David Ayres becomes first emergency backup goalie to record a win in NHL history.

AJgoal

8 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

THE NHL IS THE DUMBEST ORGANIZATION KNOWN TO MAN. 

Way to take a feel good story and piss all over it, idiots. 

Stop pissing and moaning about a complete non-issue and fix the ridiculous Department of Player Safety and the recovering head trauma patients they dress up in black and white stripes.

^^^^^^^ This x10000

unless you are a Leafs fan this is a great stopry ....God I hate the media and the NHL higher ups........

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

^^^^^^^ This x10000

unless you are a Leafs fan this is a great stopry ....God I hate the media and the NHL higher ups........

Right? 

The article is spot on. If it wasn't the Leafs this would not be a problem. 

Here's a thought:  your lover team sucks so bad it lost to a 42 year old zamboni driver.  The problem isn't the EBUG. The problem is your stupid team. Fix THAT. 

Edited by ruxpin
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, ruxpin said:

The article is spot on. If it wasn't the Leafs this would not be a problem. 

Here's a thought:  your lover team sucks so bad it lost to a 42 year old zamboni driver.  The problem isn't the EBUG. The problem is your stupid team. Fix THAT. 

I don't get how you "fix" this problem. "Emergency" and "Backup" are in the title of the job description.

Maybe the "problem" to fix is the Leafs causing two goalie injuries in one game?

And, as you point out, still losing.

3 hours ago, radoran said:

I don't get how you "fix" this problem. "Emergency" and "Backup" are in the title of the job description.

Maybe the "problem" to fix is the Leafs causing two goalie injuries in one game?

And, as you point out, still losing.

Agreed.     Well said.

And the writer in the article at the very least alludes to this, and I agree:  If the EBUG is actually qualified to play goal in the NHL, why isn't he?   Sounds like a roster expansion to me.   At the very least, it's fixing a problem that doesn't exist while ignoring the problems that actually do exist.

12 hours ago, ruxpin said:

No, the NHL does not have an EBUG problem

The National Hockey League is really good at fixing problems that neither need fixing nor are problems in the first place.

"Problems" such as fans voting goons into the All-Star Game. Spin-o-ramas in the shootout. How players should or should not tuck in their jerseys. The conference playoff format. And now, if we're to believe its presumed prioritization at the next general managers meeting, the latest pox upon our great sport: 42-year-old Zamboni drivers who serve as emergency backup goaltenders (EBUGs) and have the temerity to beat the Toronto Maple Leafs at home on "Hockey Night in Canada."

I'm in favour of a rule change whereby the team that loses both of its goalies must forfeit the game immediately.   ;)

23 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I'm in favour of a rule change whereby the team that loses both of its goalies must forfeit the game immediately.   ;)

'Weird streak of both opposing goalies dying at Scotiabank Arena remains unexplained. In unrelated news, the Leafs continue their home winning streak due to forfeit. They hope to extend it to 28 tonight against the Senators, who just signed former Leaf, Hutchinson, to an EBUG contract over Brian Burke's objections.  "The EBUGs are supposed to be at least near NHL quality. This is really stretching it," Burke told Rogers SportsNet. 

Funeral services for Jordan Biddington and Jake Allen on Friday. Jordan Biddington leaves behind his blue Russian cat, Muffy. Jake Allen leaves behind several nets full of pucks and was preceded in death by his career. 

• Haha 1

This is worth a chuckle:

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/a/ayresda01.html

ayres.jpg.83206c4bb06b1b4e7ccd532eb0bdb069.jpg

This is "Moonlight Graham" territory folks.   

To put this story to bed once and for all, Ayres had a .800 sv% and a 4.18 GAA.  The Leafs lost to everyone else on that ice except him.

We're winning now anyway, so it makes this so much easier to forget. If anything, this incident spawned the Leafs recent winning streak. Thanks for lighting a fire under the Leafs David Ayres!  :) 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I'm in favor of the rule change where the franchise that makes the most money and has the largest fanbase yet hasn't been able to figure how to put a decent team together for any length of time since the 19 frickin' 60s gets relegated to the AHL until they get their collective shite together.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

I'm in favor of the rule change where the franchise that makes the most money and has the largest fanbase yet hasn't been able to figure how to put a decent team together for any length of time since the 19 frickin' 60s gets relegated to the AHL until they get their collective shite together.

What if the NHL did what MLB does and have one of the skaters put the equipment on and play goal?  :) 

Everyone seems so testy over this incident. Why all the Leaf hate? :( The NHL is just trying to protect the integrity of its game and its goaltenders by dispelling the illusion that you could pluck anyone off the street, put them in net, and they could get a win in the NHL.  

Most people look at this as a "feel good" story. (Most people aren't Leafs fans.) I see it as another black mark on the Leafs franchise, but how else would I see it right? In any event, the Leafs DID light Ayres up. They scored early and often on him, exactly as one would expect. The only difference here is that the Hurricanes went into 10/10 puck possession and defence mode and just completely shut down Toronto's offence. They also had some help from the refs with the bogus penalty call on Clifford. 

So long story short, I don't think Ayres made it seem like just anyone could be put in goal and a team could win. He practices with the Leafs and sees shots from the players regularly. He doesn't just drive a Zamboni. He showed that he got lucky and the team rallied around him by playing like it was an elimination game in the playoffs and protected him. Thus, there's nothing for the NHL to worry about here, and in another 50 years when an emergency goalie has to play, I'm sure it'll happen in Toronto again.

Whew!  Everyone happy now? :IDunnoSmiley:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1