You are a guest user Click to join the site

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

WordsOfWisdom

This is just getting embarrassing...

14 hours ago, brelic said:

They already do

How's that possible if the Leafs aren't there? 

Edited by ruxpin
  • Haha 1
  • Uggh... 1

5 hours ago, brelic said:

It would be interesting to see a 25 year sample.

Yes.  :) 

5 hours ago, brelic said:

Disagree for many reasons, but primarily, because you are bringing a normative viewpoint to an empirical situation. 

Well somebody has to.....  ;)   

The only reason it works out the way that it does is due to the overwhelming amount of parity in the NHL (which I find boring by the way). In a league with 100% parity you have no winners because you have no losers. Everyone is 41-41-0. That means there is no best or worst team. The league continues to strive for this "equality of outcome" scenario where (ideally) they want every team to finish with the same number of points. Then it truly would be a coin toss in terms of who won.

However, that's not how things work in a normal competitive environment (in any sport). No matter how much a "guiding hand" (Bettman) tries to interfere, you will always have different "tiers"/levels of teams. In a marathon, you can give all the runners the same shoes, the same diet, and select people who are all the same size and weight, but someone is still going to finish way ahead of the last place runner. The only reason it doesn't happen more in the NHL is because of puck bounces (luck playing a role), the salary cap, injuries, etc.

3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

How's that possible if they Leafs aren't there? 

leafs-fan.jpg.672f15451c12a93f9f76d98182abd59d.jpg

Ya, it's not looking great for TO right now but really does it matter. In a perfect world TO should be well established as a top contender and as a Cup favourite but the world isn't unfolding as we Leaf fans want/need.

You think we have it bad, how about if TO finished 62-16-4 and then lost in the first round of the playoffs to a team that didn't make it to the finals, a team that barely made the playoffs.

Their core was Kucherov 25, Hedman 28, McDonagh 29, Point 22, Stamkos 28 so really there shouldn't have been any excuses.During the playoffs only Kucherov missed a game from the core, TB has a good/great d, toughness, incredible scoring capability, a top quality core piece at every position and they easily defied parity but they only lasted 4 games in the playoffs.

So what can be learned from TB, I think it's if your team is in the right place(the zone)when entering the playoffs anything is possible.

TO is in the east and there are many good regular season teams in the east, TO is currently tied for 4th overall in the west, but how many of those good regular season eastern teams are actually good, actual Cup contenders and are they actually better than a healthy TO. Come playoff time TO might actually be healthy and in the playoffs.

My only concern is TO making the playoffs right now and health will be a major determining factor. TO lost in the 1st round of the last 3 playoff years, terrible yes, but TO lost to a Cup winner, a Cup favourite and a finalist and thru all three years TO lost to far more mature/experienced teams than what TO was.

I think we've seen tremendous progress from Matthews and Nylander this year, I don't know how much better Marner can get but I know the size of his heart expands when needed and this is making me feel far more comfortable about TO's future both immediate and in the distance.