If we make a trade it better be for a top 6 player

RonJeremy

If we make a trade, we should not waste any prospects or assets on a bottom 6 player. We need an impact player who can score some goals and help the PP.  A bottom 6 player is not gonna suddenly propel us into top contenders. I would rather add a high end player and move Jake to the third line and if Patrick comes back, we have a really strong third line. I hope Fletcher doesn’t make a boneheaded move just because Pittsburgh and some other teams in our division did. If there is not an impact deal to be made, then save the assets for a big deal at the draft. We don’t need an underachiever like Grandlund, I would rather trade for a good young player who hasn’t hit his potential yet , a guy like Kapanen or a proven scorer like Max Domi. 

2 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

If we make a trade, we should not waste any prospects or assets on a bottom 6 player.

I can say fully with out see the price tag but i think the need a center for the bottom 6 to help solidify the depth.

I honestly don't see them moving a JVR or Voracek before the trade deadline. I just don't.

Those are hard trades to pull off especially with the length of their contracts.

But i have been wrong before.

Teams with a lot of cap space who could take on those types of contracts:

Devils 31 mill

Kings 27 mill

Avs 25 mill

Sens 24 mill

Blue Jackets 23 mill

Canadians 23 mill

Jets 18 mill

Isles 17 mill

Ducks 14 mill

Blackhawks 13 mill

So good luck finding some takers and some of the ones listed are rivals....do you want to help those clubs??

I guess you can move Jake and JVR to some of those teams but would they be helping in their rebuilds at their ages???

The only kind of trade we can make now would be a guy like Kapenan for Ghost or Domi for Ghost and picks/prospect . To land a big contract guy we would have to dump one of our big contracts ,which as you said, probably can’t happen until the offseason. Domi would be a great second line center and Hayes could be third line. If Patrick comes back he can be third line right wing. That move solidifies the second and third line, especially if Patrick comes back.

6 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Maybe we give a pick to a team with cap space to take JVR for a year and then they can leave him open for the expansion draft. I’m sure we can do that 

Ok, that could actually work. I stand corrected once again.

14 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Lol @ any GM who sets out to rebuild that way. 

I haven't looked real good maybe they can find a team who needs to get to the floor...he has a locked in contract so there is a small small chance.

3 more years at 7 mill per isn't the end of the world for a former 30 goal scorer i guess. He is on pace for 25 this year.

Any way the only positive spin i can put on it worst case they are stuck with him.

With the playoffs looming, I dont see the Flyers trading a regular player. Like it or not, JVR and Jake are here for the duration. AV has even said he likes the team as is. Defense and prospects are our only bargaining chip. Fortunately we have both.  Recent injuries for other team have hopefully made our trade assets more desirable. 

I think a move is coming, and for a significant player. I would imagine Ghost and a prospect will go the other way. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Maybe we give a pick to a team with cap space to take JVR for a year and then they can leave him open for the expansion draft. I’m sure we can do that 

Hey team have taken on Horton and Clarkson like contracts to get to the floor so why not take a chance on a guy who can actually play and maybe add 25-30 goals to your team??? Maybe someone say ah f**k it and pulls the trigger...

1 minute ago, CoachX said:

With the playoffs looming, I dont see the Flyers trading a regular player. Like it or not, JVR and Jake are here for the duration. AV has even said he likes the team as is. Defense and prospects are our only bargaining chip. Fortunately we have both.  Recent injuries for other team have hopefully made our trade assets more desirable. 

I think a move is coming, and for a significant player. I would imagine Ghost and a prospect will go the other way. 

I agree i can see them riding them out fingers crossed if you can get a healthy Ghost and Patrick back that in itself would be like a huge trade deadline deal addition...sure big IFs but they are there.

• Like 1

The rumour with the most smoke is Jeff Carter with salary retention. On top of that, if Carter retires before the end of his contract, the Kings and Preds get cap recapture penalties, and the Flyers would get a negative cap hit (i.e. bonus cap space).

If he retires after this season, Flyers would get an extra $600k in negative cap space per year, and if he retires after next season, Flyers would get $3M in negative cap space IIRC.

The cost I saw was Ratcliffe and a 2nd.

The other rumour that makes sense is Eric Staal, especially because of the Minnesota connection. The difference is that he has an NMC.

Either one of those guys would be upgrades to our bottom 6, and Carter could even split C duties with Frost. I think he'd be a great linemate and mentor for Frost, actually.

20 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I agree i can see them riding them out fingers crossed if you can get a healthy Ghost and Patrick back that in itself would be like a huge trade deadline deal addition...sure big IFs but they are there.

I think The Flyers organization, and some fans, overvalue both. I haven't seen Patrick off of the DL long enough to be able to make a determination of how good he really is. If we don't try to deal one of them now, what happens? We're stuck with bloated contracts for players doing the same things, Patrick taking up salary cap space while only playing 40 games a year due to injuries (if that many), and Ghost still unable to progress from turning the puck over 7 times a game, and being caught out of position defensively. This Flyers organization has an ego and loyalty issue at times. They need to learn when to move on.

• Like 1

i seriously hope those arent the moves. 2 aging players with contract implications. I could see it if you were a player away, but that isnt the case. Trading for either of those is like financing a cell phone. By the time its paid off, you no longer have the asset and it wasn't worth the money. Plus you are giving away a potential future asset for a rental  to get where, round 2 at best?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoachX said:

i seriously hope those arent the moves. 2 aging players with contract implications. I could see it if you were a player away, but that isnt the case. Trading for either of those is like financing a cell phone. By the time its paid off, you no longer have the asset and it wasn't worth the money. Plus you are giving away a potential future asset for a rental  to get where, round 2 at best?

If they trade for Carter, it tells me once again that this organization is run incompetently. They have no plan, they want butts in the seats, and for everyone to dust off their old Carter jerseys and it's that simple....if that's one of the moves you're referring to. I think he's going to come in here and be another JVR. This is what I mean when I say this organization brings in retreads because the fans go to games, so they have no plan except to "trust the process" and bring in retreads. Why have scouts?

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Maybe theres a team thats not at the cap minimum and they would do that deal. There are teams that took injured players contracts  and knowing they might only have to carry his contract for a year is not a bad move.

2 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

If they trade for Carter, it tells me once again that this organization is run incompetently. They have no plan, they want butts in the seats, and for everyone to dust off their old Carter jerseys and it's that simple....if that's one of the moves you're referring to. I think he's going to come in here and be another JVR. This is what I mean when I say this organization brings in retreads because the fans go to games, so they have no plan except to "trust the process" and bring in retreads. Why have scouts?

I hope we do not make that dumb move, we need a scorer for the future not a fading player from the past. If your gonna tie up big $$, why not do it for a young guy.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Funny you say this, and very coincidental to me. Earlier i was talking Eagles football with a co worker. He's not from Philly but has been and Eagle fan forever. He was arguing how he would like to see Desean Jackson given another year with the birds and how much he missed LeSean Mccoy.  He went on about past players when the team was legit, even wanting Nick Foles over Carson Wentz

I know its a football story, but its illustrates your point of how Philly franchises can easily play to the emotions of a fan base in order to make money

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

The only kind of trade we can make now would be a guy like Kapenan for Ghost or Domi for Ghost and picks/prospect . To land a big contract guy we would have to dump one of our big contracts ,which as you said, probably can’t happen until the offseason. Domi would be a great second line center and Hayes could be third line. If Patrick comes back he can be third line right wing. That move solidifies the second and third line, especially if Patrick comes back.

Ghost isn't going to fetch a player the calibre of Kasperi Kapanen -- at least I sure as hell hope not!  :( 

If you want Kapanen, you part with Myers. If you want Nylander, you part with Myers AND your first round draft pick (without any conditions on it) but more than likely we'd just grab Sanheim or Provorov. That's if I were GM anyway.  

Edited by WordsOfWisdom

Just now, WordsOfWisdom said:

Ghost isn't going to fetch a player the calibre of Kasperi Kapanen -- at least I sure as hell hope not!  :( 

If you want Kapanen, you part with Myers. If you want Nylander, you part with Myers AND your first round draft pick (without any conditions on it). That's if I were GM anyway.  

Ghosts  value is diminished due to injuries and poor play, but he is a proven offensive force.  He could be deadly on the PP with guys like Taveras, Marner, Matthews, etc . With talent like that Ghost would have  a field day on the PP after being on the Flyers inept PP, the precision offensive skill and passing ability of these guys would certainly be a huge step up from the Flyers predictable,.telegraphed passes and lack of creativity . I think Ghost would be a huge asset to Toronto.

The Flyers might have to throw in something else, with Ghost,.but its not like hes old and washed up, if he were having a good season the Leafs would probably have to give us Kapenan plus, for Ghost, but a straight up trade is pretty fair. Meyers and Sanheim will not be traded at all.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Ghosts  value is diminished due to injuries and poor play, but he is a proven offensive force.  He could be deadly on the PP with guys like Taveras, Marner, Matthews, etc . With talent like that Ghost would have  a field day on the PP after being on the Flyers inept PP, the precision offensive skill and passing ability of these guys would certainly be a huge step up from the Flyers predictable,.telegraphed passes and lack of creativity . I think Ghost would be a huge asset to Toronto.

The Flyers might have to throw in something else, with Ghost,.but its not like hes old and washed up, if he were having a good season the Leafs would probably have to give us Kapenan plus, for Ghost, but a straight up trade is pretty fair. Meyers and Sanheim will not be traded at all.

I don't disagree. Toronto would be good for Ghost.... except that we already have Morgan Rielly and Tyson Barrie. Ghost's value to Toronto (assuming he bounced back and became his old self) would not add much to a team that is already loaded with offence. It would just make Rielly or Barrie expendable. Someone would have to be let go to bring him in, plus he doesn't address Toronto's needs. 

What if Toronto's GM came to you and said "Mitch Marner is available for trade, are you interested?"  At that point, I'm guessing anything goes in terms of defencemen? (There wouldn't be anyone you wouldn't trade to get Marner I'm assuming.)  :)