Game 59: Flyers at Tampa Bay; 2/15/20 @ 4 PM

Howie58

Greetings:

We may be playing good hockey, but Tampa Bay is on a roll and we are 20-41 over the last 61 on their ice:

https://pickdawgz.com/nhl-picks/2020/02/15/tampa-bay-lightning-vs-philadelphia-flyers-2/15/20-nhl-pick-odds-and-prediction

This is a big test at a time we need every point.  

Edited by Howie58

6 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

We may be playing good hockey, but Tampa Bay is on a roll and we are 20-41 over the last 61 on their ice:

https://pickdawgz.com/nhl-picks/2020/02/15/tampa-bay-lightning-vs-philadelphia-flyers-2/15/20-nhl-pick-odds-and-prediction

This is a big test at a time we need every point.  

This is as good a test as any.

On the road.

Going against a team who is 9-0-1 in their last 10.

Guess we'll see where they are at.

PROJECTED STARTING LINEUPS (subject to change, will be updated)

FLYERS

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 93 Jakub Voracek
49 Joel Farabee - 13 Kevin Hayes - 11 Travis Konecny
25 James van Riemsdyk - 21 Scott Laughton - 18 Tyler Pitlick
12 Michael Raffl - 82 Connor Bunnaman - 62 Nicolas Aube-Kubel

9 Ivan Provorov - 15 Matt Niskanen
6 Travis Sanheim -5 Phil Myers
8 Robert Hägg - 61 Justin Braun

79 Carter Hart
[37 Brian Elliott]

Power Play 1: Giroux, Couturier, Konecny, Voracek, Provorov.
Power Play 2: JVR, Hayes, Farabee, Sanheim, Niskanen.

Scratches: 53 Shayne Gostisbehere (knee).

LTIR: 55 Sam Morin (torn ACL, out for season), 23 Oskar Lindblom (Ewing sarcoma, out for season), 19 Nolan Patrick (migraines).

LIGHTNING
91 Steven Stamkos - 21 Brayden Point - 86 Nikita Kucherov
18 Ondrej Palat - 71 Anthony Cirelli - 17 Alex Killorn
7 Mathieu Joseph - 13 Cedric Paquette - 14 Pat Maroon
23 Carter Verhaeghe - 67 Mitchell Stephens - 37 Yanni Gourde

77 Victor Hedman - 81 Erik Cernak
98 Mikhail Sergachev - 22 Kevin Shattenkirk
55 Braydon Coburn - 2 Luke Schenn

88 Andrei Vasilevskiy
[35 Curtis McElhinney]

Power Play 1: Stamkos, Point, Kucherov, Killorn, Hedman
Power Play 2: Palat, Gourde, Maroon, Sergachev, Shattenkirk

Scratches: 9 Tyler Johnson (undisclosed, game-day decision), 7 Mathieu Joseph (healthy), 33 Cameron Gaunce (healthy).

IR: 27 Ryan McDonagh (lower body), 44 Jan Rutta (lower body).

PHANTOMS UPDATE

The Lehigh Valley Phantoms have won seven of their last eight home games. On Friday night, Scott Gordon's team skated to a 3-2 overtime win over the Bridgeport Sound Tigers.

Mikhail Vorobyev (10th) netted the game-winner in OT. Andy Welinski (6th) scored the only goal of a strong first period for the Phantoms. After goals by Travis St. Denis and Simon Holmström put Bridgeport ahead, 2-1, midway though the third period, Phantoms defenseman Tyler Wotherspoon (4th) answered back 1:50 after the Holmström goal to force OT. Wotherspoon's brother, Parker, assisted on the first Sound Tigers goal.

Kyle Criscuolo assisted on all three Lehigh Valley goals, and had four shots on goal. The Phantoms peppered Christopher Gibson with 43 shots. Alex Lyon (24 saves on 26 shots) earned the win in goal for Lehigh Valley.

On Saturday, the Phantoms (22-23-6) host the Hartford Wolf Pack (28-13-10). The Phantoms expect to have Morgan Frost back in the lineup after the Flyers returned their top forward prospect to the farm team on Friday afternoon.

Yup, TB is 20-1-2 in their last 23 games. 

Also, since January 8th, TB has the most points in the NHL (27).

Philly has the second most (21). We also have the most goals for (52) in that stretch.

Our PP is at 18.8% over that time, and TB is at 5.3%. That's not a typo.

1 hour ago, brelic said:

Yup, TB is 20-1-2 in their last 23 games. 

Also, since January 8th, TB has the most points in the NHL (27).

Philly has the second most (21). We also have the most goals for (52) in that stretch.

Our PP is at 18.8% over that time, and TB is at 5.3%. That's not a typo.

Goliath meet David.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Worked all day can't comment on the game really on the boxscore.

Two words.

Burn pile.

now, i know why the bluejackets wanted to get of voraeck because of his lously work ethic and we paid the price for that and why toronto  let jvr walk and why i hate giroux's contract and as a player because of his lously work ethic. yes he scored a goal late in the period but that didnt matter, where's that effort in the first period and not when we are losing?

it's exactly the reason why are never going to win cup with them because their work ethic is pathetic, they have no fire, they show up when they want to because it's all about a paycheck, im sick of it. they better not be here next year because i cant take another year of these bums not showing up when it matters, that's why we are in the wild card race and we are always going to be there until they go and we get someone that can take this team to a new level.

sorry for the long rant.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

now, i know why the bluejackets wanted to get of voraeck because of his lously work ethic and we paid the price for that and why toronto  let jvr walk and why i hate giroux's contract and as a player because of his lously work ethic. yes he scored a goal late in the period but that didnt matter, where's that effort in the first period and not when we are losing?

it's exactly the reason why are never going to win cup with them because their work ethic is pathetic, they have no fire, they show up when they want to because it's all about a paycheck, im sick of it. they better not be here next year because i cant take another year of these bums not showing up when it matters, that's why we are in the wild card race and we are always going to be there until they go and we get someone that can take this team to a new level.

sorry for the long rant.

It's all good I get your frustration.

I'm going to forget this game happened.

And i wish i had a dollar form everytime i have lobbied for them to go this season myself.

On to the next game.

I watched the bookend periods.  Carter's first goal was not so hot.  He has some work to do.

Watching made me reflect on the '03-'04 ECF.  I had images of Sami Kapanen struggling to the bench...Keith Primeau carrying the team on his shoulders.  Strange. 

TB is very, very talented.  Vasilevskiy is impressive.  We tried hard but couldn't catch them in the end.  Shades of '03-'04. Sorry if I date myself.

• Like 1

The flyers played start to finish. Hart is still a problem. His road performances are abysmal. He screwed the pooch in the one. Immaturity is what I suspect

The other thing I noticed, and FRIGGUN HATE, the Flyers can't match the physical play of a team like this. They got bullied and pushed around all night. They simply cant match up. If they dint come up with an answer for that, they will never advance

7 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I don't know that this game was an example of work ethic.

This was the 4th game in 6 nights on the road against the best team in the league and who just won their tenth in a row.

I mean, they came back and made it a 4-3 game against that team, were flat out stoned repeatedly by a goalie with a point in 19 or 20 straight games.   The "lack of effort" routine is a getting a little old.    It just wasn't the case here.  Yeah, they were outplayed in the first period.but they outplayed Tampa the rest of the game--the team described above--and held them to a whopping 24 shots.

It's a long season; sometimes you lose.

All of this.   Sure the Flyers didn't play their best game but Tampa is the best team in the league and what the Flyers strive to be one day when they grow up. 

It wasnt lack of effort or slow starts or whatever.  The better team won that's it.   Flyers need to focus on the next 4.   They list the game they should have.   Moving on.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Carter's first goal was not so hot. 

But that came off a lucky deflection off Ivan's skate from Killorn who was making a pass out front, which Hart was turning to play and no way he could have or anyone had a chance to play that after the pass out front went back to Killorn for the bang bang play.

Unlucky goal.

• Like 2

Well one thing is certain two huge games are coming up has the potential to be a 4 point swing one way or the other vs Blue Jakckets in Philly Tuesday and then in Columbis on Thursday.

Would love love love did I mention love to win both of these in regulation.

It could be huge.

But first things first concentrate on resting and coming out tuesday ready to defend home ice.

Let's go Flyers!!!!

12 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well one thing is certain two huge games are coming up has the potential to be a 4 point swing one way or the other vs Blue Jakckets in Philly Tuesday and then in Columbis on Thursday.

Would love love love did I mention love to win both of these in regulation.

It could be huge.

But first things first concentrate on resting and coming out tuesday ready to defend home ice.

Let's go Flyers!!!!

With Jones and Atkinson out (and Wennberg since we're listing) and the potential of Korpisalo coming back and making things awkward in net,  there may not be a better time to catch the Jackets.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I don't know that this game was an example of work ethic.

This was the 4th game in 6 nights on the road against the best team in the league and who just won their tenth in a row.

I mean, they came back and made it a 4-3 game against that team, were flat out stoned repeatedly by a goalie with a point in 19 or 20 straight games.   The "lack of effort" routine is a getting a little old.    It just wasn't the case here.  Yeah, they were outplayed in the first period.but they outplayed Tampa the rest of the game--the team described above--and held them to a whopping 24 shots.

I wouldn’t call it a  total work ethic problem either, it might be a combination of things but we certainly need to start our game better ,we can’t keep getting down by two or three goals right away, we do this far too often . It was a good effort in coming back but we should never put ourselves in that situation to begin with. We have beaten some good teams this year but I wonder if we have enough to beat any of the top teams in a physical and mentally exhausting  7 game playoff series . 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

We have beaten some good teams this year but I wonder if we have enough to beat any of the top teams in a physical and mentally exhausting  7 game playoff series .

I don't think we do, particularly depending upon how physical it gets.  And it's the playoffs, so it will definitely be physical (especially the intra-divisional games).  If we don't have home ice advantage--and I would doubt we would--we'll be in trouble in a 7 game series.  The realistic hope for this year is probably simply extending the first round as long as possible to give the kids some experience.  And maybe just get lucky in the process.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Good Post 1

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I don't think we do, particularly depending upon how physical it gets.  And it's the playoffs, so it will definitely be physical (especially the intra-divisional games).  If we don't have home ice advantage--and I would doubt we would--we'll be in trouble in a 7 game series.  The realistic hope for this year is probably simply extending the first round as long as possible to give the kids some experience.  And maybe just get lucky in the process.

It certainly won't alleviate any pressure without a lethal power play to make the opposition pay for its mistakes.

No way they survive scoring two power play goals in a 7 game series.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

It certainly won't alleviate any pressure without a lethal power play to make the opposition pay for its mistakes.

No way they survive scoring two power play goals in a 7 game series.

I dont think so either,  thats why we shouldn't make any deals at the deadline for a rental or a bottom 6 guy. If there is a deal that helps the team going forward then you do it. If  we improve our top 6 by adding a skilled player, then it also improves the bottom 6 because someone from the  top 6 moves down. We have a bunch of prospects and good young players , plus our vets. Its time to take the pieces and build the puzzle.

Take stock of the team and prospects, determine what the  most important missing pieces are and put some plan together.  Using all means available,  FA, trades, etc make some moves and improve the areas of this team that are most needed.  We have all these pieces, but where do they fit in the big picture?  Its time to decide what to do with some of these guys like Rubstov,  Varobyev, etc . Everyone is not part of the plan , so we need to use the excess to help build up the weak areas.

• Good Post 1

On 2/15/2020 at 10:21 PM, ruxpin said:

The "lack of effort" routine is a getting a little old.    It just wasn't the case here.  Yeah, they were outplayed in the first period.but they outplayed Tampa the rest of the game--the team described above--and held them to a whopping 24 shots.

Agree!

The Flyers weren't outclassed at any point in that game.

The ice was never really tilted to Carter Hart.  He needed to be better. Goaltending cost the team that game. 

They were behind on the score sheet but had the same amount of chances and only a few less shots than Tampa.  Tampa was able to get some luck, the ****** Killorn goal (i hate that ****** guy) and then they converted on their other two good chances. The Flyers shots were stopped.

If one watched that game they wouldn't be talking about "effort" and not being ready. 

The Flyers are a notch below that team in terms of talent but the gap isn't far and as our young guys continue to develop it might be minimal soon. 

My hope is they can step on CBJs throat this week, that team is there to be had. Time for this group to do it. 

Edited by mojo1917
hate killorn so much i can't spell his name-douche
  • Like 3