Zucker to Pittsburgh for a Cond 1st, Galchenyuk and Addison

bbgarnett

Addison a solid prospect sure to turn pro next season, if memory serves he played a bit a SWB last season in the AHL for a few games late and didn't embarrass. Not a fan of Galchenyuk now on his fourth team and barely able to shave, a well earned rep as a floater. Still, if your boys get anything either out of Chuckie or for him in a trade combined with Addison and a first it is a nice haul. The Pens added the desperately needed two way winger as they continue to be among the league leaders in man games lost.

3 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Addison a solid prospect sure to turn pro next season, if memory serves he played a bit a SWB last season in the AHL for a few games late and didn't embarrass. Not a fan of Galchenyuk now on his fourth team and barely able to shave, a well earned rep as a floater. Still, if your boys get anything either out of Chuckie or for him in a trade combined with Addison and a first it is a nice haul. The Pens added the desperately needed two way winger as they continue to be among the league leaders in man games lost.

3GP 2 assists for Wilkes Barre Scranton Penguins

Edited by bbgarnett
  • Like 1

Wouldn't be shocked if Guerin moves Galchenyuk before the deadline.  

Addison got a lot of game (Canada WJC PP QB).   While his defensive play has improved, it's still a question mark.

Like the first in a deep draft.   Would be interesting if their is a possibility to package the two firsts to move up.

1 minute ago, 4Check said:

Wouldn't be shocked if Guerin moves Galchenyuk before the deadline.

That would be a really smart move if they did. If he couldn't score on the Pens, he may be done scoring.  But someone will likely take a chance on him at the deadline. 

Just now, ruxpin said:

That would be a really smart move if they did. If he couldn't score on the Pens, he may be done scoring.  But someone will likely take a chance on him at the deadline. 

yeah maybe flip him for like a 5th/6th if possible 

• Like 1

Initially I thought Guerin totally fleeced PIT. We'll get an absolutely huge d-man prospect in Addison together with a 1st rounder. Galchenyuk might be able to play in a top six role while we are waiting for Kaprizov. If Gal sucks, the team might finally have some room for Mayhew.

It's magnificent for us. But maybe it is not that bad for this season's PIT either. I can see why PIT would like to have Zucker playing with Malkin or Crosby. That could be very nice for Zucker and for the playoffs hopes of PIT.

All the best for Zucker! 

• Like 2

I just realised Gal can speak Russian as well and knows what it is like to adjust to a different culture. If he is able to salvage his career, and stay in MIN next season, he can help in Kaprizov's adjustment to North America. The more I think about this trade, the more it makes me like Guerin. This looks like a really thought-out trade.

Pittsburgh gets: one of fastest forwards in the league, a hard-working, top-six, two-way proven point producer....and a King Clancy-winning genuinely nice guy who loves Minnesota and wants to raise his kids here.

Minnesota gets: fourth-line journeyman now with fourth professional organization; rights to undersized teen-aged defenseman; and a late- first-round pick likely to yield another string-bean kid who no one this side of Scandinavia has heard of and who may never set skate on a North American rink.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Icechipper said:

Galchenyuk was born in Milwaukee, played junior for Team USA and in Canada, so suppose he can help Kiprosov adjust to North American beer.....

Exactly. Knows North American culture and beer, lived in Europe from age 4 to 15, speaks English, Russian and Italian. If he doesn't know how to adjust to different environments, no-one can.

• Like 1

Ugh. Chuckie is pretty much Vanek lite. Good PP player but floats a lot without the puck. Frustrated the hell out of me when he played for the Habs.

Atleast we got a prospect and a conditional too so it ain't bad that way.

• Like 1

Looking more at what they say about Addison and watched some clips, seems like there's a chance he might become the next Spurgeon. Though it may be a few more years before that happens.

Looks to me this trade was about getting the prospect and the 1st rounder, Chuckie just tags along for the ride (who still could be flipped for more prospects before the deadline).

Edited by Lonkkis
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

...  IMO, the exact kind of move we hoped last year from Fenton...and why we were mostly disappointed that he insisted on 'hockey trades.'  

Imagine if we would've gotten that from the Granlund trade.

• Uggh... 3

52 minutes ago, B21 said:

I'm cool with it as well.  My initial reaction was "Whoa - that's a lot for a guy on the books for $5MM+ for three more seasons who might have peaked 2 years ago...".  We don't need Derick Brassard 2.0.  That said, top 6 minutes on the Pens is not the same as top 6 minutes on the Wild (all due respect).  I'm optimistic he'll fit in nicely.  It's really the pick and Addison. Galchenyuk had to have been a throw in for salary space (i.e. - the deal gets done with or without him).  And...JR still has most of the cap space from Guentzel on LTIR to play with.

It's all about maximizing the Crosby/Malkin window at this point.

Well said. 

My thoughts on this. It was a salary dump and draft stockpiling move. I agree with @CreaseAndAssist that Addison seems to have peaked in Major Juniors. Galchenyuk appears to be a fill in 4th line guy who is going to be bouncing between teams all his career. Honestly, with the Wild's history of scouting and drafting players the first round pick doesn't excite me at all.

I do think we needed to do something to fix our awful salary issues. I don't like as the Wild continue to get older they are willing to get slower by getting rid of our fast guys unless our goal is to get top draft picks the next few years.

Good for Zucker for getting a chance to win a cup. I can almost see him becoming really good now that he is away from the Wild. It seems like players sitting on the line of becoming really good players flourish once they are off of the Wild roster.

We will see how this turns out. I can't say it's either good or bad. The only thing I see is a team shedding salary and trying to stockpile picks.

• Like 1

Damnitt - I was hoping Vegas would have gotten Zucker...  I think there was just too much mileage on Zucker from a MN standpoint - and I think that was starting to show (remember how many times they yanked his chain moving him up and down - skipped over for PP time, etc?). I think a lot of the players need to be shuffled around and re-inspired every 3 or 4 years - and I think Zucker has a lot more miles to go... Wish him the best...

Also saw Seeler's fight his first night in Chicago - big kid...

Anyways, lets hope that a few more tweaks like this start to align things more on this team since there are a few pieces that can't be moved...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Confrontational said:

Damnitt - I was hoping Vegas would have gotten Zucker...  I think there was just too much mileage on Zucker from a MN standpoint - and I think that was starting to show (remember how many times they yanked his chain moving him up and down - skipped over for PP time, etc?). I think a lot of the players need to be shuffled around and re-inspired every 3 or 4 years - and I think Zucker has a lot more miles to go... Wish him the best...

Also saw Seeler's fight his first night in Chicago - big kid...

Anyways, lets hope that a few more tweaks like this start to align things more on this team since there are a few pieces that can't be moved...

On the brightside Zucker is with a contender that is going all in to win it now and has a shot. Maybe he'll be hoisting the cup! Pens probably only have Sid for only another year or 2 before he retires so if it doesn't happen then Zuckers contract will end and he can move again. This could be best case scenario for him.

• Like 1