Deadline moves 2-21-20

yave1964

So far today.....

Tis just a warm bodyhe Wings claimed Cody Golobouf on waivers from the Senators. A boring, plodding slow defesneman who is just a warm body and placeholder for the remainder of the year, along with the recall of retread Lashoff means that Green and or Daley and possibly Biega are gone in the next day or two. 

Poor Columbus. Their massive run of injuries has claimed Bjorgstrand who has been all they have left who is still scoring for the next two months. Stick the fork in. They are done. 

That is it so far, other than rumors that the Coyotes may be looking to move Taylor Hall and write the season off recouping what they can for him instead of losing him as an UFA at years end. 

Kind of a curious move, the Knights just traded cody Eakin to the Jets for a 4th that could turn into a third. Eakin is an UFA at years end and will step into the middle six center role the Jets are desperate to fill with Little being shut down for the year. 

The Jets eat the balance of the salary so it frees up money for the Knights to make another move. What is curious is the Knights have a slim lead in their division but the West is razor thin, it is possible this move gets the Jets in and the Knights out. I understand trading Eakin, it makes sense but I would hae thought he would have been dealt to the East.

13 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Kind of a curious move, the Knights just traded cody Eakin to the Jets for a 4th that could turn into a third. Eakin is an UFA at years end and will step into the middle six center role the Jets are desperate to fill with Little being shut down for the year. 

The Jets eat the balance of the salary so it frees up money for the Knights to make another move. What is curious is the Knights have a slim lead in their division but the West is razor thin, it is possible this move gets the Jets in and the Knights out. I understand trading Eakin, it makes sense but I would hae thought he would have been dealt to the East.

Yeah, this deal makes zero sense by itself, but gotta think Vegas now sits with over $4M in cap space.  So they intend on a second move. Right? 

Otherwise, trading directly to your competition here and not getting a body back makes no sense to me. 

• Like 1

RUMOR: RANGERS GOALIE HENRIK LUNDQVIST DEMANDS TRADE

I have a question:  why would you want him.  A great goalie whose time has come. 

According to sources connected to the Rangers, Henrik Lundqvist has let it be known to management he prefers a trade and a opportunity to play. The New York Rangers are trying to move veteran goaltender Henrik Lundqvist as rookie sensation Igor Shesterkin has arrived on the scene and taken over the helm. The Rangers have discussed Lundqvist with several teams and so far no takers.

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2020/02/rumor-rangers-goalie-henrik-lundqvist.html

• Like 1

I honestly think a few teams would like to have Lundqvist, but he wants to start...AND he wants to play for a contender....who really fits t hat bill?

He can certainly start in NJ, but they aren't going anywhere, same with Detroit, Buffalo, Los Angeles, and San Jose.

Everyone else has a legit starter, or at the very least, a young goalie they are comfortable starting, so that just leaves one real possibility:
Colorado, who seem to have lost Grubauer for an uspecified amount of time, and they are currently going with the lethal tandem of Francouz and Miska....

I am sure the Avs can move out a body to make room for King  Henrik's 8.5M cap hit...OR, perhaps the Rangers would have to retain some salary in order for Colorado to be able to take him....the Avs currently have around 6M in cap space.

Either way, I thought it was foolhardy for Lundqvist to want to stay in NY when ownership TOLD everyone they were doing a rebuild.
I know he wanted to win there, but given his age, who the Rangers had in their system, and the timetable for a NYR turnaround, the writing HAD to be on the wall that he would be phased out sooner than later.

Now finding him a home elsewhere may prove tricky, unless he is content with just being traded ANYWHERE he can play (a few non contenders mentioned), but to go somewhere to "win", tough sledding unless Colorado and NY can swing a deal.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I honestly think a few teams would like to have Lundqvist, but he wants to start...AND he wants to play for a contender....who really fits t hat bill?

He may want to start, but he'll take whatever is offered to him or he won't be playing. 

I can see a team grabbing him as a backup for the playoffs... assuming his contract isn't an albatross. If the worst happens and your starter goes down with an injury, he would be the most experienced backup goalie you could ever get. :) 

19 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

He can certainly start in NJ, but they aren't going anywhere, same with Detroit, Buffalo, Los Angeles, and San Jose.

I don't think Jersey over Blackwood.  That would be foolishness for NJ.     But certainly Detroit and San Jose.   It's a wash in LA.   Maybe Buffalo with Linus out but not when he's back and not with the kid coming soon.  

You're right, there's not a lot of options as a starter.  And even if NYR absorb $2M in salary/cap, it's still a difficult cap hit for most contenders to swallow.

And honestly, at this point in his career, if he goes to a contender to be the starter, that team is no longer a contender.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

After last night, Carolina. They reportedly already called Chicago about Lehner.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

After last night, Carolina. They reportedly already called Chicago about Lehner.

Yeah, sometimes it's uncanny how these things work out.   If they can be a wildcard team with Reimer and freakin Mrazek, they could do fine with Lundqvist.  And potential trouble with Lehner.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, sometimes it's uncanny how these things work out.   If they can be a wildcard team with Reimer and freakin Mrazek, they could do fine with Lundqvist.  And potential trouble with Lehner.

I have to admit, despite them being a division opponent, the "Bunch of Jerks" seems quite likable. That said, Pesce is now out indefinitely, so between that and the goalie thing, they may fall out of the playoff picture if they can't plug those holes. 

49 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I have to admit, despite them being a division opponent, the "Bunch of Jerks" seems quite likable. That said, Pesce is now out indefinitely, so between that and the goalie thing, they may fall out of the playoff picture if they can't plug those holes. 

Gotta figure it's actually Florida that passes them, then, because Columbus seems like it's in free fall.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Gotta figure it's actually Florida that passes them, then, because Columbus seems like it's in free fall.

Yeah, I don't know if Columbus can recover. They're not playing poorly, they're just running out of talent. As much as I hate to admit it, looks like Torts is doing a good job with what he has to work with out there. But don't look now, the Rags are only 4 points back of a spot.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, yave1964 said:

If the Canes make the platyoffs by a point and the Leafs miss, maybe Ayre can move in with Steve Bartman somewhere under witness protection.

Believe it or not, The Sabres and Habs are making another push for the playoffs. They're only 4 points back of Florida now. Toronto and Florida are giving away the 3rd spot in the division right now.