Athanasiou/Mike Green sit as deadline looms

yave1964

Protecting the trade assets from injury with a day to go,Mike Green and Andreas Athanasiou have been held out of tonights game to avoid injury heading into tomorrow's deadline.

Green has been linked to Washington, possibly for former Wing Nick Jensen. I am not a fan, he is signed for 4 more years at 2.5 million per but as a 6, meh, okay. lots of money for a bottom pairing guy with speed who falls down a lot and has little in the way of offense. Toronto has also been romured to be interested.

Athanasiou has been rumored to reunite with Holland in Edmonton, the Wings want a near ready prospect on the back end. Edmonton has a few of those but are against dealing either them or their first.Other teams interested may be Columbus, Boston or the Islanders.

Trevor Daley wants out, he wont fetch much but will be some teams consolation prize as he has won a couple of cups and knows what it takes come postseason. Rumors of a return to Dallas are out there.

Darren Helm is quietly having one hell of a year and his contract is high but tradeable, especially if the Wings retain salary. It is time, trade him and call up  Rasmussen and see what he can do.

Jimmy Howard. Ugh. UFA at years end the Wings would love to get an asset from him but probably wont be able to.

Whispers are that Bernier may be headed to Carolina or Colorado.

Alex Biega has surprised me as a meh defender, better than I thought, it wouldnt break my heart to see him return next year as our 7, in the press box, playing when someone is injured but may be dealt as well.

Lets face it we are the worst team in Hockey indeed the worst team in Hockey PERIOD since the cap era began, we have a lot of pieces in play but none are going to get us a huge haul unless the losers in the Kreider sweeps panic and overpay on AA. But all of the above should be dealt for futures.

• Like 1

Green dealt to Edmonton late last night.for a 4th that could turn into a 3rd. Nice add for an aging offensive d-man who has lost a step. Edmonton will play him on the 3rd pairing and have him as the shooter up top on the power play, something they say they have been missing so both teams get what they need,

• Like 1

4 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Green dealt to Edmonton late last night.for a 4th that could turn into a 3rd. Nice add for an aging offensive d-man who has lost a step. Edmonton will play him on the 3rd pairing and have him as the shooter up top on the power play, something they say they have been missing so both teams get what they need,

Good for both teams on this one, methinks. Right price and Edmonton gets a D-man who knows what it takes to win a Cup. He'll help settle the kids down during the run.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SpikeDDS said:

@yave1964

1 hour remaining. Think AA will get moved? Odds?

I say no.

Actually 3 hours, 3pm EST is the deadline.

I think he is a goner, Dallas and Jim Nill are the biggest rumor involving him right now. They have defense to burn, something might make a match there

20 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Actually 3 hours, 3pm EST is the deadline.

I think he is a goner, Dallas and Jim Nill are the biggest rumor involving him right now. They have defense to burn, something might make a match there

Hope you're right. I thought it was 1PM EST. My mistake. With 3 hours left, I still have hope.

I think AA wants out--few wouldn't with his abilities and with the DRW situation right now. It'll hurt next season some, but we won't have any headlines about having to match RFA offers over the summer. And maybe a season or two later, we'll be glad we moved him. Istill say no less that a first-rounder or a SOLID prospect and a second. He's got too much upside to move him for less.

3 minutes ago, SpikeDDS said:

Your wife is a Jackets fan?!

She from Columbus? A buckeye?

We live an hour north of Columbus,  she and my youngest daughter have shared a partial season ticket pkg for several years. I get to Nationwide about three or four times every year as well. 

1 minute ago, yave1964 said:

We live an hour north of Columbus,  she and my youngest daughter have shared a partial season ticket pkg for several years. I get to Nationwide about three or four times every year as well. 

Nobody's perfect! 😆

• Haha 1

Just now, yave1964 said:

@SpikeDDS

Not sure of the return but TSN says AA officially has been traded to the Oilers. Arguably the fastest guy in the game (aa) going to be playing on a line with McDavid.

I don't know what we are getting in return, but this was the best fit for him IMHO. He's gotta be psyched!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Two second rounders as the return. Okay. I would have rather added a roster player, preferably a blueliner but it makes sense.

I saw that they also dealt Kuffner and got Sam Gagner in return as part of the deal.

Draisaitl-McDavid-Athanasiou

Now that is a daunting defensive challenge. Maybe the most daunting in the league. If they click...watch out!

Just now, SpikeDDS said:

I saw that they also dealt Kuffner and got Sam Gagner in return as part of the deal.

Now that is a daunting defensive challenge. Maybe the most daunting in the league. If they click...watch out!

The Oilers have been seeking a scoring winger to play with MCD so Draisatl can run his own line and balance the team. 

Another move for the Wings, added Dmitro Yimashov, I read the thoughts of Leaf fans  they are furious, they say he has a non stop motor and loves to hit and cannot believe the Leafs lost him for nothing....

2 hours ago, SpikeDDS said:

McDavid and Draisaitl were split up months ago. McDavid was playing with Neal (now injured) and Kassian (now suspended) and Draisaitl has formed a dynamite line with Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Kailer Yamamoto. In their 21 games together, they have

Draisaitl - 37 points

Nugent-Hopkins - 28 points

Yamamoto - 21 points

My guess is that, at least until Kassian is back, that McDavid will centre Anthanasiou and Tyler Ennis. If so, that is an absurdly fast line.

• Like 2