Leafs Abortion versus Carolina

WordsOfWisdom

Where should I begin?  First of all, that wasn't charging. Clifford was going after the puck. If the goalie leaves the net, he's fair game. But whatever. Penalty to Toronto = automatic goal. Might as well just award the goal and skip the two minutes altogether. Leafs can't kill penalties. 

Second of all, does Toronto really have a potent offence or are these guys overrated and overpaid?  They were out-shot something like 45-20 by Carolina.

The Leafs gave up 6 goals again. (Apparently that's the 10th time this season and most in the NHL.)  

Carolina had to go with an EMERGENCY BACKUP goalie (Ayres).... who got his first NHL win tonight.  

I think this LOSS puts to bed the notion of the Leafs as a playoff team once and for all. Dubas needs to begin the fire-sale and make some major changes to this roster. Not joking. Leafs need to sell at the deadline. They're not a playoff team. They're dreaming if they think otherwise. The Panthers are going to be 10 points ahead of Toronto by March 1. SELL. SELL. SELL. Get draft picks. Start over. Can't win with this group. For every 1 win, the Leafs now have 3 losses like this one tonight. They're not even a .500 team any more. It's O-V-E-R. 

🔥 💣 💥

Edited by WordsOfWisdom

@WordsOfWisdom

It could be worse. Your team could have a -108 goal differential. Let that number sink in for a minute.

At least you guys scored 3 goals. Red Wings fans don’t know what 3 goals for looks like...unless we are playing the Montreal Canadiens! (How ridiculous it is that we sweep the season series with Montreal for the first time in history THIS season!)

Just a little perspective for ya. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SpikeDDS said:

It could be worse. Your team could have a -108 goal differential. Let that number sink in for a minute.

While that may be true, for a Leafs franchise that missed the playoffs every year from 2006 until 2017, and has had three straight first round playoff exits since that time, we are the originators of long term ineptitude. 

This is the point in Toronto's rebuild where the team was supposed to be winning its first Stanley Cup.  Instead, they've taken a massive backward step like I predicted they would after the trades made last summer. 

The Leafs haven't made the second round of the playoffs since before the year long lockout of 2005..... when the shootout was first introduced. Names like Mario Lemieux, Patrick Roy, Joe Sakic, and Mats Sundin were playing hockey back then.  It's astonishing when you really think about it.  :( 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Maybe over rated.

Hey I think Ghost could help your offense.

👻

At this point I'd take him and put him on the wing. No defence required. No passing required. Just show an ability to shoot the puck and get it on goal. Our forwards seem to have lost that concept. 

• Like 1

Carolina did to TO what TO did to Pitts so it happens.

Marner was right, his play lately has been horrible, he doesn't create anymore he simply blind backhand high risk passes rather than explore his options.

As the first year after the AM and MM this should be the worse year, I thought that what Dubie did to shore up the team was pretty good, ideal no.

For the life of me I don't understand why Nylander isn't bringing the puck up ice during the PP, he's the best TO has at doing that, the best at establishing possession after passing or entering the opponent's blue line, it's maddening. 

As for taking shots I think TO couldn't make a pass, couldn't establish themselves in the Carolina zone ever after the 1st period. I saw a d to d pass that was like 2 feet that was into the receiver's feet and that was while not being harassed, Carolina was truly on last night, TO wasn't.

Not liking this Clifford, he hits but he frequently takes penalties at the wrong time of the game like late when TO's behind. He shouldn't have been penalized for his goalie collision last night, that was a reputation call.

This was another night I didn't feel Keefe was on the ball, he's pulling a Babs, leaving the duos together, AM & MM and JT & Ny, even tho they obviously don't have chemistry for this game. Also, I noticed that against Buffalo last Sunday the Eichel line got significant icetime against TO's 4th line, that was good coaching by the Buffalo coach.

This was one of those games that teams have to simply move on from. 

@WordsOfWisdom

Hang in there bro. As a Wings fan, this would just be a typical game.

Honestly, how the Leafs play over the next week is the real test at this point. Yeah they lost to a 42 year old Zamboni driver lets see them get p1ssed off and do something about it. gut check time. 

• Like 1