Game 57: Flyers at Islanders; 2/11/20 @ 7 PM

Howie58

our stars giroux, voraeck, and jvr have to step it up every game if this team wants to make the playoffs, they are just not showing up when it matters, that's why we keep losing to less talented teams. it just seems like they want nothing but a paycheck, the inconsistency started with this leadership.

@tucson83

give it a goddamned rest already.

Voracek has been really good recently and in fact most of the year- he's on pace for 70 ish points.

Giroux had a 2 point night last night.

Did you watch the ****** game ? a team with bad leadership packs it in at 15;00 in the first period when the score went 3-0 .

The Islanders in spite of my hatred of them don't suck.  There is no answer for Matthew Barzal most nights, he clowned everyone of our defensemen and 3/4s of our forwards at one point or another.

Find something else to complain about- 

That loss sucked.  It's not poor leadership, it's ****** hockey.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@tucson83

give it a goddamned rest already.

Voracek has been really good recently and in fact most of the year- he's on pace for 70 ish points.

Giroux had a 2 point night last night.

Did you watch the ****** game ? a team with bad leadership packs it in at 15;00 in the first period when the score went 3-0 .

The Islanders in spite of my hatred of them don't suck.  There is no answer for Matthew Barzal most nights, he clowned everyone of our defensemen and 3/4s of our forwards at one point or another.

Find something else to complain about- 

That loss sucked.  It's not poor leadership, it's ****** hockey.

yeah, when we are down 3 goals, they step up, not in the first period, how many cups has this team won under this leadership? 0, how many playoff wins has this team won under this leadership? 0, stats dont equal to cups, scoring goals and winning games does. no offense you dont seem to care about this team ever winning a cup because all you do is defend them like they are lindros and leclair.

is what apologists do, defend bad players and blame the coaches every year.

Edited by tucson83

I wonder how Barzal who was unstoppable every time he touched the puck in the 1st period and was then contained for 36 minutes was defended in those 36 minutes.

Did AV put Myers and Sanhiem out to keep the puck away from him ? Is that why they were out with 86 seconds left ? it would be interesting to see the matchup chart.  

It was as if MB was eating a hot dog and drinkin' beer in the 2nd and 3rd until the last minute of the game. 

Elliott's stats were not good, but he had some terrible puck luck on the first goal and no real chance on the 2 on 1... The Pulock shot though even though it was a howitzer shot didn't appear to be screened unless JvR waving goodbye to it interfered with 37's vision.

That shot was perfectly placed and a ****** bomb.  I would like to think maybe JvR lays out to block that shot after the whole team sold out to tie that game...it would have taken a fair amount of courage for sure and I have no idea if I would have slid into the shooter there, but damn, Pulock had a lot of time to tee that thing up. 

3 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

yeah, when we are down 3 goals, they step up, not in the first period, how many cups has this team won under this leadership? 0, how many playoff wins has this team won under this leadership? 0, stats dont equal to cups, scoring goals and winning games does. no offense you dont seem to care about this team ever winning a cup because all you do is defend them like they are lindros and leclair.

is what apologists do, defend bad players and blame the coaches every year.

the team hasn't won a championship since 75... so it's not like there's some sort of rich history 28 & 93 aren't living up to here. That's just fact.

the Lindros era was the most disappointing for me since I've been a fan, those teams should have won something, but I don't see any banners hanging in the rafters because of those guys ...My favorite group as I've told you was the Poulin, Propp Howe and Kerr team. That was the team that turned me into a fan . 

I call it like I see it, 28 and 93 haven't had a whole lot of help since they've been "the core" .  The fact they've made the playoffs at all since 2012 is testament to their skill, the fact they haven't advanced is proof of concept that one line teams don't win in the tournament.

That they lost that game last night after coming back from 3 goals down stings, they were the better team for most of the game. The result really felt unjust. Let's hope they can bounce back against the Panthers who are team they struggle with. 

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

I would like to think maybe JvR lays out to block that shot

HAHAHA thank you for my first laugh of the young day...i hope i have more.

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

no real chance on the 2 on 1

There were two key mistakes on that one first to set it up Sanheim hesitated on a pinch he committed and time he did he questioned in a split second should and by that time the puck was around him and off to the races and then Laughton has to do a better job stopping the pass for the tap in shot. It just wasn't their night....just see the TK deflection miss off the post.

Time to look at the tape rest up gets some practice and prepare for the road trip starting with the team chasing them the Panthers.

One thing is for sure it is time to find another backup for Hart.

Elliott will be 35 in April and it is time for him to find a new team this offseason if he wants to continue to play.

My target replacement:

Laurent Brossoit first choice.

If the Jets resign him second option.

Pavel Francouz.

3rd option

Jaroslav Halak if he is available.

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 1

@OccamsRazor

RE: JvR  man I was so whelmed by his signing, he continues to just whelm. 

That play was his Flyers career to me in microcosm. Bunnaman lays out there, in the recent past there was a picture of like 4 players laying out in front of a shot, it just seemed that after that effort to tie that up guys would piss on spark plugs to get the game to OT.  

Everyone got clowned by Barzal last night so I'm not going to kill Myers for getting deked by one the best skaters in the league, but man the puck watching from the forwards from below the dots was tres terrible'.

• Like 1

Another thing that will help and not sure how they fix this.

Flyers have allowed 44 first-period goals on the road, most in the NHL.

I guess it starts with all 6 on the ice being on the same page....slow starts has plagued them since as far as i can remember.

And fixing the putrid power play the other day they were ranked 16th and in two games they have dropped to 19th.

It's falling fast and it seems like they don't have an answer for it. At what point do they start to try different personnel??

It's killing them and if they don't fix it and IF they can get in vs a Capitals team it looks like with it struggling like this i could see them getting swept quick.

2 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

the puck watching from the forwards from below the dots was tres terrible'.

Yeah it seems strange that they employ guys i guess collapsing so far down low yet not really covering a man is strange.

When you watching other teams collapse in similar type fashion they do it to be right on top of someone so if the puck comes to them they can defend it....but when the Flyers seem to do it they just collapse just enough to look as if everyone is looking for someone else to get the puck and pass it out to them so they can get the puck out of the zone.

But hey guys that sh it doesn't work if SOMEONE doesn't go actually get the damn puck!!!!! The Flyers have just too many guys who want to watch someone else do the dirty work.

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

JvR  man I was so whelmed by his signing, he continues to just whelm. 

It's funny because he was the no question top choice available when "everybody" wanted Hextall to sign a top FA to add to the team.

You & I may not be included in  "everybody".

It's part of the danger of "needing" something for next season and signing them to a 5+ year deal.

That said, guy did have 27 goals in 66 games last season... 30-goal scorers don't grow on trees and, quite often, don't have 200-foot games.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, radoran said:

It's funny because he was the no question top choice available when "everybody" wanted Hextall to sign a top FA to add to the team.

You & I may not be included in  "everybody".

I for sure was in the backseat of your wagon on that one.  I did not and still don't want, JVR on this team.   I remember being shocked and pissed when I found out.  I believe my post was something like "...something something retread......."

He's currently 5th on the team in total points but it always feels those points are either tap ins where someone else does all the work, empty net goals or meaningless (like the 6th goal) ones.   I have no data to back it up and don't have time to do it.  Just stating what my eyes and brain have seen.

• Like 3

$h!t.  I have work to do but couldn't stop myself. 

1) JVR shouldn't be on the ice with less than a minute to go in the game.   That's on the coaches. 

2) JVR makes himself as small as possible but is still "trying" to block the shot.   That limits Elliot's vision.  

3) Elliot has to make that stop with no other screen beside JVR impersonating a tall turtle

4) I'm not a goalie, but should Elliot be down at that point in time?   I guess so.

image.png.e748e5aacbdd3c395c18bc832008e6ee.png

Edited by Digityman

4 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I wonder how Barzal who was unstoppable every time he touched the puck in the 1st period and was then contained for 36 minutes was defended in those 36 minutes.

Did AV put Myers and Sanhiem out to keep the puck away from him ? Is that why they were out with 86 seconds left ? it would be interesting to see the matchup chart.  

It was as if MB was eating a hot dog and drinkin' beer in the 2nd and 3rd until the last minute of the game. 

Elliott's stats were not good, but he had some terrible puck luck on the first goal and no real chance on the 2 on 1... The Pulock shot though even though it was a howitzer shot didn't appear to be screened unless JvR waving goodbye to it interfered with 37's vision.

That shot was perfectly placed and a ****** bomb.  I would like to think maybe JvR lays out to block that shot after the whole team sold out to tie that game...it would have taken a fair amount of courage for sure and I have no idea if I would have slid into the shooter there, but damn, Pulock had a lot of time to tee that thing up. 

That's been Barzal's issue. He can dominate when he wants and then disappears for stretches. That one of the reason's he got called out by his coach a couple weeks ago.

• Like 1