If we make a trade it better be for a top 6 player

RonJeremy

1 minute ago, CoachX said:

I just don't see Philly and Toronto making a deal. And I don't see Marner being traded

If it were up to me, I'd keep Marner. He's "Adam Oates" for the Leafs, and yeah he's that good.  Unless someone said to me "hey Victor Hedman is available..." I don't move Marner for anyone.   :) 

12 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

What if Toronto's GM came to you and said "Mitch Marner is available for trade, are you interested?"  At that point, I'm guessing anything goes in terms of defencemen? (There wouldn't be anyone you wouldn't trade to get Marner I'm assuming.)  :) 

Sure.  I'd do Sanheim + mid-range prospect for Marner, no problem.  

Hell Hagg is available too  :)  

Just not sure either of those get it done.

Edited by Digityman
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I don't disagree. Toronto would be good for Ghost.... except that we already have Morgan Rielly and Tyson Barrie. Ghost's value to Toronto (assuming he bounced back and became his old self) would not add much to a team that is already loaded with offence. It would just make Rielly or Barrie expendable. Someone would have to be let go to bring him in, plus he doesn't address Toronto's needs. 

What if Toronto's GM came to you and said "Mitch Marner is available for trade, are you interested?"  At that point, I'm guessing anything goes in terms of defencemen? (There wouldn't be anyone you wouldn't trade to get Marner I'm assuming.)  :) 

Yes Im sure,  since we do not have a young offensive superstar,  if that were the case, then Meyers or Sanheim would be part of the package deal to get Marner. Other than Provorov,  I dont think any Flyer would be off limits,. Of course we would have to dump one big contract at least, to pay Marner and Coots is coming up for a big contract soon ,so thats two big contracts  we would need to dump. We would also have to weigh the cost of depleting our team in order to go after Marner and with Patrick and Lindblom already as big question marks, we might not be able to trade anyway,.we would need our young guys to replace them.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I want TK, Coots, and Hart on that off limit list, please and thanks.

Yes,  I agree, I dont see us trading Hart or Coots ,Provy ,and TK is captain material. I was thinking more along the lines of guys like Frost or Farabee with Meyers and a pick. Still not sure I do it with Lindblom and Patrick being big ?? We would deplete our depth .

8 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Yes,  I agree, I dont see us trading Hart or Coots ,Provy ,and TK is captain material. I was thinking more along the lines of guys like Frost or Farabee with Meyers and a pick. Still not sure I do it with Lindblom and Patrick being big ?? We would deplete our depth .

Ok, yeah understood

9 hours ago, Soupy2Cans said:

Adding a solid defense would be welcome. How about cam fowler vlasic or ekblad

None of these are realistic possibilities.

Fowler - he's signed for another 6 years after this, and the Ducks have been pretty happy with him, but that would be ignoring the biggest obstacle: he has a No-Movement Clause, and would have to offer up a list of only 4 cities where he's willing to be traded.

Vlasic - you don't want to get him now. He has a lot of miles on him, is definitely entering the decline phase of his career, and is still signed to a $7M deal for the next 6 years. That would be a hard pass for me.

Ekblad - why would the Panthers be even 1% motivated to move him?

10 hours ago, Soupy2Cans said:

Adding a solid defense would be welcome. How about cam fowler vlasic or ekblad

I don't think this is necessary (or possible, read JR's response).

Believe it or not, the Flyers give up the least number of shots per game -- 28.6

The next best isn't actually close-- 29.4

That sounds close, but it's a 0.8 S/pg difference.

There are seven teams between 29.4 and 30.2 (the next 0.8 difference).

Now, that metric obviously isn't the beat all end all.   It doesn't measure quality shots or shots stemming from odd-man rushes, etc.   But it's a good starting place.   I don't go bringing in a someone with a long contract.  It just isn't necessary.

On 2/20/2020 at 12:07 PM, RonJeremy said:

If we make a trade, we should not waste any prospects or assets on a bottom 6 player. We need an impact player who can score some goals and help the PP.  A bottom 6 player is not gonna suddenly propel us into top contenders. I would rather add a high end player and move Jake to the third line and if Patrick comes back, we have a really strong third line. I hope Fletcher doesn’t make a boneheaded move just because Pittsburgh and some other teams in our division did. If there is not an impact deal to be made, then save the assets for a big deal at the draft. We don’t need an underachiever like Grandlund, I would rather trade for a good young player who hasn’t hit his potential yet , a guy like Kapanen or a proven scorer like Max Domi. 

Montreal has absolutely no reason to want to give up Domi.  Kapanen I could see more possibly in the off season.    

6 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

None of these are realistic possibilities.

Fowler - he's signed for another 6 years after this, and the Ducks have been pretty happy with him, but that would be ignoring the biggest obstacle: he has a No-Movement Clause, and would have to offer up a list of only 4 cities where he's willing to be traded.

Vlasic - you don't want to get him now. He has a lot of miles on him, is definitely entering the decline phase of his career, and is still signed to a $7M deal for the next 6 years. That would be a hard pass for me.

Ekblad - why would the Panthers be even 1% motivated to move him?

Also, our defense is pretty darn good.  have the lowest Shots against per game and are top third of the league in goals against per game.  

What's more, it's only getting better as Myers, Sanheim and even Hagg improve before our eyes.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

If it were up to me, I'd keep Marner. He's "Adam Oates" for the Leafs, and yeah he's that good.  Unless someone said to me "hey Victor Hedman is available..." I don't move Marner for anyone.   :) 

Toronto's not moving Marner.  There's no reason.  I could see Philly and TO making a deal in the off season, but certainly not at the deadline.  They may both be above Wild Card spots right now, but that could change on a moment's notice and then they're in direct competition again.  There's no way either one is helping out the other.

4 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Also, our defense is pretty darn good.  have the lowest Shots against per game and are top third of the league in goals against per game.  

What's more, it's only getting better as Myers, Sanheim and even Hagg improve before our eyes.  

Yeah, I really don't think the big issue for the Flyers is defense. Don't get me wrong; having a guy like Aaron Ekblad would be magnificent, but the team has bigger fish to fry.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, King Knut said:

Montreal has absolutely no reason to want to give up Domi.  Kapanen I could see more possibly in the off season.    

It’s already been written in several articles that Montreal is considering trading Domi and they are concerned they will not be able to reach a new contract agreement with him , as he is  RFA next year . They also have Kotkeimi, Suzuki, Poehling  Evans and Danault, they are stocked with young centers. so they are willing to trade him to shore up another area. Not saying they will give him away but there’s a rumor of Domi to Toronto for Kapanen , plus.. I think Toronto would love to have him, but they need to use their assets for defense. I think Domi is exactly the type of player that would help the Flyers. 

35 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

It’s already been written in several articles that Montreal is considering trading Domi and they are concerned they will not be able to reach a new contract agreement with him , as he is  RFA next year . They also have Kotkeimi, Suzuki, Poehling  Evans and Danault, they are stocked with young centers. so they are willing to trade him to shore up another area. Not saying they will give him away but there’s a rumor of Domi to Toronto for Kapanen , plus.. I think Toronto would love to have him, but they need to use their assets for defense. I think Domi is exactly the type of player that would help the Flyers. 

Ghost for Domi, straight up? Would Montreal do that? Weber isn't getting any younger, so I feel like they would.

12 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Ghost for Domi, straight up? Would Montreal do that? Weber isn't getting any younger, so I feel like they would.

I wish they would. The Ghost of a few years ago would be a fair trade, but Ghost ‘s value is diminished now. So at this point we might have to throw in something else.

• Like 2