is stretching the odds. We give him up now, we definitely sell him short.

2. Gallant has repeatedly demonstrated that he is effective at helping struggling or new clubs right from the get-go. I would bet that AA would respond with relief and become who he was again, or at least MORE like he was. Knowing, of course, from repeated history that Gallant's shelf life appears to be about 2.5 years before his teams have been ready to have him move on. I wonder if his relationship with Stevie Y might extend that. But even so, if he returns AA to anything close to what he was, he is worth saving.

3. Let's say AA responds, but either not getting back to where he was because he is "done" here or because the team around him isn't talented enough to enable his skills to be used as effectively as before, even if he only scores the equivalent of 20 goals per season going into the deadline, I don't think we get anything less for him next year than we would this year, plus, we have used his offensive talents to help our club for 2/3 of another season.

4. And if he responds well to Gallant, we totally win.

So IF Gallant is the plan--which would seem to make TOTAL sense to me at the end of this season--unless we get a first or better, I'm holding on to him. If you don't trust that Gallant could turn him around, why would you bring him in the first place? If you don't think the coach you bring in can get a 30-goal scorer who is only 1 season away from doing it back close to where he was, why hire him at all? "Anyone but Blash?" You can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh!t, and AA is NOT chicken sh!t. A lot of our team may be, but not AA. He's got talent. He just needs to be used right. So bring Gallant in and fix the problem(s). That certainly seems a better plan than selling AA short and giving Gallant less to work with, eh?

Edited by SpikeDDS
  • Like 1