Wild relieve head coach Bruce Boudreau of duties

lynxrattle

On 2/15/2020 at 9:55 AM, ruxpin said:

Can't help you with the timing.  But I have never been a fan of Bruce and thought the Wild hiring him was a horrible mistake.   [EDIT:   Probably more to the point, I thought it was a mistake for him.  But a mistake for the Wild, as well]

He's had good teams in Washington and Anaheim with explosive offensive talent and couldn't seal the deal.  He had money, tons of booze, and a room full of hookers and in both instances remained faithful to his hand. 

He never had any of that in Minnesota, so management hires him expecting what, exactly? 

Sorry, a handful of decent players (but not one remotely great player) and a goalie who played well under a system that got changed. 

Bruce may very well be the most overrated coach of the last 20 years and it's amazing to me that even hockey people seem to miss that. 

People will refuse to blame him. And, honestly, there's a lot of merit to that in Minnesota.  It was a badly mismatched hire and I was frankly shocked he accepted there. It just seemed so very different from what his previous teams looked like (maybe that was the attraction). So, he'll land another job somewhere. And fail.  

Rinse. Repeat. 

What I don't get is "why now?"  Then again, given the timing of the GM change (the change itself was merited, IMO) maybe weird timing is the new norm for the Wild. 

Sorry, I know I'm on a board with a lot of Bruce fans. Even at previous stops, I've just never understood that. 

So you didn't hate him, but you thought he was horrible.  What a big difference. :rolleyes:  I don't give two schitts about his whole career.  Its what's relevant NOW.  For the Wild, he was probably the 2nd best coach in team history behind Jacques Lemaire.  Both of those coaches managed to make chicken salad out of chicken schitt.  It may not have resulted in a Stanley Cup, but they got a lot out of rosters that were marginal.  They had a few 'used to be' good veterans...or in Lemaire's case...one star player and a whole lot of 3rd & 4th liners.  

The only credit I'll give Little Billy in this situation he at least delivered this message face to face and not through a text, or a phone call.  

I think most Minnesota fans liked Bruce Boudreau a lot and respected him because he was hockey all of the time.  I think he was honest and candid about mistakes he made and the mistakes the team made short of calling specific people out.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

So you didn't hate him, but you thought he was horrible.  What a big difference. :rolleyes:  I don't give two schitts about his whole career.  Its what's relevant NOW.  For the Wild, he was probably the 2nd best coach in team history behind Jacques Lemaire.  Both of those coaches managed to make chicken salad out of chicken schitt.  It may not have resulted in a Stanley Cup, but they got a lot out of rosters that were marginal.  They had a few 'used to be' good veterans...or in Lemaire's case...one star player and a whole lot of 3rd & 4th liners.  

The only credit I'll give Little Billy in this situation he at least delivered this message face to face and not through a text, or a phone call.  

I think most Minnesota fans liked Bruce Boudreau a lot and respected him because he was hockey all of the time.  I think he was honest and candid about mistakes he made and the mistakes the team made short of calling specific people out.  

[shrugs]  Okay.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Icechipper said:

I can see Ryan Suter sort of transitioning into that player/coach role, not unlike the career of a legend such as Reg Dunlop.........😎

🤢🤮🤬

And don't you dear put Ryan Suters name with Reg Dunlop. Paul Newman is probably spinning in his grave with that insult!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Little Billy eh?   

26 minutes ago, lynxrattle said:

He didn't have the balls to tell his reasoning behind Boudreau's firing. If he would have been straightforward about it, the fan base would be a lot less incensed about it.

A GM  will rarely dis  an outgoing coach.  THAT in NHL circles is classless!

Edited by 4Check
re-arrange words

39 minutes ago, 4Check said:

A GM  will rarely dis  an outgoing coach.  THAT in NHL circles is classless!

Yeah i know and partly agree there. It's just that in today's media world we get all this info and disinformation from Twitter, blogs, podcasts etc. I think there needs to be a culture change and the GM's need to start responding to the info flood with facts they give the fans.

Meanwhile, the Nashville Predators are still happy Craig Leipold sold the team.

Psst, hey Mikko want to waive your no trade clause? Umm no.

Psst, hey Zach want to waive your no trade clause? If there's an opportunity with the Islanders... ok.

No Psst to Suter speaks volumes.

Here's a guy worth about 8 mil/season when the Wild acquired him and the only reason he got more was because Zach gave up some of the cash that would have gone to him.

Aaaannnd meanwhile... Spurgeon is still the teams best d-man with Suter being way over paid...And his acting is poor on camera when asked about Bruce getting fired... Little to no emotion but there's a twinkle in his eye with that wry smirk.

Pitter-patter Let's get at 'er

• Like 1