Game 58: Flyers at Panthers; 2/13/20 @ 7 PM

Howie58

Greetings:

Florida is a mild favorite:

https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/philadelphia-florida-odds-february-13-2020-1163576

It appears to be a Bobo-Hart matchup.  We beat them 3-1 last week in Philly.  Can we take the season series?

https://winnersandwhiners.com/games/nhl/2-13-2020/philadelphia-flyers-vs-florida-panthers-prediction-3510/

PROJECTED STARTING LINEUPS (subject to change, will be updated)

FLYERS (based on Tuesday's Lineup)

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 93 Jakub Voracek
49 Joel Farabee - 13 Kevin Hayes - 11 Travis Konecny
25 James van Riemsdyk - 21 Scott Laughton - 18 Tyler Pitlick
12 Michael Raffl - 82 Connor Bunnaman - 62 Nicolas Aube-Kubel

9 Ivan Provorov - 15 Matt Niskanen
6 Travis Sanheim -5 Phil Myers
8 Robert Hägg - 61 Justin Braun

79 Carter Hart
37 Brian Elliott

Power Play 1: Giroux, Couturier, Konecny, Voracek, Provorov.
Power Play 2: JVR, Hayes, Farabee, Sanheim, Niskanen.

Scratches: 53 Shayne Gostisbehere (knee), 48 Morgan Frost (healthy).

LTIR: 55 Sam Morin (torn ACL, out for season), 23 Oskar Lindblom (Ewing sarcoma, out for season), 19 Nolan Patrick (migraines).

PANTHERS

11 Jonathan Huberdeau - 16 Aleksander Barkov - 63 Evgenii Dadonov
7 Colton Sceviour - 21 Vincent Trocheck - 10 Brett Connolly
77 Frank Vatrano - 14 Dominic Toninato - 68 Mike Hoffman
19 Mike Matheson - 55 Noel Acciari - 13 Mark Pysyk

52 Mackenzie Weeger - 5 Aaron Ekblad
61Riley Stillman - 6 Anton Strålman
3 Keith Yandle - 2 Josh Brown

72 Sergei Bobrovsky
[33 Sam Montembeault]

Power Play 1: Huberdeau, Barkov, Dadonov, Hoffman, Yandle
Power Play 2: Trocheck, Connolly, Matheson, Vatrano, Ekblad

Scratches: 8 Jayce Hawryluk (healthy), 62 Denis Malgin (healthy), 9 Brian Boyle (upper body, day-to-day).

IR: 60 Chris Driedger (lower body).

This is a good matchup.  These teams are in "advanced rebuild" mode with good young players and successful coaches.  The question is whether the O and B can overcome bad starts and "awayitis?"  I have to think performance will have impact on trade decisions, if any.  

That top line of Barkov, Huberdeau, Dadonov has a ridiculous amount of high end talent. Any chance at winning this game starts with slowing those guys down somehow. Barkov is one of the most highly skilled players in the league, and an expert at just taking what little bits other teams give up and making magic happen out of nothing.

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, elmatus said:

That top line of Barkov, Huberdeau, Dadonov has a ridiculous amount of high end talent. Any chance at winning this game starts with slowing those guys down somehow. Barkov is one of the most highly skilled players in the league, and an expert at just taking what little bits other teams give up and making magic happen out of nothing.

Barkov hasn't scored a goal in 5 games.

So he is gripping his stick a little hard.

What will be key is not giving up a early goal and it would be nice to get the first one again.

I feel better about their chances with Hart between the pipes.

Getting the regulation win would be huge.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Barkov hasn't scored a goal in 5 games.

Sure, it happens to all players, that doesn't change his boatload of talent. Also worth noting Huberdeau is far from a slouch either.

I'm not saying the Flyers can't win by any stretch. They absolutely can. I'm just saying that line is a serious contender for one of the most talented in all of the NHL. As such, slowing them down somehow really has to be a priority. 

Put another way, our top line in pts this season: Couts (50), TK (47), and Giroux (41).

Their top line in pts this season: Huberdeau (68), Barkov (55), and Dadonov (41)

Despite that, both teams are fairly even in terms of wins and positioning. That's a very measurable difference in on-ice performance between top lines (~25 pts difference). To me, it suggests Florida relies on their top line to win games a lot more than we do. If we can find a way to slow down that top line, that would be a substantial mark in our favour.

Obviously scoring first and more often are also clear advantages. No reason to choose one or the other. Do both!

• Like 1

All in, Tallon has done a pretty good job with the draft and depth trades.  His Bobo signing may come back to haunt him.  Agreed that their first line is very talented.  I live a few miles from Sunrise and had a partial seasons pass for a few years but gave up trying to "bond" with the squad.  I am happy with my NHL Center Ice and Flyers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Howie58 said:

All in, Tallon has done a pretty good job with the draft and depth trades.  His Bobo signing may come back to haunt him.  Agreed that their first line is very talented.  I live a few miles from Sunrise and had a partial seasons pass for a few years but gave up trying to "bond" with the squad.  I am happy with my NHL Center Ice and Flyers.

We're all happy about your clear-minded decision also, @Howie58.

5 hours ago, elmatus said:

Sure, it happens to all players, that doesn't change his boatload of talent. Also worth noting Huberdeau is far from a slouch either.

I'm not saying the Flyers can't win by any stretch. They absolutely can. I'm just saying that line is a serious contender for one of the most talented in all of the NHL. As such, slowing them down somehow really has to be a priority. 

Put another way, our top line in pts this season: Couts (50), TK (47), and Giroux (41).

Their top line in pts this season: Huberdeau (68), Barkov (55), and Dadonov (41)

Despite that, both teams are fairly even in terms of wins and positioning. That's a very measurable difference in on-ice performance between top lines (~25 pts difference). To me, it suggests Florida relies on their top line to win games a lot more than we do. If we can find a way to slow down that top line, that would be a substantial mark in our favour.

Obviously scoring first and more often are also clear advantages. No reason to choose one or the other. Do both!

Well said.

Not a knock on the Panthers and not to take anything away from the Flyers games vs them but it does seem like they are a one line team.

Tampa will be a great test Saturday.

31 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

t does seem like they are a one line team.

It does. 

And I don't understand it. Trochek and Hoffman should be better than that. I'm a huge Trochek fan, but he's been pedestrian this year.  Unless he and Hoffman just don't mesh for whatever reason

Tell you what. Hoffman/Trochek produce like they should and Bob is anywhere close to normal and the Flyers are looking up at them.  Leafs, too. 

EDIT:  Then again, the Flyers could play that "what if" game too. 

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1

Some how I missed that Sanheim is dinged up and didn't play the 3rd period.

I guess that is what I get trying to multitask with the game on.

However down Sanheim might explain them giving up the 2 goals they did.

I hope he is ok and is good enough to play in Tampa they will need him against that team.

I guess we'll wait to hear word.

There were a lot of positive to take from this game but i want to take a second to talk about the guys who never get spot light but who have deserved some mention.

The 4th line of Bunnaman, Raffl and NAK.

Man they were outstanding.

I have to say I love this line and it's make up.

The way the team is playing and all the pieces that are in place I'm not sure Chuckles does a whole lot at the deadline.

There just does seem to be that glaring hole on the team we have seen in the past.

And all the prospects who are waiting for a chance I just don't see anything major going down.

And I'm fine with that. I do not want to overpay for anything crazy. Just wait till the offseason.

And JVR has even come alive 14 points in his last 13 games who knew....

• Like 1

@OccamsRazor

I've been saying something similar to this on twitter, Bunnaman looks like he understands what he needs to do to play in the NHL.

He can skate, he will hit, he is not a dumbass,  he doesn't quit on puck battles even when he's beaten he still puts his stick in a passing lane or chips a guy as he skates past- both he and NAK do that at a high tempo and they are really a good forechecking presence.

He and Aube-Kubel compliment Raffl's game so well, they're all so smart. Raffl will put the puck to a space because he knows 62 can go and get it. 

I agree 100% those guys are playing so well together, it's fun to watch our guys grinding the hell out of the other team. so refreshing

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@OccamsRazor

I've been saying something similar to this on twitter, Bunnaman looks like he understands what he needs to do to play in the NHL.

He can skate, he will hit, he is not a dumbass,  he doesn't quit on puck battles even when he's beaten he still puts his stick in a passing lane or chips a guy as he skates past- both he and NAK do that at a high tempo and they are really a good forechecking presence.

He and Aube-Kubel compliment Raffl's game so well, they're all so smart. Raffl will put the puck to a space because he knows 62 can go and get it. 

I agree 100% those guys are playing so well together, it's fun to watch our guys grinding the hell out of the other team. so refreshing

Yes.

And Tampa with their depth is a excellent test again they need to pass.

I hope they have the services of Sanheim to attempt this.