Game 55: Flyers at Capitals: 2/8/20 @ 7:00 PM

Howie58

Greetings:

We are underdogs in this matchup:

https://www.sportsline.com/nhl/game-forecast/NHL_20200208_PHI@WAS/

The Caps are 16-11 at home; we are 11-16 on the road.  It looks like Elliott versus Samsonov between the pipes.  

Here is a snapshot on Elliott:

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/e/elliobr01.html

I posted on last game's thread that Eliott's "ping-ponging" performance (take a gander at last 5 games) may be sign of overall decline.  You could argue that with an improved Flyer defense, his GAA is up and save percentage is heading south.  

Yep waking up this am and sure enough there they are on the outside looking in with a game looming vs the the top team in the East.

I don't feel good about this one especially with Elliott's last performance I know the team in front of him didn't play well either but he didn't either....I'm afraid he looks tired and has player too many games lately.

I hope I'm wrong.

12 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yep waking up this am and sure enough there they are on the outside looking in with a game looming vs the the top team in the East.

I don't feel good about this one especially with Elliott's last performance I know the team in front of him didn't play well either but he didn't either....I'm afraid he looks tired and has player too many games lately.

I hope I'm wrong.

The loss to New Jersey was awful, there are games like that in the course of a season where nothing works. I don't remember many games like the NJ debacle this season. San Jose and LA Kings on the west coast swing immediately come to mind.

I hope you're wrong as well, it won't be the first time, 

There are still many games left, if the boys can keep winning 5 of 8 I like their chances for getting to the playoffs...there are so many teams bunched around them in the standings it will be an interesting ride to the end of the season. 

I can't seem to get too upset they are 3 points out of a playoff spot when they're 7 points out of a guaranteed spot. As long as there isn't a 4 game losing streak where they lose contact with that group altogether . 

PROJECTED STARTING LINEUPS (subject to change, will be updated)

FLYERS

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 93 Jakub Voracek
21 Scott Laughton - 13 Kevin Hayes - 11 Travis Konecny
25 James van Riemsdyk - 48 Morgan Frost - 18 Tyler Pitlick
12 Michael Raffl - 82 Connor Bunnaman (?) - 62 Nicolas Aube-Kubel

9 Ivan Provorov - 15 Matt Niskanen
6 Travis Sanheim -5 Phil Myers
8 Robert Hägg - 61 Justin Braun
53 Shayne Gostisbehere (possible 7th D/ power play)

37 Brian Elliott
[34 Alex Lyon]

Power Play 1: Giroux, Couturier, Konecny, Voracek, Provorov.
Power Play 2: JVR, Hayes, Frost/Laughton, Sanheim/Gostisbehere, Niskanen.

Scratches: one of 53 Shayne Gostsisbere (healthy) or 82 Connor Bunnaman (healthy), 49 Joel Farabee (illness), 79 Carter Hart (abdominal muscle strain).

LTIR: 55 Sam Morin (torn ACL, out for season), 23 Oskar Lindblom (Ewing sarcoma, out for season), 19 Nolan Patrick (migraines).

CAPITALS

8 Alex Ovechkin - 19 Nicklas Backström - 43 Tom Wilson
13 Jakub Vrana - 92 Evgeny Kuznetsov - 77 T.J. Oshie
62 Carl Hagelin - 20 Lars Eller - 14 Richard Panik
28 Brendan Leipsic - 26 Nic Dowd - 21 Garnet Hathaway

6 Michal Kempny - 74 John Carlson
9 Dmitry Orlov - 3 Nick Jensen
34 Jonas Siegenthaler - 33 Radko Gudas

70 Braden Holtby
30 Ilya Samsonov

Power Play 1: Backström, Kuznetsov. Oshie, Ovechkin, Carlson
Power Play 2: Vrana, Eller, Wilson, Ovechkin, Orlov

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I hope I'm wrong.

unfortunately, I think you are right

The Caps remember losing last game and will be looking to show that was a fluke. They wont take this game lightly. They will show why they are one of the top teams in the league

5-2 Caps. Flyer PP will struggle, and top line will be shut down

5 hours ago, CoachX said:

unfortunately, I think you are right

The Caps remember losing last game and will be looking to show that was a fluke. They wont take this game lightly. They will show why they are one of the top teams in the league

5-2 Caps. Flyer PP will struggle, and top line will be shut down

Flyers might have a chance.

They are a trap game for the Caps since they play the Isles Monday maybe they are overlooking the Flyers....can't blame them.

What a pass by NAK!!! And a better move around that pylon Gudas to thread the needle!!!

Coots ain't done!!!!

And low and behold Jekyll and Hyde mascot has arrived....JVR appears!!!!!

Wow i just got home and couldn't even make a post faster than they could score....who is this team???

I told ya it was a trap game for the Caps!!!!!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

I can't hate them as much or more than the Penguins. I just can't.

Yeah, I get that. And that, I think is the majority.  And i doubt the Caps are even second for most (Rangers probably for most. 

But I loathe the Caps and their fans. Viscerally. 

Can't really stand any Balt/Wash teams or fans (not Redskins or Wizards, I mean who cares?)