Hextall & Fletcher chatting

King Knut

Anyone see this last night?  

Apparently there are legit rumors about Toffoli and Carter.  I'm not really interested in sending Ghost for either one, and if it ain't Ghost, it's JVR (who conveniently had another monster game) otherwise the cap won't work.    Unless... maybe they LTIR Ghost for the year and bring him back for playoffs?

EQsqScNW4AA9YuV.jpeg

Edited by King Knut

Does Hextall have anything to do with the Kings? I don't see him on their management page.

If it's for two more years of Carter, I'd think that's not good news from the Patrick side of the equation. Carter, I suppose, can play wing, but then we run into the logjam at RW (Jake/KNX) and moving a LW (JVR) doesn't really help that. I'm not sure I want to move KNX to the LW given his current success.

JVR makes some sense from LA's perspective. A 30yo with a 30-goal pedigree. I'm just not sure that his $7M offsets the $9.9M enough going the other way.

1 minute ago, radoran said:

Does Hextall have anything to do with the Kings? I don't see him on their management page.

If it's for two more years of Carter, I'd think that's not good news from the Patrick side of the equation. Carter, I suppose, can play wing, but then we run into the logjam at RW (Jake/KNX) and moving a LW (JVR) doesn't really help that. I'm not sure I want to move KNX to the LW given his current success.

JVR makes some sense from LA's perspective. A 30yo with a 30-goal pedigree. I'm just not sure that his $7M offsets the $9.9M enough going the other way.

Was just reading it.

image.png.9bfe51b492af5783794ad03373ff027c.png

SUNRISE, Fla. — Center Nolan Patrick is making very good progress and there’s a chance he will join the Flyers’ practices on a full-time basis as early as Monday, general manager Chuck Fletcher said before Thursday’s game in Florida.

Patrick, 21, who scored 13 goals in each of his first two seasons, skated Thursday in Voorhees. He has missed the entire season because of a migraine disorder.   

“He’s really been ramping up the intensity of his skates,” Fletcher said, “and hopefully on Monday he’ll be part of our group for skating. He’s not cleared for contact yet, but, again, he’s continuing to do more and more on the ice and more and more off the ice. He’s trending the right way.”

Added Fletcher: “Our schedule the next few weeks has us at home more than we’re traveling, so we should have the opportunity to integrate him into our [practice] group.”

From Inquirer

That's some really good news.  Cautious but good news.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, radoran said:

Makes me even more curious about what two more years of Jeff Crater at $5.27M is supposed to accomplish...

:frantics:

I'd do it for JVR and his 4 years. Not that I want Carter...I just want rid of JVR. two is better than four when it comes to contracts you don't want.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, radoran said:

Makes me even more curious about what two more years of Jeff Crater at $5.27M is supposed to accomplish...

Good point

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I'd do it for JVR and his 4 years. Not that I want Carter...I just want rid of JVR. two is better than four when it comes to contracts you don't want.

Better point.   I'd take Carter over JVR if that's an option.  Don't know how that works out though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

maybe they are discussing where to get the best cheese-steak

In Sunrise ?

they're talking cuban sandwiches and cafe' cubano. 

More likely they're talking about which of the 20 Applebees has the best drink special.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Digityman said:

That's some really good news.  Cautious but good news.  

That is good news and I'm glad he's skating. I'd love for him to get through this.  But, and there's always one of those, I wonder how his head is going to feel the first time he gets hit or knocked into the boards multiple times throughout the course of a game.  It's the contact I'm worried about - even if he is cleared for it.

15 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

More likely they're talking about which of the 20 Applebees has the best drink special.

I'll take the Halibut Hurricane....4 oz of rum, 4 oz of coconut encrusted fish blended with ice served in a tall glass. Hell, I'll drink it on a beach in Trinidad Cuba just to stick with your narrative!

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, OH1FlyersFan said:

That is good news and I'm glad he's skating. I'd love for him to get through this.  But, and there's always one of those, I wonder how his head is going to feel the first time he gets hit or knocked into the boards multiple times throughout the course of a game.  It's the contact I'm worried about - even if he is cleared for it.

There are smarter people than us dealing with this.  My guess is they have a good idea what's going to happen.   My thought would be that migraines come from something different then brain trauma.    Meaning, not everyone that has migraines has taken some heavy hits into the boards.   And vice versa.   So hopefully, again I'm not a doctor, maybe the two can be treated as two different things? 

22 minutes ago, Digityman said:

My thought would be that migraines come from something different then brain trauma

My wife works in mental health, she was telling me about training she went to where she learned scalp tension is a factor in causing migranes... In her context the idea is to help the patients to relax.  This is also why piercing the daith (where the ear tissue starts to funnel toward the ear canal) can provide relief.  

Here's the "not good part" even the Mayo clinic is like "welp- they suck" and it could be lot's of things....

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/migraine-headache/symptoms-causes/syc-20360201

so even though those people are most likely smarter than us, there isn't a definitive treatment. 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

so even though those people are most likely smarter than us, there isn't a definitive treatment. 

Definitely agree there isn't one treatment that fits all.   Some people it's muscular related.  I get them when the muscles around my occipital ridge get tight.  It makes my one eye real blurry and causes pain up the right side of my head that won't go away until those muscles relax.   But with the right combination of therapy and sometimes medicine, they can be controlled.  My guess is they have a lot of people working with him right now.   The best of the best that we would never get to see.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Better point.   I'd take Carter over JVR if that's an option.  Don't know how that works out though.

I'm not at all opposed, I just still don't see where Crater fits well.

You're down a LW and adding a C/RW. Move KNX to LW?

Moreover, JVR at 30 is a year removed from a 27 in 66 season, while Crater's 35 and been in decline for several years.

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Moreover, JVR at 30 is a year removed from a 27 in 66 season, while Crater's 35 and been in decline for several years.

I would just rather stand pat instead of doing something like this that reeks of desperation which isn't needed.

Edited by OccamsRazor
Stupid phone
  • Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 1:08 PM, radoran said:

Yes, Hextall is with the Kings again.  

On 2/14/2020 at 1:44 PM, flyercanuck said:

Bingo, and Hextall is notorious for making trades for things down the road (aka taking on 4 years of JVR in exchange for draft picks).  Of course Hextall isn't the GM, but since the Kings are in a similar position to where the Flyers were 6 years ago, they may be more apt to listen to him.

Long story short though this apparently wasn't for Toffoli who just want to Vancouver for jack and squat... er I mean a couple of prospects.  The market for the rental player is clearly way down.  

I'd reiterate, I'm not terribly interested in Carter.  I'd take him if Patrick couldn't go all year or next or whatever, but even so, I don't think there's an exchange that can make the cap room work.  Even if you dropped Bunny (they'd have to) they'd still have to LTIR Ghost.  

Edited by King Knut

On 2/14/2020 at 2:50 PM, radoran said:

Carter fits if Patrick can't go.  That's about it.  You don't have to trade JVR right now either, you would have to LTIR Ghost until I think the playoffs which isn't particularly good unless you plan to use for just fill in duty and hope he doesn't screw up too badly.

All this said, I was far more interested in Toffoli than Carter.  Now that's off the table (for less than I'd expected), I'm guessing this is a moot point.  

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 2:41 PM, mojo1917 said:

My wife works in mental health, she was telling me about training she went to where she learned scalp tension is a factor in causing migranes... In her context the idea is to help the patients to relax.  This is also why piercing the daith (where the ear tissue starts to funnel toward the ear canal) can provide relief.  

Here's the "not good part" even the Mayo clinic is like "welp- they suck" and it could be lot's of things....

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/migraine-headache/symptoms-causes/syc-20360201

There are lots of medicines too, though I'm not sure the NHL allows them.  These are...  spotty at best from what I understand.