Game 55: Flyers at Capitals: 2/8/20 @ 7:00 PM

Howie58

7 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

What can I say? 

Flyers have shown they can take down the best as they're 8-2-2 against the NHL's top six teams.

However, they also own four regulation losses to the NHL's bottom six teams.

36 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Flyers have shown they can take down the best as they're 8-2-2 against the NHL's top six teams.

The USA Hockey team got blown out against the Russians in 1980 before the Olympics.

They would probably lose to them 90+ times out of 100. But they won the game they needed to win.

Winning a 7 game series is something else entirely.

Great win. Important points. Just two on the way to the playoffs.

Much more to do.

10 minutes ago, radoran said:

The USA Hockey team got blown out against the Russians in 1980 before the Olympics.

They would probably lose to them 90+ times out of 100. But they won the game they needed to win.

Winning a 7 game series is something else entirely.

Great win. Important points. Just two on the way to the playoffs.

Much more to do.

A good win nonetheless. A 7 game series with Wilson throwing his dick around could be a different story. But we kicked the **** out of these guys in a night everyone expected Ovie to get 700. I’ll take it. 

• Like 2

HEY!!! We're good again!!!!......;)

8 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sounds a lot like the last 4 years.....Rinse...Repeat...ah, nevermind.

But honestly. What the HELL is up with this team....they have the PERFECT goalie for this too. Plays like utter CRAP one night then pitches a near shutout against one of the best offensive teams in the league. MAddening. I think it was Howie who made a nice observation about one of his "old time" favorite goalies playing like this toward the end of his career....might be exactly what we're seeing.

Anyway, I find it hard to get "excited" about a team with ZERO (and I mean 0.0) consistency in their game. What does this win prove? anything more than the last loss did?...both are complete anomalies.....much like this team!

(Sorry, I'm in a bit of a "pessimistic" place the last week or so...not just Hockey. Mankind frustrates me....not the  wrestler....He's hysterical!  I'll get better....:)

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Anyway, I find it hard to get "excited" about a team with ZERO (and I mean 0.0) consistency in their game. What does this win prove? anything more than the last loss did?...both are complete anomalies.....much like this team!

(Sorry, I'm in a bit of a "pessimistic" place the last week or so...not just Hockey. Mankind frustrates me....not the  wrestler....He's hysterical!  I'll get better....:)

Maybe this will help a little.

The team is 8-3 and 1 over the last 11.

That can be considered consistent and good.

Sometimes a bad game is just that and not an indicator of any larger problem. 

I thought AV and the team leaders handled the NJ debacle perfectly and they played maybe the best game of the year right after a night when nothing went right for them.

The last time the Flyers lost two in a row was January 4 and 7 with the 7th being a last game of a nightmare road trip where they managed a loser point.  (Carolina)

I will say the two games against Florida are of concern. Barkov is the one player in the league Couturier struggles with. Over the last few years the Panthers have had the Flyers number. Ekblad always plays well and there seem to be a number of players who can really skate from 1 to 12 among the forwards. I will be happy with a split vs Fla.

They also get the Islanders in there, I don't know how that team is good, I think they have one good line- but they do have a great coach who is able to get teams to buy in to his system and they always seem to be better than the sum of their parts. The Islanders can be had coming down the stretch I would look for them and the CBJ to fall off a little. Our guys get a chance to play everyone in the division, we'll see what we've got.  I think this group is better than Columbus and NYI, now they get the opportunity to prove me right.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I will say the two games against Florida are of concern.

The one team that concerns me is Columbus. But you have to love the way this team has lost all these players to free agency especially their goalie and just continue to win.

And what did they do they went out and brought Elvis in and since he has taken over on new year's eve he has gone 12-2-0 since.

He has 5 shutouts (which leads the NHL now) in his last 8 games.......2 back to back....HTF does this team get so lucky???

And back to all the guys they lost in free agency all then the guys they have on IR no Dubinsky, Wenneberg, Murray, Anderson and a few other guys and what do they keep doing??? They keep winning.

My hats off to @yave1964 other favorite team the Blue Jackets i think they are for real and i would love for the Flyers to be able to jump those guys for the 3rd seed but i don't think they are going to let go of it.

And best part they are kind of doing it without any super stars don't get me wrong they are doing it with some very good players maybe you have Werenski and Jones as their stud young blueline but that might be about it.

They have a show down with them in another weeks a home and home games back to back this i hope will tell us where the Flyes are but this could be their chance to steal the 3rd seed....i hope by then they have a chance.

And i also fear the Panthers too but the Jackets to me are the real scare. Time to find the weak spots in their armor.

One thing that would help a lot for the Flyers is some consistency with the lines and the outcome of the games. And please get this damn power play going!

It was great to see them dominate the Caps last night...they may be in their heads now....

Edited by OccamsRazor
add missing comment
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

The one team that concerns me is Columbus. But you have to love the way this team has lost all these players to free agency especially their goalie.

Yeah, I don't think there's any reason to believe they fall off.  If the Flyers are plucking off a playoff spot, it won't be from Columbus.  They're accelerating, not falling off.   

If we pick off a playoff spot, it will be from the Isles or Carolina. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

If we pick off a playoff spot, it will be from the Isles or Carolina.

If they were to find some consistency and start a nice winning streak they could have a chance they have the two games vs the Jackets coming up that could help them pass them with them only being 2 points behind them and a game in hand right now.

So if they can say (i know unlikely but stay with me.) slay the dragon beat Panthers, Isles, Panthers and then Lightning and then go into the first Jackets game at home beat them and then go to Columbus and slay them (those would basically be a 8 point swing in those two games alone) then they have a chance of catching and passing them.

But that as i said would require 7 game win streak including the recent Caps win...then they can do it.

Sure as i said very unlikely...and i will put the bottle down now it's too early to be this drunk...but there is a chance.

image.jpeg.8f522dd7fe0956721524418956f5ca8a.jpeg

even if the flyers dont make the playoffs, im very confident in this team going forward especially with alot of young players on this team, av has them playing at a high level even if we lose some vets and heck no ghost, it tells you alot about this coaching.

And of course i just seen Carolina beat Vegas in a shootout basically meaning that they can't rely on help from any other teams helping them which i figure and doomed them last year heading down the stretch and will have to take matters in their own hands.

They have one more game vs the Canes in March which of course is the second game of a back to back the first vs the Caps which doesn't help.

But to put the Canes away it may come down to that too.

Regardless the Flyers are not getting help from anyone it seems.

Jackets have a not so hard schedule too...of the games remaining the only hard ones: Flyers twice, Preds twice,  Flames, Oilers, Pens, Bruins, Caps, Leafs, Tampa and Isles. (12 hard games)

Isles remaining hard games: Caps, Flyers twice, Preds, Yotes, Avs, Blues, Bruins, Canes twice, Flames twice, Oilers, Pens, Leafs, and Jackets. (16 hard games)

Canes remaining hard games: Oilers, Preds, Leafs twice, Avs, Flyers, Isles twice, Pens four times, Blues and Bruins to end the season.

(14 hard games).

So when it is all said and done once these teams battle it all out maybe we have a clearer picture and the war of attrition takes a toll to give the Flyers some puck luck.

Winning of course will make it all better i think keep doing it!!!!!! I know so easy to do right!!! 

• Like 1

Hey it will help a lot to keep the Captain playing well and please keep him on the wing.

He finally has a 3 point night when you move him back to wing...his first game with more than 2 points since November 21st when he had 4 vs the Canes....please experiment is over leave him on the wing they need to production and points!!!!!!