This is just getting embarrassing...

WordsOfWisdom

2 hours ago, hobie said:

I think Rux was trolling us, don't you.

Ya think that might be because the Flyers are rapidly approaching rebuild, they're having what might be their last kick at the can, this year.

Couturier-27

Vorachek-30

JVR-30

Giroux-32

Hayes-27

Niskanen-33

That is the ages of the Flyers top 6 of 7 in scoring, JVR and Hayes have 3 and 6 years left on their $7 mil. per contracts. 

If Rux doesn't think TO is young, what must he think of Philly's age?

Phillys average age is 27.8. The Leafs is 27.9. 

The Leafs have proven over and over...playoffs aren't won solely on scoring. Heck, Ovechkin proved being a great scorer wins you squat until you learn how to play the rest of the rink.

I wasn't trolling. I was responding to homerish excuse making. "We're young."  Not appreciably vs. Other teams doing as well or better.  "we're hurt." okay. So are other teams doing as well or better.  

The fact of the matter is the Leafs are poorly constructed. Period.  I don't think it would take much to fix. They seemed to move toward the right direction at the deadline but probably need more of that.

The OP was pretty much dead on and was being attacked for it and i interjected. Not trolling. Keeping it real. 

There was no comparison made to the Flyers, though they too suffered a lot of injuries early to key players. And I don't remember now if they've used 12 or 14 rookies. But hey, whatever. 

Next we'll hear about how the sun is in the Leafs' eyes. It's all good. 

4 hours ago, hobie said:

I think Rux was trolling us, don't you.

Ya think that might be because the Flyers are rapidly approaching rebuild, they're having what might be their last kick at the can, this year.

Couturier-27

Vorachek-30

JVR-30

Giroux-32

Hayes-27

Niskanen-33

That is the ages of the Flyers top 6 of 7 in scoring, JVR and Hayes have 3 and 6 years left on their $7 mil. per contracts. 

If Rux doesn't think TO is young, what must he think of Philly's age?

Thinking requires information. Per CapFriendly:

PHI forwards 27.6, TO 25.5

PHI D-men 26.6, TO 25.4

Maple Leafs clearly have a much younger roster.

12 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

PHI D-men 26.6, TO 25.4

Thinking also requires reading.  At what time did I compare the Flyers to the Leafs?  Other than this morning in response to the post you just quoted, the answer to that question is "I didn't."  

So you guys can circle jerk with your lame strawman arguments and hurl insults, but you're only making yourselves look dumber.

And so you're younger than the Flyers?  What exactly is your point?    That everything is perfect because you're tied for 7th in the conference with a hospital ward team (Columbus) but, hey, your core isn't weaned yet?    Congrats.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, hobie said:

Couturier-27

Vorachek-30

JVR-30

Giroux-32

Hayes-27

Niskanen-33

On what planet is 27, 30, 32, 27, and 33 old?  Jaromir Jagr just got through playing until he was 45.  😮 

I would say the Flyers core group is in their prime. They have at least five more good years out of those guys. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I'm amazed by how many Leaf fans don't watch other hockey, only the Leafs. I know lots of them.

I mean for the last 50 years they don't even know what good hockey is for the most part. That's not a shot, it's the truth. 

Pretty well everyone else I know who cheers for other teams watches all kinds of hockey. 

Let's not stereotype shall we? Toronto fans watch everything. They're well aware of what good/bad hockey is. There's enough hockey passion in Toronto alone to fill 10-15 cities down in the sunbelt, and still have room left over. They don't call it the center of the hockey universe for nothing. 

It would be more appropriate to say that fans outside Toronto aren't watching anyone except their own team, and probably watch only when their respective team is winning. (More fair-weather fans exist outside TO.) Fans in Toronto will typically watch any team, as the ratings attest to, and are aware of what is going on around the league. All of the top hockey minds in the media are in Toronto. 

15 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

On what planet is 27, 30, 32, 27, and 33 old?  Jaromir Jagr just got through playing until he was 45.  😮 

I would say the Flyers core group is in their prime. They have at least five more good years out of those guys. 

Thanks.

I swear to God I wasn't trying to insult the Leafs.   But I thought your OP was fairly accurate and the responses just excuse-making.

I recognize excuse-making because as a Flyers fan I've honed the skill over the last decade.

• Like 2

The NHL playoffs are the greatest sporting event going. Beating 4 teams in best of 7s is a grueling marathon. Heck the 1st round is usually a treat to watch. I know one thing...it's far more exciting than any MLB top 4 borefest.

The problem with the NHL playoffs is that the quality of play diminishes with each passing round. Round 1 is the best, because the teams are healthy and fresh. Then, after round 1, it gets progressively worse as fatigue and injuries take over.  :(  Also, the playoffs in the NHL are so long that most fans have long since tuned out by the time they're half over. I mean for goodness sake, they're stretching well into June. The MLB all-star game is approaching and the NHL is just wrapping up it's Stanley Cup final.  

I think you may find that exciting because after 162 games of watching 9 guys standing around grabbing their crotches and spitting chew and doing not much else, you're excited that thank God, at long last this never ending paint has almost dried.

You're not a baseball fan huh?  ;) 

The things that irritate me about baseball are the number of pitching changes (and the resulting commercial breaks) and the visits to the pitcher's mound. All of that crap breaks the flow of the game. 

In terms of playoff formats, MLB does it right. 

I'd be ok in hockey if they went back to top 8 seeds in each conference. The current format could possibly have the top 4 teams eliminate all but 1 in the first 2 rounds.

Check out my new thread on this topic!  :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Let's not stereotype shall we? Toronto fans watch everything. They're well aware of what good/bad hockey is. There's enough hockey passion in Toronto alone to fill 10-15 cities down in the sunbelt, and still have room left over. They don't call it the center of the hockey universe for nothing. 

It would be more appropriate to say that fans outside Toronto aren't watching anyone except their own team, and probably watch only when their respective team is winning. (More fair-weather fans exist outside TO.) Fans in Toronto will typically watch any team, as the ratings attest to, and are aware of what is going on around the league. All of the top hockey minds in the media are in Toronto. 

Count me in the camp of fans that only watch their team. 

I bleed orange and black. That's it. Don't watch any other teams, any other games, or any other sports. 

Who are these Leafs people are talkin' 'bout anyway? They can't even spell the plural right!!!

3 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Also, the playoffs in the NHL are so long that most fans have long since tuned out by the time they're half over. I mean for goodness sake, they're stretching well into June

100% agree. 

Hell, when the FLYERS were in the SCF against the Hawks, the last thing I wanted to do with my late May evening was watch hockey. Sun is out, BBQ, camping, beach season and I'm supposed to care about HOCKEY??

Simple solution. Start the season in September, say the 15th. Back to school, vacation is over, back to hockey. That backs things up almost an entire month, so playoffs would be done by end of April. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, brelic said:

Count me in the camp of fans that only watch their team. 

I bleed orange and black. That's it. Don't watch any other teams, any other games, or any other sports. 

I think the issue most fans find is that they can't watch games involving other teams due to blackout issues. The team that plays in your home market owns that market. The NHL allows them to essentially make the rest of the games disappear whenever their team is playing.  :( 

I realize fans can buy additional sports channels and sports packs, but typically the blackout rules still apply.

Unless you pirate your NHL channels, chances are you can't arbitrarily watch a game of Colorado vs St. Louis IF you live in Toronto AND the Leafs happen to be playing that same night. 

4 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I think the issue most fans find is that they can't watch games involving other teams due to blackout issues. The team that plays in your home market owns that market. The NHL allows them to essentially make the rest of the games disappear whenever their team is playing.  :( 

I realize fans can buy additional sports channels and sports packs, but typically the blackout rules still apply.

Unless you pirate your NHL channels, chances are you can't arbitrarily watch a game of Colorado vs St. Louis IF you live in Toronto AND the Leafs happen to be playing that same night. 

Do you mean on regular TV (Bell/Rogers) or through Game Center?

I have Game Center (watch on TV through Roku, or iPad when Im' away) and never have any problems. The only games that are blacked out for me are when the Sens play the Flyers - apparently, they consider me to be living in Sens market (I'm in NB).

Are you saying if the Leafs play, every other game that night is blacked out???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brelic said:

100% agree. 

Hell, when the FLYERS were in the SCF against the Hawks, the last thing I wanted to do with my late May evening was watch hockey. Sun is out, BBQ, camping, beach season and I'm supposed to care about HOCKEY??

Simple solution. Start the season in September, say the 15th. Back to school, vacation is over, back to hockey. That backs things up almost an entire month, so playoffs would be done by end of April. 

Agreed. Or just shorten the playoffs.  :) 

People forget that the Stanley Cup playoffs used to be two rounds, and were finished in either late April or early May. The notion/concept of 4 rounds at 7 games per series is a new concept that grew as the size of the league and the length of the schedule grew, and I wonder what fans 50 years from today will think when the NHL starts in August, has a 100-game regular season, has playoffs that span 5 rounds at 9 games per series, winds up in late July, and fans dig their heels in and insist that it couldn't be any other way lol.  ;) 

The NHL's target is a 12-month presence. Their business objective is to make hockey an all year round thing. 

In fact, I wonder what fans 50 years from now will think when the NHL invents a "continuous season".... meaning that teams never stop playing, but the playoffs will be determined based on who is hot at the moment (recent record will determine playoff teams) but as the playoffs end, the regular season continues and the next playoffs begin six months after that. In other words, it's a 365 day/yr season with playoffs occurring almost immediately after the previous one finishes. So if you team missed the last playoffs, they'll eligible for the next one just four months later (assuming they begin playing better). Imagine if the W-L records are continually being reset. More cycles. More mini "seasons". More mini "playoffs". That's what the NHL (and all other sports leagues) are going to do next. Bank on it.  That's my prediction.  :) 

8 minutes ago, brelic said:

Do you mean on regular TV (Bell/Rogers) or through Game Center?

I have Game Center (watch on TV through Roku, or iPad when Im' away) and never have any problems. The only games that are blacked out for me are when the Sens play the Flyers - apparently, they consider me to be living in Sens market (I'm in NB).

Are you saying if the Leafs play, every other game that night is blacked out???

I believe so yes. They want to force people in Toronto to watch the Leafs. 

Edited by WordsOfWisdom

Okay so this was frustrating. A very winnable game in San Jose against the Sharks last night and Toronto gets some soft goaltending from Campbell and some sloppy giveaways/turnovers to spoil their 3-game winning streak. I look around the league and see teams like Colorado, St. Louis, Boston, Tampa, Philly, Washington, etc... all doing 7, 8, 9, 10 game winning streaks. When one streak ends, they just start the next one. The Leafs need to secure that final playoff spot before the Panthers heat up again, and these are the opponents to do it against. 

On 3/3/2020 at 7:17 AM, Hockey-78 said:

PHI D-men 26.6, TO 25.4

Through something called Roster Resource, which says it's updated daily, 

https://www.rosterresource.com/nhl-roster-breakdowns/

Flyer forwards are average 27.6  Leafs are 27.9

Flyers D average 26.3   Leafs 28.9

The Athletic has Leafs slightly younger at an average of 26.1 to Phillys 26.5

Both teams are fairly young. 

I don't think it's significant how old a whole roster is on average, it's how old a team's core is.

For some reason I'm not in a panic that Marincin is aging out, don't know why that doesn't concern me?

1 hour ago, hobie said:

I don't think it's significant how old a whole roster is on average, it's how old a team's core is.

For some reason I'm not in a panic that Marincin is aging out, don't know why that doesn't concern me?

I agree.

Sure I'm concerned that Giroux is 32. But I'm not worried about Couturier being 27. Niskanen is only here for a couple seasons until the plethora of talented defencemen coming up mature. JVR is hopefully taken in the expansion draft...that's how much of a conerstone he is (YOU already know how valuable he is...his last team let him walk for nothing). Our top scorer is 22. Our top goal scorer was 23 but he's a ? due to cancer. We have a 2nd overall pick who's due to come back soon from friggin migraines who hasn't played this season. Our #1 goalie is 21. We still have a top 10 prospect pool that includes forwards defencemen AND goalies. 

The Flyers are fine. 

PS, I'd love to play the Leafs in the playoffs.

• Good Post 3

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

I agree.

Sure I'm concerned that Giroux is 32. But I'm not worried about Couturier being 27. Niskanen is only here for a couple seasons until the plethora of talented defencemen coming up mature. JVR is hopefully taken in the expansion draft...that's how much of a conerstone he is (YOU already know how valuable he is...his last team let him walk for nothing). Our top scorer is 22. Our top goal scorer was 23 but he's a ? due to cancer. We have a 2nd overall pick who's due to come back soon from friggin migraines who hasn't played this season. Our #1 goalie is 21. We still have a top 10 prospect pool that includes forwards defencemen AND goalies. 

The Flyers are fine. 

Your team is going to have to be good enough to first make the playoffs and then go deep enough to face TO.

On one hand, I think most teams see Toronto as an ideal playoff opponent because the defence can be so easily exploited.  On the other hand, if Toronto gets 100% healthy by April, and gets all its top players back, I think teams would be concerned to bump into the Leafs knowing that a healthy Leafs team is a better team than their record indicates. Toronto would be one of the "dark horse" teams in the playoffs.  :) 

Given how things are shaping up, the Leafs are poised to face a weakened/damaged Tampa Bay Lightning team in round one minus Stamkos. That sort of opens the door for a healthy Leafs team to pull off an upset, and it's the only way Toronto could ever get past Tampa. If both teams are hurt, Tampa wins easily. If Stamkos returns, Tampa wins easily. So we'll see.

Right now, I just want to see this team win a round. Boston and Tampa are both vastly superior to the Leafs. I don't think the Leafs can beat either of them, so we'll never see the Leafs face any team from the Metro division. Plus both wildcards are going to the Metro division as well. So IF Toronto makes the playoffs, it's Boston or Tampa. That's it. Pick your poison. All the excuses for another first round loss are already in place, so the Leafs players will be congratulated on losing to a team that was #2 in points or whatever and fans/media will see it as a great badge of honor and say how close we were to winning the Cup while we're watching Boston/Tampa hoist it in June. 

3 hours ago, hobie said:

Your team is going to have to be good enough to first make the playoffs and then go deep enough to face TO.

I admire your glass half full nature.  😀👍

I'm more of a "glass half empty and broken" person by nature lol. 

1 hour ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

On one hand, I think most teams see Toronto as an ideal playoff opponent because the defence can be so easily exploited.  On the other hand, if Toronto gets 100% healthy by April, and gets all its top players back, I think teams would be concerned to bump into the Leafs knowing that a healthy Leafs team is a better team than their record indicates. Toronto would be one of the "dark horse" teams in the playoffs.  :) 

Given how things are shaping up, the Leafs are poised to face a weakened/damaged Tampa Bay Lightning team in round one minus Stamkos. That sort of opens the door for a healthy Leafs team to pull off an upset, and it's the only way Toronto could ever get past Tampa. If both teams are hurt, Tampa wins easily. If Stamkos returns, Tampa wins easily. So we'll see.

Right now, I just want to see this team win a round. Boston and Tampa are both vastly superior to the Leafs. I don't think the Leafs can beat either of them, so we'll never see the Leafs face any team from the Metro division. Plus both wildcards are going to the Metro division as well. So IF Toronto makes the playoffs, it's Boston or Tampa. That's it. Pick your poison. All the excuses for another first round loss are already in place, so the Leafs players will be congratulated on losing to a team that was #2 in points or whatever and fans/media will see it as a great badge of honor and say how close we were to winning the Cup while we're watching Boston/Tampa hoist it in June. 

Well maybe in the Atlantic it's tough to get to the cup which has already been won by the Bruins/Lightning but in the Metro we have to go through the two teams that have actually won the last 3 cups.