Wild vs. Canucks 2/19/20 @ 9:30PM CST at Rogers Arena

CreaseAndAssist

2 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

Um, Kahkonen simply rejects the offer?

He is a restricted free agent with arbitration rights. Kahkonen can't just reject the Wild's offer and suddenly become a UFA.

If he doesn't like the Wild's offer, he can request arbitration. A hearing will be scheduled. And the Wild and Kahkonen can negotiate right up to the hearing. The arbitrator decides between either the Wild's offer or what Kahkonen wants. Then he will award either a one or two year contract (not sure what the mechanism is for that). Usually it's a one year deal.

Then the Wild have, I think, 10 days to accept or walk away from the arbitrators award. If they accept it, then they pay Kahkonen what ever the arbitrator ruled. If they walk away from the award, Kahkonen becomes a UFA, free to negotiate with any of the other 30 teams.

Usually teams and players don't like to go through arbitration, because it can get really nasty and personal.

8 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

He is a restricted free agent with arbitration rights. Kahkonen can't just reject the Wild's offer and suddenly become a UFA.

If he doesn't like the Wild's offer, he can request arbitration. A hearing will be scheduled. And the Wild and Kahkonen can negotiate right up to the hearing. The arbitrator decides between either the Wild's offer or what Kahkonen wants. Then he will award either a one or two year contract (not sure what the mechanism is for that). Usually it's a one year deal.

Then the Wild have, I think, 10 days to accept or walk away from the arbitrators award. If they accept it, then they pay Kahkonen what ever the arbitrator ruled. If they walk away from the award, Kahkonen becomes a UFA, free to negotiate with any of the other 30 teams.

Usually teams and players don't like to go through arbitration, because it can get really nasty and personal.

Actually I didn't have arbitration in mind. I thought they created more leverage for the RFA players, not to get low-balled by the teams in these situations. Found this from nhl.com:

The deadline for teams to send their RFAs qualifying offers is the day following the NHL draft (June 29). On that same date, RFAs can begin contract talks with rival teams. A qualifying offer is needed to retain negotiating rights to that player if they are given an offer sheet from a rival club.

• Player does not have to take amount offered in a qualifying offer. After the offer is made they can reject it and remain an RFA, while negotiating for another amount
  • If an offer sheet from a rival club is signed by an RFA, the team that owns their rights has seven days to match the offer
  • If a RFA is signed away via offer sheet from a rival club, the team that player was signed away from receives draft picks in compensation

So Kahkonen declines Guerin's offer, negotiates with other teams, signs with them and the Wild get compensatory picks? Rare occurrence yes, but the way he's been playing as of late he and his agent must feel pretty confident teams might offer him something. I listed a few teams who are desperate to find a quality netminder for next season.

1 hour ago, ClusterChuck said:

Isn't what Illa said (That you put in bold) all the Wild need to do to...And keep him from doing so?

I don't think it goes like that... though I'm not sure since I now found this:

At any point during the negotiation process, if the player has been in the NHL for longer than 4 years (less if the player signed his first contract after the age of 20), either the player or his current team may file for salary arbitration as a means of settling a contract dispute. At this point the player may no longer sign an offer sheet.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

Actually I didn't have arbitration in mind. I thought they created more leverage for the RFA players, not to get low-balled by the teams in these situations. Found this from nhl.com:

The deadline for teams to send their RFAs qualifying offers is the day following the NHL draft (June 29). On that same date, RFAs can begin contract talks with rival teams. A qualifying offer is needed to retain negotiating rights to that player if they are given an offer sheet from a rival club.

• Player does not have to take amount offered in a qualifying offer. After the offer is made they can reject it and remain an RFA, while negotiating for another amount
  • If an offer sheet from a rival club is signed by an RFA, the team that owns their rights has seven days to match the offer
  • If a RFA is signed away via offer sheet from a rival club, the team that player was signed away from receives draft picks in compensation

So Kahkonen declines Guerin's offer, negotiates with other teams, signs with them and the Wild get compensatory picks? Rare occurrence yes, but the way he's been playing as of late he and his agent must feel pretty confident teams might offer him something. I listed a few teams who are desperate to find a quality netminder for next season.

There are rare occasions where offer sheets are submitted. Look at Sebastian Aho last season. The Habs made an offer sheet of $42.7M/5 years. Here's what the draft pic compensation would have been:

$1,395,053 or below: None

$1,395,054-$2,113,716:  3rd

$2,113,717-$4,227,437: 2nd

$4,227,438-$6,341,152: 1st, 3rd

$6,341,153-$8,454,871: 1st, 2nd, 3rd

$8,454,872-$10,568,589: 2-1sts, 2nd, 3rd

Over $10,568,590+: 4 1sts

And these picks have to be the offering teams picks in that season, with the exception of the multiple firsts. 

I guess it depends on how confident these teams are that Kahkonen is a stud NHL goaltender and not just a great AHL goaltender...

18 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

There are rare occasions where offer sheets are submitted. Look at Sebastian Aho last season. The Habs made an offer sheet of $42.7M/5 years. Here's what the draft pic compensation would have been:

$1,395,053 or below: None

$1,395,054-$2,113,716:  3rd

$2,113,717-$4,227,437: 2nd

$4,227,438-$6,341,152: 1st, 3rd

$6,341,153-$8,454,871: 1st, 2nd, 3rd

$8,454,872-$10,568,589: 2-1sts, 2nd, 3rd

Over $10,568,590+: 4 1sts

And these picks have to be the offering teams picks in that season, with the exception of the multiple firsts. 

I guess it depends on how confident these teams are that Kahkonen is a stud NHL goaltender and not just a great AHL goaltender...

Unfortunately the Wild wouldn't get as many picks...

Maybe. Or maybe some teams believe they will get as good goaltending from Kahkonen as their getting now... with a loss less money. The Devils won't want to pay Schneider $6 mil. a year for the next two seasons, nor the Wings re-signing Howard, the Kings want to carry on with Quick for three more seasons, $5.8 each? No. Martin Jones has underperformed for two seasons now with a heavy salary, the Flyers don't have a #2 goalie...

And if his current level of play just continues, I don't see how he could settle for a third season in the minors when he's already had a couple of games with the big boys. Not if he's ambitious and not a sheep.