Bruins give up a first to get rid of Backes

yave1964

Unique deal, the ghost of David Backes was dealt to the Ducks today ALONG with a first rounder for winger Ondrej Kase. Kase is a decent third liner, nothing more the first rounder was given up to free up salary nothing else.

This deal definitely was all about Anaheim getting a 1st rounder giving them two in the upcoming draft.
The "husk of Backes" as you like to say @yave1964 , is only a 3.4M cap hit that will disappear after next year, so even if he truly has nothing left, the Ducks aren't crippled by this in any way shape or form, and they likely go into a rebuild anyways.

As for Boston, trying to figure if the deal really was all about ridding themselves of Backes (possibly..as they have Krug and DeBrusk they likely would like to keep and re-sign), or more about getting the project known as Ondrej Kase.

I disagree that Kase is "just a third liner".... I have seen him do pretty well in top six roles, however, he simply CANNOT stay healthy, and that is where the real issue with him lies...not talent.
Surprising in a way because the Bruins never struck me as the type of org that would be patient with "reclamation projects"...they usually ship those types of players out....but if they can somehow get Kase healthy and keep him that way, they have an excellent 24 yr old trigger man to add depth to their scoring.

Big "if" though.....

• Like 1

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Kase, I msy have understated his ability a bit, as you say he cannot stay healthy but has done well when in the lineup, looking at his stats, essentially 200 games, 100 points so 40 point a year man written all over him, of course that may go up a bit playing with a real center instead of Derek Grant and that type, lol. He does play a heavy game which is what you want from a third liner which is why I pegged him there, I think a more fair assumption is 'middle six winger' instead. I stand corrected.

The money they have freed up, from what I have read allows Boston to go big after Kreider or Palmeiri as well. Palmieri has term remaining whereas Kreider went to Boston College and has long been rumored to be Beantown bound, I could see an extention worked out with Kreider pre trade with the money saved at this point. Love the deal for Boston, as you mentioned for the Ducks it is all about adding the extra first rounder which makes a lot of sense for them. Kase is expendable as they have an absolute ton of forward depth at or near ready for NHL duty in the system. 

I think we both hit nails on heads here, @yave1964… was just watching NHL Network, and they talked about this trade...and almost word for word that we posted here, they seemed to agree with.

We should both apply for jobs there.....get rid of some of their flotsam on that show and take over the analysis duties ourselves, eh? 
:biggrin:

• Like 2

20 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Unique deal, the ghost of David Backes was dealt to the Ducks today ALONG with a first rounder for winger Ondrej Kase. Kase is a decent third liner, nothing more the first rounder was given up to free up salary nothing else.

In my five other leagues, we never trade first round picks. Never. Unless for a really good guy and a jar of Vaseline.   (NTTAWWT) 

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1