Rumor is Muzzin is signed

hobie

Due to the CBA TO won't be able to acknowledge that Muzzin has been signed until March , the rumor is that he's signed for 4 years at $5.5 mil. per year.

After 49 games this year Muzzin has 17 points, for the last 5 years Muzzin has had 40ish points, I take this as a sign of decline, he's going to be lucky to post 25 points. His physicality isn't as noticeable so what I think makes him a superior d-man isn't as prominent this year and now TO is going to sign him for 4 more years. I'm thinking TO might be signing a far more expensive version of Hainsey.

Many think that the reason TO isn't doing well this year is because TO overpaid the big 4 but is that really true. I think TO isn't doing as well as it might, is because too much bad money is tied up in too many bad players. I couldn't understand why TO is paying Kappy and Johnsson over 3 mil. per based on 1 year's production. What's even worse is that those 2 couldn't help TO during the stretch run last year, the bulk of their production came early when all players pad their stats. Those 2 paired with Kerfoot make for a very meh 3rd line and that 3rd line plays against other team's 3rd lines, the opposition's 3rd lines a far cheaper than TO's. Kerfoot also got 3+ mil. but at least he has a 2 year history of scoring 40 points and he had a reputation of being defensively responsible, not sue of that tho. 

Anyway TO's future depends on value so I hope Dubie has a better grasp of what represents value for TO than what I feel I'm seeing.

On 2/18/2020 at 12:19 AM, hobie said:

After 49 games this year Muzzin has 17 points, for the last 5 years Muzzin has had 40ish points, I take this as a sign of decline, he's going to be lucky to post 25 points. His physicality isn't as noticeable so what I think makes him a superior d-man isn't as prominent this year and now TO is going to sign him for 4 more years. I'm thinking TO might be signing a far more expensive version of Hainsey.

What ever happened to 1-year and 2-year contracts?  I mean seriously.  

Muzzin has been alright, but there's that $5.5 mil/yr figure creeping up there into dangerous cap territory. 

Many think that the reason TO isn't doing well this year is because TO overpaid the big 4 but is that really true.

All three of Matthews, Marner, and Tavares are being paid more than what they're worth. When you consider the track record, they are being paid as though they are the three best overall players in the NHL. Connor McDavid, Sidney Crosby, and others would say otherwise. Look at this:

pay.thumb.png.f63c79bff5a1be942f864d241f890bf7.png

I get that we have salary inflation but still....   😮

If you put AM down to $9M/yr, Marner down to $8M/yr, and Tavares down to $7M/yr, those are the right numbers in my opinion.

At $11M/yr it's obscene. 

I think TO isn't doing as well as it might, is because too much bad money is tied up in too many bad players.

I think it's both. They overpaid for the top guys AND they're overpaying for depth guys. In general, they have overpaid a lot of players on this team (which is why they're 20 points behind Boston and Tampa and currently at the cap ceiling).  :(