Zucker to Pittsburgh for a Cond 1st, Galchenyuk and Addison

bbgarnett

1 hour ago, EJ0226 said:

My thoughts on this. It was a salary dump and draft stockpiling move. I agree with @CreaseAndAssist that Addison seems to have peaked in Major Juniors. Galchenyuk appears to be a fill in 4th line guy who is going to be bouncing between teams all his career. Honestly, with the Wild's history of scouting and drafting players the first round pick doesn't excite me at all.

I do think we needed to do something to fix our awful salary issues. I don't like as the Wild continue to get older they are willing to get slower by getting rid of our fast guys unless our goal is to get top draft picks the next few years.

Good for Zucker for getting a chance to win a cup. I can almost see him becoming really good now that he is away from the Wild. It seems like players sitting on the line of becoming really good players flourish once they are off of the Wild roster.

We will see how this turns out. I can't say it's either good or bad. The only thing I see is a team shedding salary and trying to stockpile picks.

Agree with that. We have got rid out of our fastest player in  the Wild history. Bad mistake for the organization. I sincerely liked him a lot even when he was playing in the 4th line, because he was bringing benefits for the team and excitement to watch his speed and his chances to score. Very valuable 2 way player. Hope, he will get a chance to get a cup in his career. Wish Jason Zucker and his family all the best! Agree also, that we stockpiled lots of promising picks in AHL and minor leagues and even not giving them a chance to move to the big club.  Sad to observe that.  What is the reason for that? I do not know. And I would blame Zucker's trade for 2 years in a row not to Fenton or Guerin, but on our head coach Bruce Boudreau. I am sure that was his wish to get rid of him, but not general managers. 

Just now, Alexandron said:

Agree with that. We have got rid out of our fastest player in  the Wild history. Bad mistake for the organization. I sincerely liked him a lot even when he was playing in the 4th line, because he was bringing benefits for the team and excitement to watch his speed and his chances to score. Very valuable 2 way player. Hope, he will get a chance to get a cup in his career. Wish Jason Zucker and his family all the best! Agree also, that we stockpiled lots of promising picks in AHL and minor leagues and even not giving them a chance to move to the big club.  Sad to observe that.  What is the reason for that? I do not know. And I would blame Zucker's trade for 2 years in a row not to Fenton or Guerin, but on our head coach Bruce Boudreau. I am sure that was his wish to get rid of him, but not general managers. 

That was Gaborik

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lonkkis said:

Imagine if we would've gotten that from the Granlund trade.

It is what we expected from the Granlund trade.  Not sure if you heard this, but for a while I guess the offer was Granlund and something else from the Wild (a pick or a prospect) for Fiala.  But that seems to be the biggest difference between Fenton and Guerin so far in the deals that have been made.  Still a pretty small sample size at this point...

Love the trade, under performing top 6 forward that has really regressed from his contract year. We got a top defensive prospect that can help us move Dumba or Brodin for a legit #1 C or goalie. We have an enigma winger that could blossom or turn into a 5th or higher if he takes off here ala Nino 20 game streaks. We got a #1 pick. Most of all we HAD to move Zucker to make room for Kaprisov, because Parise and Zuccarello are going nowhere. 

33 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

I honestly don't think Boudreau had anything to do with it. In fact we know he has been forced to play certain players when he hasn't wanted to do. My guess is this trade came from a need to shed contracts and try to get draft picks for the future.  What sucks about losing speed is we are getting stuck with slow and old vets. I rather have a team of rookies with speed losing then a team of high paid vets that are declining and slow and losing. At least the rookies can improve and get better.

It's going to be rough as a Wild fan the next few years if Guerin is actually going to try and build the team correctly. Something that should have happened a good 5 or 6 years ago when it was clear the team wouldn't amount to much. As, Gaborik was the Wilds fastest player but I would argue Zucker was number 2.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TonyOday said:

Love the trade, under performing top 6 forward that has really regressed from his contract year. We got a top defensive prospect that can help us move Dumba or Brodin for a legit #1 C or goalie. We have an enigma winger that could blossom or turn into a 5th or higher if he takes off here ala Nino 20 game streaks. We got a #1 pick. Most of all we HAD to move Zucker to make room for Kaprisov, because Parise and Zuccarello are going nowhere. 

Honestly, Addison looks pretty good in Major Juniors but only had a 3 game AHL span before going back to Major Juniors last year. He wasn't bad but nothing like everybody keeps saying is some top tier prospect that is going to replace somebody in the NHL. Plus once again the Wild chase a 5'10 and 175 lb defenseman that will be pushed around when the Wild need to be getting bigger. I think everybody needs to keep their hype in check for this guy. I see a less effective Spurgeon in him right now and Spurgeon has been awful this year compared to what he normally is.

MASTER OF THE OBVIOUS:  This trade (and potentially one upcoming for Dumba and/or Brodin) sure shows the idiocy of CL in signing the Country Club to such LONG and COSTLY contracts complete with NMC/NTCs (who thought Parise and Suter would be performing assets until aged 40?!?).  In conjunction with the continuous moronic Koivu deals, and the inexplicable Zuccarello deal, we have really 'screwed the pooch' over several years of this laughable strategy, and will have to keep trading younger, faster, and more exciting players with big contracts to account for these gaffes (see Coyle, NN, Granlund, Zucker and soon Dumba and Brodin).  Hopefully, doing so leads to some top of the draft lottery prospects to rebuild this tire fire as we continue to get older, slower, and more stagnant with a dismal record over the next 1-3 years.  This had better be a learning experience for CL that you don't foster a twisted and unjustifiable attraction to hockey players on your team - you are JUST THE OWNER - act like it.   

TO DO's: Bring Kaprisov over, bring Khovanov and some of the younger guys in at the start of next year, give them Top 6 experience early (along with any of Greenway, Fiala, and Kunin now) and keep drafting and evaluating.  Also, start diminishing all TOI for Parise, Suter, Zucc, and maybe Staal, ASAFP.  There is 'nothing more to see here' in terms of these players.  Who cares about the playoffs, as if we get there we will be 'one and done again.'   I wouldn't even consider a 'league minimum' deal (or a bag of pucks) for another month of Koivu next year, and I think it is time for him to be a healthy scratch now.  I would also get away from Dubnyk by any means possible now or in summer.  I would also start to package out any other young or semi-old players that don't really fit (EEK?, and Donato, Rask, Hartman) to give us some wiggle room and additional assets.  I would take as many picks as I can get and trade up for the highest picks I can, and entrust these choices to ANY scout that has not been affiliated with any Wild First Round pick in past drafts - they clearly cannot make a Round 1 pick with any degree of success.

In short, what a mess BG walked into - both current and near future.  There needs to be a full rebuild now, and prolonging this slow motion cliff fall will only make it worse at the bottom...

• Good Post 1

One other thing; I think the Addison kid has some potential.  However, with Spurgeon here and Menell a potential up-and-comer, I don't really see the need for another sub 6 foot and sub 190 lb defenseman.  Thank God Soucy looks the part, and is playing like it.  I don't think one of Dumba or Brodin will be on the team next year (or even by the Trade Deadline).  So, we could get an extended look at Menell shortly.    

2 hours ago, Antti_Laxative said:

That was Gaborik

Gaborik was a highest scoring machine(single so far) for the team who always had groin problems limiting his speed, but was not a highest speeding machine. I do not remember a higher speed than Zucker had for any other players. He was the most fastest in the Wild history. 

1 hour ago, EJ0226 said:

I honestly don't think Boudreau had anything to do with it. In fact we know he has been forced to play certain players when he hasn't wanted to do. My guess is this trade came from a need to shed contracts and try to get draft picks for the future.  What sucks about losing speed is we are getting stuck with slow and old vets. I rather have a team of rookies with speed losing then a team of high paid vets that are declining and slow and losing. At least the rookies can improve and get better.

It's going to be rough as a Wild fan the next few years if Guerin is actually going to try and build the team correctly. Something that should have happened a good 5 or 6 years ago when it was clear the team wouldn't amount to much. As, Gaborik was the Wilds fastest player but I would argue Zucker was number 2.

He forced to play certain players but was not a case to make any major decisions in  trading without his decisions/his permissions. That would be a nonsense to have a valuable player for the team and  not to ask a coach in trading him to other team. GM always should have a good communication with the coach, otherwise it will create a chaos in organization.  

30 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

Gaborik was a highest scoring machine(single so far) for the team who always had groin problems limiting his speed, but was not a highest speeding machine. I do not remember a higher speed than Zucker had for any other players. He was the most fastest in the Wild history. 

You can re-word it a third time, and you'll still be wrong.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alexandron said:

He forced to play certain players but was not a case to make any major decisions in  trading without his decisions/his permissions. That would be a nonsense to have a valuable player for the team and  not to ask a coach in trading him to other team. GM always should have a good communication with the coach, otherwise it will create a chaos in organization.  

But we also know the Wild past GMs have been anything by typical. It was clear that Fletcher made trades without BB and then forcing players into BB game plans. My guess is Zucker maybe was asking for a trade quietly. 3 years of trade rumors from a organization that clearly shows they have no idea what they are doing might make any player ready to go. Hell, Kessel took one look at this mess and said no thanks to what I am sure is a nice contract with zero expectations. That should say something loudly.

But realistically the team needs to shed contracts. Our past GMs gave every single player we need to get rid of right away NTC/NMC. So now we have to look at moving guys that can at least give some value back. We don't have many. Zucker was one. Brodin is probably the next best piece. I would like to see Dumba moved. As a defenseman he isn't that great. Lots of mistakes that cost our team for a few offensive points here and there is not good. But beyond that we don't have much. We need to move Parise, Suter, Koivu, Zuccarello and Spurgeon. They all have no trade clauses. We also need to move Staal and Dubnyk. They have modified contracts that they can only be moved to select teams. More then likely it's teams that don't have interest in them.

I hope BG learns from the past GMs mistakes. Do not give out NMC like candy. Do not give out crazy contracts unless you have a legit star like Crosby, Ovechkin, Kane, etc. Parise and Suter were never stars except by fans who bought the snake oil that the Wild were selling on these two. I feel for him because he has a lot of work to do and I honestly wonder if he will have his job in 5 years when maybe his work starts to pay off. If the seats empty at the X, Leipold will react and could place the blame on BG for it. Leipold isn't smart enough to see the damage his old GMs made and how long it will take to fix.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Antti_Laxative said:

You can re-word it a third time, and you'll still be wrong.

You have your own opinion, but I have my own personal opinion too of what I have seen and what I have read and compared. Special for the forth time for you : Zucker did that in 10 seconds, who was single in a Wild history for doing the fastest goal because of his speed of moving. No one passed him in that task and I think, no one will ever repeat that task for the Wild in a nearest future.  Regarding Gaborik - read my previous message.( People from different forums were saying same things - he was very fast fantastic goal scorer for the Wild, but his continuous groin problems limited his highest potential speed and ability to play every game because of that). 

31 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

You have your own opinion, but I have my own personal opinion too of what I have seen and what I have read and compared. Special for the forth time for you : Zucker did that in 10 seconds, who was single in a Wild history for doing the fastest goal because of his speed of moving. No one passed him in that task and I think, no one will ever repeat that task for the Wild in a nearest future.  Regarding Gaborik - read my previous message.( People from different forums were saying same things - he was very fast fantastic goal scorer for the Wild, but his continuous groin problems limited his highest potential speed and ability to play every game because of that). 

Dear Captain Obvious:' It's not a newsflash to 'inform' all of us that Gabby had a glass groin. That fact, in no way, shape or form precludes him from clearly being the fastest player this franchise has ever seen. It's not close.

Also...what does scoring the fastest goal have to do with the fastest player?!?!

You'd be hard pressed to identify any NHL'er (including fully-equipped goalies) who can't manage to get from centre ice to the goal line in 10 seconds!

Tone it back some. Give the hyperbole a break.

Edited by Antti_Laxative

I always thought Walz or Laaksonen might be faster than Gaborik back in those days.  It would be close, but the team did have some speed back then.  The real question people should be asking about Zucker is why did he stop using his wheels?  He caused lots of problems when he did just turn on the jets, so why limit their use or just abandon it altogether?  

Either way...I don't care.  Galchenyuk was every bit of Vanek LITE last night I think as someone said above.  Little to no defense...cherry picks...doesn't get involved in puck battles unless he thinks he can sweep it up and just skate away.  He does have a bit more speed than Vanek, but an underwhelming debut for sure.  Yet, if this is a silver lining at all.  We didn't need him to be anything special last night and we don't really have to care too much if he is or not.  He's not the critical part of the deal, just an ends to a means.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I always thought Walz or Laaksonen might be faster than Gaborik back in those days.  It would be close, but the team did have some speed back then.  The real question people should be asking about Zucker is why did he stop using his wheels?  He caused lots of problems when he did just turn on the jets, so why limit their use or just abandon it altogether?  

Either way...I don't care.  Galchenyuk was every bit of Vanek LITE last night I think as someone said above.  Little to no defense...cherry picks...doesn't get involved in puck battles unless he thinks he can sweep it up and just skate away.  He does have a bit more speed than Vanek, but an underwhelming debut for sure.  Yet, if this is a silver lining at all.  We didn't need him to be anything special last night and we don't really have to care too much if he is or not.  He's not the critical part of the deal, just an ends to a means.  

Vanek........ gives me shivers. I thought for sure we would never have to talk about him again but the people who are saying Galchenyuk is Vanek lite are hitting the nail on the head. For sure avoiding situations that require work and possible touching another player. No defense for sure. He only has this year on his contract right and then we can let him catch the last train out of town?

18 hours ago, Antti_Laxative said:

A piece today on Chucky from TR

https://www.traderumours.com/index.php?blog=12703

Stuff like this just makes you go, "wtf are the Wilds Scouts doing/seeing?" It's pretty clear that this guy is a bust whose speed just isn't good enough for the NHL. Sounds like he will work hard but it seems like the skill just isn't there so why did we bother to pick him up? All you can do is shake your head.

15 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Another interesting article from same source regarding a Dumba's $5,000 fine for slashing Reaves yesterday:

https://www.traderumours.com/index.php?blog=12717

I just don't think Dumba is very intelligent. He makes so many bone headed mistakes and plays and never seems to learn. Hitting Reaves in that area guarantees he is going to learn why you never hit a another dude in the jewels especially a guy like Reaves.

On 2/11/2020 at 10:04 AM, Confrontational said:

Damnitt - I was hoping Vegas would have gotten Zucker...  I think there was just too much mileage on Zucker from a MN standpoint - and I think that was starting to show (remember how many times they yanked his chain moving him up and down - skipped over for PP time, etc?). I think a lot of the players need to be shuffled around and re-inspired every 3 or 4 years - and I think Zucker has a lot more miles to go... Wish him the best...

I always thought VGK's would pursue him big time for the home boy promotion in their first year.

Hopefully Jason has some fun with Pitts and can relax a bit. He'll probably light it up for a while like Nino did after he left.

1 hour ago, EJ0226 said:

Stuff like this just makes you go, "wtf are the Wilds Scouts doing/seeing?" It's pretty clear that this guy is a bust whose speed just isn't good enough for the NHL. Sounds like he will work hard but it seems like the skill just isn't there so why did we bother to pick him up? All you can do is shake your head.

I just don't think Dumba is very intelligent. He makes so many bone headed mistakes and plays and never seems to learn. Hitting Reaves in that area guarantees he is going to learn why you never hit a another dude in the jewels especially a guy like Reaves.

(shrugs)  I think any team feels that a change of scenery might bring out the best.  And given that chance in the Top 6 maybe you'll find out something another club didn't while they relegated that player to the 4th line.  Still, I don't think Galchenyuk's addition was something the Wild wanted as much as it was necessary to clear some cap space for the Penguins to get Zucker.  And since Galchenyuk is set to be a UFA this summer, the Wild are not really on the hook unless we decide its worth tendering him a contract.  

We'll see what Galchenyuk does with the rest of this audition or whether the Wild consider dealing him too to get even more in return.  Either way, I think the Wild made a smart savvy move.  If the deal's success or failure really hinged on Galchenyuk being able to figure it out and revert to 30-goal form, then the deal looks pretty iffy to say the least.  But I don't think it was about that at all.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Another interesting article from same source regarding a Dumba's $5,000 fine for slashing Reaves yesterday:

https://www.traderumours.com/index.php?blog=12717

I really thought Reeves was milking the injury to get a penalty, Until I saw the replay.

Another stupid decision by Dumba, Also allowing Reeves to get to him.

Reeves is an annoyance at best but that's his job and he does it well, But nobody deserves that type of action.

Certain codes need to be followed.

• Like 1