This is just getting embarrassing...

WordsOfWisdom

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Well maybe in the Atlantic it's tough to get to the cup which has already been won by the Bruins/Lightning but in the Metro we have to go through the two teams that have actually won the last 3 cups. 

☺️  The Boston Bruins made the final last season, and came within a game of winning the Cup, not Washington or Pittsburgh.  The Lightning won the President's trophy with one of the best records in NHL history. They're both in the Atlantic. 

Pittsburgh won its Stanley Cups over Nashville and San Jose. Look where those teams are today. (Time marches on.)

Bottom line: The two best teams in the East are Boston and Tampa. The two best teams in the NHL are Boston and (maybe) Tampa or Colorado. That's factoring in not just W-L record, but also goal differential. Now, do the Red Wings help pad those records a bit? Probably. However, given recent history (Cut final appearance, President's trophy) I give the nod to Boston and Tampa as the best two teams in the league right now until someone proves otherwise. 

And yes, the St. Louis Blues are right there too, and yes they won the Cup last season...... but that's still 130 points that Tampa had last season, far above and beyond anyone else and the 2nd best team in the Atlantic that season almost took the Blues out in 7.

3 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

☺️  The Boston Bruins made the final last season, and came within a game of winning the Cup, not Washington or Pittsburgh.  The Lightning won the President's trophy with one of the best records in NHL history. They're both in the Atlantic. 

Pittsburgh won its Stanley Cups over Nashville and San Jose. Look where those teams are today. (Time marches on.)

Bottom line: The two best teams in the East are Boston and Tampa. The two best teams in the NHL are Boston and (maybe) Tampa or Colorado. That's factoring in not just W-L record, but also goal differential. Now, do the Red Wings help pad those records a bit? Probably. However, given recent history (Cut final appearance, President's trophy) I give the nod to Boston and Tampa as the best two teams in the league right now until someone proves otherwise. 

And yes, the St. Louis Blues are right there too, and yes they won the Cup last season...... but that's still 130 points that Tampa had last season, far above and beyond anyone else and the 2nd best team in the Atlantic that season almost took the Blues out in 7.

Lol...thanks. I meant from our respective divisions. 

Boston and Tampa look pretty good. But Tampa couldn't handle a wild card team last year, so we'll see. The Flyers are only one win behind Tampa. Their goals for/against are very similar, but Flyers play in a much more tougher division..

You've got 5 teams in your division that would be a looooong way down in ours...like 8,9,10,11,12th. Those 5 are bottom third of the league bad.  Heck Detroits already eliminated from the playoffs and theres 15 games left.  Kind of makes it easier to be sitting on top.

6 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Lol...thanks. I meant from our respective divisions. 

Boston and Tampa look pretty good. But Tampa couldn't handle a wild card team last year, so we'll see. The Flyers are only one win behind Tampa. Their goals for/against are very similar, but Flyers play in a much more tougher division..

You've got 5 teams in your division that would be a looooong way down in ours...like 8,9,10,11,12th. Those 5 are bottom third of the league bad.  Heck Detroits already eliminated from the playoffs and theres 15 games left.  Kind of makes it easier to be sitting on top.

Detroit was actually officially eliminated a full month ago lol!  They may have set the record for the earliest mathematical elimination in NHL history.  :)   I'm actually fascinated to see where they finish. Love watching teams crater lol.  

Yes, the Metro division is a stronger division overall. We'll see what happens come playoff time. The Flyers have been one of the hottest teams in the league. Not sure how they're doing it but I think they're playing above where they really are and are due for a major cooling off period. But who knows, maybe they've taken over as the class of the Metro division now. Sure wish Toronto could do the same in the Atlantic division but it seems that Boston/Tampa will take turns holding this division for as long as they want it. 

• Like 1

Detroit was actually officially eliminated a full month ago lol!  They may have set the record for the earliest mathematical elimination in NHL history.  :)   I'm actually fascinated to see where they finish. Love watching teams crater lol.  

Yes, the Metro division is a stronger division overall. We'll see what happens come playoff time. The Flyers have been one of the hottest teams in the league. Not sure how they're doing it but I think they're playing above where they really are and are due for a major cooling off period. But who knows, maybe they've taken over as the class of the Metro division now. Sure wish Toronto could do the same in the Atlantic division but it seems that Boston/Tampa will take turns holding this division for as long as they want it. 

Hextall packed the cupboards full of prospects. We're just starting to see them hit their stride. I'm not saying they'll continue being this hot, but as a team there's plenty to look forward to looking ahead.

• Like 1

The Flyers have been one of the hottest teams in the league. Not sure how they're doing it but I think they're playing above where they really are and are due for a major cooling off period

the Flyers have been the benefactor of those "puck luck" style goals. 

Thing is, opposing teams haven't been getting great chances against, these same teams don't have the puck a whole lot during the course of a game. The Flyers play better as the game goes on.

Are the Capitals good ? I don't know, the Flyers have mauled them twice recently, the Flyers have smoked Winnipeg and demoralized the "surging" Rangers in a home & home  Without the lucky goals they are still scoring 4 a game and would still be winning these contests. 

I don't know "how good" the Flyers are, but they are good.

They are doing it with a mobile defense and great pressure on puck carriers in all 3 zones. They haven't had the game where they get outplayed but still win, yet. They have been outplaying which ever team is on the schedule that night. 

• Good Post 1

Most teams that win Cups win one or 2 and that can come anywhere during the life of a team based on a core player like Giroux so maybe it's now for Philly. St.L. came out of nowhere last year, last in the NHL at Xmas, and went on to win it all.

The Flyers are maybe playing like TO but with maturity, an age/experience advantage so they're bringing their game on a more consistent basis. However this year I see that the majority of the Flyer core has essentially been healthy and while the popular belief is good teams can overcome injuries, it really isn't true when involving multiple core players.

Philly has a good chance this year, as good as anyone and so to might TO, health is key plus other factors. A month to playoffs and philly has suffered a devastating injury, JVR is out, uh oh.  

26 minutes ago, hobie said:

Most teams that win Cups win one or 2 and that can come anywhere during the life of a team based on a core player like Giroux so maybe it's now for Philly. St.L. came out of nowhere last year, last in the NHL at Xmas, and went on to win it all.

St Louis has been a cup contender for years who finally got the goaltending to go with the rest of the team. 

The Flyers are maybe playing like TO but with maturity, an age/experience advantage so they're bringing their game on a more consistent basis. However this year I see that the majority of the Flyer core has essentially been healthy and while the popular belief is good teams can overcome injuries, it really isn't true when involving multiple core players.

As already posted and obviously ignored by you...the Flyers and Leafs are very close in age. 

Philly has a good chance this year, as good as anyone and so to might TO, health is key plus other factors. A month to playoffs and philly has suffered a devastating injury, JVR is out, uh oh.  

I loled.

Is any team a Cup contender if they don't have a decent goalie?

As for what you say I ignored , I've already stated how I think TO is younger, you seem to disagree, I don't feel like pissing into the wind. 

2 hours ago, hobie said:

They've been healthy. That goes a long way towards having success. JVR is a complimentary piece, not a core player on the Flyers. 

Toronto's very top guys (Matthews, Marner, Rielly, Muzzin, etc...) all seem to miss a month or more at a time. Toronto rarely suffers an injury to a non-core player. So for Toronto to succeed, they need Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Rielly, Muzzin, Barrie, and Andersen to all be healthy at the same time and playing regularly.  :) 

10 minutes ago, hobie said:

I've already stated how I think TO is younger

This seems like easy information to look up, so I did. Here you go:  :) 

age.thumb.png.adde28474d39208b1d59c9476a95c889.png

EDIT: The site claims to be "updated daily" but clearly that isn't the case when you look closer. So the information is probably out there but the NHL doesn't want us to have it, and I'm not paying for it, so I'll file this topic under "who cares?"  lol.  ;) 

Edited by WordsOfWisdom
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

St Louis has been a cup contender for years since the beginning of time who finally got the goaltending to go with the rest of the team. 

Updated.  ;) 

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

the Flyers and Leafs are very close in age. 

I guess we'll never know since the information isn't readily available.  When I search for it I just get old data or articles that expect a paid subscription. So it's like Shrodinger's Cat (whatever it is). Until proven otherwise (with data that apparently doesn't exist), the Leafs are both older, younger, and the same age as the Flyers, so you can take any position and be correct.  ;)  

So I'll agree that they are very close in age. 

16 minutes ago, hobie said:

Is any team a Cup contender if they don't have a decent goalie?

Well Hart, at 21 years old, has better numbers than Freddy.;

16 minutes ago, hobie said:

As for what you say I ignored , I've already stated how I think TO is younger, you seem to disagree, I don't feel like pissing into the wind. 

Ok, but you keep talking like Philly is on a must win now run because of age, when they are very similar to Leafs in that dept.

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Hextall packed the cupboards full of prospects. We're just starting to see them hit their stride. I'm not saying they'll continue being this hot, but as a team there's plenty to look forward to looking ahead.

The Flyers need to teach other teams how to do a rebuild. Other teams take 10 years. The Flyers seem to do it in 1 or 2 years. 

4 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

The Flyers need to teach other teams how to do a rebuild. Other teams take 10 years. The Flyers seem to do it in 1 or 2 years. 

Well it's been longer than 1 or 2 years. Though I do like Hextalls blueprint. His coaching choice on the other hand...

Yes, Hextall's choice of coach is the gift that keeps on giving.

Now that he’s back in the game, Hakstol’s new position will likely be focused on improving a Leafs’ defence that gave up the 12th most goals-against per game in the NHL last season (3.04), while McFarland works with Toronto’s forwards and on its power play. 

https://www.tsn.ca/maple-leafs-add-hakstol-as-new-assistant-coach-1.1330467

To is much improved this year, no longer 12th most goal-against now TO's GA is 28th worse in the NHL.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, hobie said:

To is much improved this year, no longer 12th most goal-against now TO's GA is 28th worse in the NHL.

We ALL feel your pain. Trust me.

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

St Louis has been a cup contender for years who finally got the goaltending to go with the rest of the team. 

Yeah. They didn't come out of no where. People keep saying that, but they only indicate they really aren't paying attention. 

They were built to win and stumbled out of the gate because of horrible goaltending and poor coaching. They got the goaltending and changed coaches at almost the same time and from there played exactly as built. 

1 hour ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I guess we'll never know since the information isn't readily available.  When I search for it I just get old data

I had the same issue. 

I imagine it's this way with the Leafs, too, but with the Flyers it really depends what day we're talking about.  At the deadline we got Grant and Thompson--two comparatively older players--and sent a 22 year old and a 20 year old (who's played the majority of the year) down.  Probably enough to alter the average. 

And for awhile we had Frost and other kids up. 

But the Flyers significantly aged at the deadline so if this subject even matters (not really) it would be good if there was updated data. 

I suppose I could take current rosters and put the ages in a spreadsheet and find the average, but I actually don't care enough. It's not actually all that relevant. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I had the same issue. 

I imagine it's this way with the Leafs, too, but with the Flyers it really depends what day we're talking about.  At the deadline we got Grant and Thompson--two comparatively older players--and sent a 22 year old and a 20 year old (who's played the majority of the year) down.  Probably enough to alter the average. 

But the Flyers significantly aged at the deadline so if this subject even matters (not really) it would be good if there was updated data. 

I suppose I could take current rosters and put the ages in a spreadsheet and find the average, but I actually don't care enough. It's not actually all that relevant. 

Sure adding those two makes Philly older...but the fact that Frost and Farabee are NHL calibre prospects adds more youth...not to mention when Patrick comes back....not to mention if Lindblom does...etc.

12 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Sure adding those two makes Philly older...but the fact that Frost and Farabee are NHL calibre prospects adds more youth...not to mention when Patrick comes back....not to mention if Lindblom does...etc.

Oh i don't disagree.  Just saying that in the Flyers case (and I imagine they're not alone in this) *when* the age average was done could make a good deal of difference. 

Good thing it doesn't really matter much in this context. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I had the same issue. 

Not only that, but if you look at the variation among teams, it's not significant either. The average age was around 27 I think, and teams only varied by about 2 years from that average. Even the oldest team in the league is not old these days by any stretch. It's a total non-factor in my books.  :) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Not only that, but if you look at the variation among teams, it's not significant either. The average age was around 27 I think, and teams only varied by about 2 years from that average. Even the oldest team in the league is not old these days by any stretch. It's a total non-factor in my books.  :) 

Obviously if all your best players were well over 30 and all your young guys sucked it would matter. I don't think that applies to anyone.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, hobie said:

He is the NHL version of Chip Kelly he needs to be shipped back to the NCAA.

• Like 1

To make matters worse...1-0 to the Kings??? Wow.

#choke