Ghost to Montreal?

CoachX

47 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

The Blackhawks were a vastly superior team that year, but I went back and looked at that season (long since forgotten for Leafs fans since we finished dead last in the East) but your playoff opponent got easier with each passing round until you ran into Chicago.

New Jersey (hard)

Boston (medium)

Montreal (easier)

Chicago (hard)

Chicago was better in everything that year. It would have been an upset if the Flyers had won that year.  :) 

That year couldn't have lined up better for them leading up the finals.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Digityman said:

That year couldn't have lined up better for them leading up the finals.

How were the Bruins medium?  Because of where they finished on the year? 

They won the cup the next season and their roster wasn't that different.  They key players are still there now and they're still superior.

The Habs were the other "surprise" team, but they had to beat the president's trophy winning caps and the defending champ penguins.  They were on arguably just as hot a streak as the Flyers.  The Flyers system and aggressive forecheck simply matched up much much better against them than any other team the Flyers faced that year.

About the only thing you can say about the path to the finals for the Flyers that year is that on paper, they were much better than the record that they snuck into the playoffs on.  

2 hours ago, mkscrewy said:

Carter still would have missed the GW goal in game 6.

I was at that game and half way outta my seat ready to see the crowd explode until Carter shot the puck into Niemi's mask with flat on his stomach and the entire net open. It will haunt me for life as much as the offsides goal against the isles. 

6 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Write this down and memorize it. It may cure the delusion:

Ghost is NOT bouncing back as a Flyer. There may be hope that a change of scenery helps him, so that's where maybe you get something decent for him. But what you see is exactly what you'll get as a Flyer. His numbers as a flyer are past tense. Projecting them forward is silliness. 

Move him. There are more kids right behind, so just do it. 

And for the love of God, NO SCHENN. 

I believe this says it all .......

image.png.15d3a929499e2ae783adbe488f1d5306.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, King Knut said:

It still hurts me too... but the guy was playing on two broken feet.  I'm not going to hang him for it.

Agreed.  And it's not like it's the first time someone's missed the net.   Even perfectly healthy, it's a little harder than it looks, even for a "star."

19 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Others here have said it on occasion, but I'm still in favor of seeing what he looks like on the wing.

EDIT:  "In favor of" is probably a stronger sentiment than I intended.  "Wouldn't be opposed to..." is probably better.

Edited by ruxpin
Semantics
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Agreed.  And it's not like it's the first time someone's missed the net.   Even perfectly healthy, it's a little harder than it looks, even for a "star."

People love to hate on him, but he was the Flyer getting votes for the Hart and the Selke those years.  

39 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Others here have said it on occasion, but I'm still in favor of seeing what he looks like on the wing.

EDIT:  "In favor of" is probably a stronger sentiment than I intended.  "Wouldn't be opposed to..." is probably better.

I'd suggest that's worth a try if they don't trade him.  

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

The Leafs are going to acquire this guy at the trade deadline (I just know it) and I'm going to stop watching them when they do.

Dubas is the kind of GM who would trade away Toronto's scoring depth and/or draft picks to get yet another defenceman like this. 

How were the Bruins medium?  Because of where they finished on the year? 

Yes.  :) 

They won the cup the next season and their roster wasn't that different.

But they weren't quite there yet at that stage. 

They key players are still there now and they're still superior.

Boston always has the key players there and they're always superior. Boston is the most dominant franchise in the NHL. (Yes, Montreal and Toronto have more Cups, blah blah blah... I know... but Toronto hasn't done anything in 50 years and Montreal hasn't done anything for over 25 years, so both of them have lost their title as #1 and #2. Today, #1 is either Boston or Pittsburgh and not even Pittsburgh can match that level of consistency despite the recent Cup wins.)  :( 

2 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Yes.  :) 

But they weren't quite there yet at that stage. 

Boston always has the key players there and they're always superior. Boston is the most dominant franchise in the NHL. (Yes, Montreal and Toronto have more Cups, blah blah blah... I know... but Toronto hasn't done anything in 50 years and Montreal hasn't done anything for over 25 years, so both of them have lost their title as #1 and #2. Today, #1 is either Boston or Pittsburgh and not even Pittsburgh can match that level of consistency despite the recent Cup wins.)  :( 

Them losing Savard (thanks to Matt Cooke) and Krecji hurt their depth big time that playoff run.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Agree ....put me in the camp of  "Wouldn't be opposed to..."

People love to hate on him, but he was the Flyer getting votes for the Hart and the Selke those years.  

I never understood the hate he received. He was our best goal scorer. He was a good 2 way player. His skating was so effortless it looked like he wasn't trying. 

The team scored 22 goals in 6 games. Almost 4 goals per game in the Stanley Cup final is enough to win. Allowing over 4 per game is the reason they lost. And that sure wasn't on Carter.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I never understood the hate he received. He was our best goal scorer. He was a good 2 way player. His skating was so effortless it looked like he wasn't trying. 

The team scored 22 goals in 6 games. Almost 4 goals per game in the Stanley Cup final is enough to win. Allowing over 4 per game is the reason they lost. And that sure wasn't on Carter.

I think it was because it looked effortless. People thought he was lazy.  

They didn’t watch him play defense. they didn’t understand his value.  

you're absolutely right about the finals and the scoring.  

neither Team had a good goalie.  The blackhawks has a healthy one.  That ended up being the difference.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I think when you mix this with the partying gossip, you had the perfect storm for the Philly fan base. 

Philly's sports radio and media really don't help that condition. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Your trip down NHL memory lane seems to have conveniently left out the Motor City.

3 hours ago, elmatus said:

Your trip down NHL memory lane seems to have conveniently left out the Motor City.

Detroit had a fantastic run from the early 90's up until a few years ago.  Boston's run however, never ends. They were great before Detroit became great. They were great the whole time Detroit was great, and Boston is still great now. They may not cash in on too many Cups, but I think Boston holds the NHL record for most playoff appearances and their lifetime win-loss record is second only to Montreal... and they'll pass Montreal in that soon too. In another 10 years or so, Boston will move into #1 all time because they finish an average of 20 points ahead of Montreal in the standings every year. 

3 hours ago, FD19372 said:

Yet, Boston only has one Cup to show for it in recent times.

My hypothesis is that the Bruins show no real sign of urgency to win once the playoffs begin. If you know there's always "next year", then you treat the playoffs like it's the regular season.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, King Knut said:

They didn’t watch him play defense. they didn’t understand his value.  

Bingo!

The guy was excellent at getting into passing lanes and breaking up plays with his stick. Being non-physical was another reason I believe....though most goal scorers don't hit much.

On 2/12/2020 at 2:50 PM, RonJeremy said:

There is always a deal to be made. A guy like you would be saying theres no way Tsylor Hall goes for an average dman like Larson, but it  happened.

That deal was made based on Peter Chiarelli being so dumb that he sleeps with a ruler under his pillow to see how long he sleeps.

• Haha 2

RE: Carter...if only he had a max effort face, Philly would have loved him.

I was a person who called people out for hating Carter too. 

This fan bases ability to turn on their top guys is nothing new...hell I remember my 2nd NHL game in Pgh when the Flyers fans were pissed at Bobby Clarke and wanted to trade him for Brian ****** Spencer...Clarke was a healthy scratch and everyone of my uncle's friends were like that's it Clarke's outta here....good riddance. 

I get not being such a homer but, Philly's relationship to its best players is ****** ridiculously disfunctional.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I think when you mix this with the partying gossip, you had the perfect storm for the Philly fan base. 

Philly's sports radio and media really don't help that condition. 

I never understood the partying thing.  

If it gets in the way of games or practice or their overall health, then the coach or management needed to step in, but otherwise, these are 20-something kids most of whom never went to college or lived in a city with any kind of a "scene".   

Showing up hung over all the time and hence reducing your efficacy was a player is a problem and if the team can't keep an eye on that or step in with corrective measures, then that's really on the organization IMHO.

But people seem to get jealous that Richards and Carter got to party and get it on with attractive young women... which... come on, really?

• Like 2