Boumeester collaspes on bench

Brewin Flames

Jay Bouwmeester
Getty

Blues-Ducks game postponed after Jay Bouwmeester collapses on bench

•  
  •  

Scary scene in Anaheim on Tuesday night as St. Louis Blues defenseman Jay Bouwmeester collapsed on the team’s bench and required medical assistance due to what general manager Doug Armstrong called a “cardiac moment.”

The game was immediately stopped, with the Ducks and Blues eventually agreeing to postpone the game.

It will be completed at a yet-to-be-determined date.

The incident happened with 7:50 remaining in the first period during a stoppage in play. Bouwmeester had just skated a one minute and 20 second shift prior to that.

The Blues broadcast indicated that Bouwmeester had his eyes open and was acknowledging medical staff while being transported to a local hospital.

Blues general manager Doug Armstrong issued the following statement late Tuesday night:

“With 7:50 remaining in the first period of our game tonight, Jay Bouwmeester suffered a cardiac episode and collapsed on our bench after completing his shift.

Thankfully, with the quick response of our medical trainers, Anaheim medical trainers and their team physicians, they were able to stabilize Jay.

He was alert and moving all of his extremities as he was transported to UC Irvine Medical Center. Currently, Jay is conscious and alert as he undergoes further testing by Anaheim’s physicians. We will update Jay’s condition on Wednesday morning.”

The 36-year-old Bouwmeester has appeared 1,240 regular season games over 17 seasons in the NHL. He has played 490 of those games as a member of the Blues.

1 hour ago, Brewin Flames said:

All i can do is pray he fully recovers...scary stuff.

Cardiac incident from all accounts. Career probably done, the last purely speculative on my part. Horrible frightening incident, hope for a full recovery.

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

Cardiac incident from all accounts. Career probably done, the last purely speculative on my part. Horrible frightening incident, hope for a full recovery.

It could be a bunch of things, but my gut reaction is it looked possibly like SVT.  If so, ablation procedure will take him out for a month or two and then back at it.  I'm hoping that's it.    SVT, if it's masking WPW, can be dangerous, but the procedure is the same and it's good that it went as it did.

• Like 1

How lucky is Jaybo to have had not 1 but 2 professional medical staffs there to help in that situation?

Everyone did their jobs to save his life, what happened is terrible but he is fortunate, I wish for him a speedy recovery. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

It could be a bunch of things

It really could have there been any reports yet as to what is was yet?

Only thing i have seen is that is ok right now. Jiri Fischer type scare...i don't think he ever played again...right??

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

It really could have there been any reports yet as to what is was yet?

Only thing i have seen is that is ok right now. Jiri Fischer type scare...i don't think he ever played again...right??

Shocked with the paddles, reported as a cardiac 'incident' with more news to come in a presser today. Like you I thought of Jiri Fischer who indeed never played again (still very much involved in the Wings front office) and I thought of former Rangers prospect Alexei Cherepanov who died on the bench in a KHL game because proper equipment and medical staff were unavailable when he had more or less the same thing happen to him. Wishing Bo the best, Nick Peverley had an incident and was able to return to the game but this looked pretty damn brutal to me. I seriously would place money on this being the end of the line. Health after the game is everything, wishing him a speedy recovery and hope I am wrong about how bad it is but man, as a guy who has been cracked open like a walnut a few times things like this seem very scary and life altering. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yave1964 said:

I seriously would place money on this being the end of the line.

Yes i agree and i'm sure it would help him to walk away now that he finally has won a Cup. He needs to worry about life after hockey.

This is just a game...life is so much more important. I hope he gets back his health and makes the right call for him.

• Like 1

Man that was a scary video to watch. The slow slump finally into a fall on the floor. I am glad so many people seen it happening right away. You can see 29 (not for sure who that is as I don't follow Blues much) waving people over right away followed by Pietrangelo jumping for help and taking off to get somebody. Amazing staff. Prayers for Bouwmeester to fully recover.

Also hats off to the Ducks to postpone the game after this. Classy act.

• Like 1