2020 deadline winners and losers

yave1964

The dust has settled with only a few AHL trades still trickling in, the hype seemed to be worth it as most teams got involved (with a few exceptions) here are my biggest winners and losers from this years deadline

BIGGEST WINNER TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING Yeah I know giving up a late first for Goodrow was a reach but he is signed for beyond this year, is a big boy who plays the body, Blake coleman does the same and will probably finish around 30 goals for the year, Bogosian has lost a step but is a bruiser and nasty essentially all three are playoff types that this club desperately needed along with offseason addition Maroon they will be hard to play against in April, May and probably June

BIGGEST LOSER TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS Other than one eye raising deal after another where they added or subtracted borderline AHL forwards interchangeably they didn't do much of anything. Rumored to be dealing Barrie or Kapanen or adding desperately needed blueine help they more or less did nothing.

SECOND WINNER CAROLINA HURRICANES Yes they gave up four players for Trocheck but he filled a massive glaring hole at center, and with the defense beat up they added the two top defenders available in Sjkei and Vatanen. Chips all pushed in.

SECOND LOSER COLUMBUS BLUEJACKETS It appeared they had Athanasiou wrapped up before the Oilers snuck in at the 11th hour. Instead the team who is ravaged by injuries and defections but still somehow in the mix in desperate need of help only managed to trade Milano for Shore, a nothing deal.

THIRD WINNER EDMONTON OILERS They traded two 2nds, a 4th and a 5th but added Athanasiou, Green and Ennis to a team in need of confidence. AA and his blazing speed should fit nicely with McDavid.

FOURTH WINNER(TIE) KINGS AND DEVILS Both went full on rebuild, Toffoli, ColemanForbort, Martinez, Simmonds, Vatanen and more were moved out by the two teams for futures, both teams have decided to go full on rebuild and aggressively set about doing it.

THIRD LOSER ISLANDERS look, I love Pageau, I really do, a favorite underrated player but at a cost of a first, a second and a fourth they overpaid, THEN they spent most of the afternoon screwing around with the whole Parise thing only for Lou to back out at the last minute.

That is mine, others I thought of were Calgary who was sneaky under the radar improving the blueline towards the end, Buffalo who couldn't get out their own way and decide if they were sellers or buyers.

Edited by yave1964
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

BIGGEST LOSER TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS Other than one eye raising deal after another where they added or subtracted borderline AHL forwards interchangeably they didn't do much of anything. Rumored to be dealing Barrie or Kapanen or adding desperately needed blueine help they more or less did nothing.

As a Leafs fan, would it have been any other way?  😭

I knew they weren't going to add anyone, and I knew they weren't going to trade for a defenceman. I was actually hoping they were going to blow it up and start over. Was hoping to see big name players getting shipped out for first round draft picks. Sadly, we'll limp along in the NHL dead zone of 16th/17th place. 

• Like 1

Winners...

Edmonton for the reasons stated by the OP.
Oilers look like they finally decided to get serious, and much like TB, added players that are tougher to play against, add to their already speedy team, and this is all still without some players still on the mend for them.
Their goaltending situation is still a question mark, but given what was available, I think they did very well.

Lightning.....if they win a Cup.
Looked like even with a deep playoff run, they may still enjoy quite a number of draft picks...well, they used many of their prime ones for acquiring playoff caliber players....now they gotta get it done.

Also stated by the OP, Bolts made themselves look more the part of a playoff, Cup winning team, as opposed to a team that just "looks good" during the regular season.

Another winner, the Ottawa Senators....even in their massive rebuild.
They maximized their tradable players, picked a direction, and look like they are sticking to it.
And good gawd, the amount of picks they have in the upcoming draft...unless they trade off some of those to get almost NHL ready talent that will accelerate things for them.

Calgary are winners today as well.
Filled in needs with nice players on defense, still are going to get Gio back before season's end. As long as Rittich continues playing well, and the stars perform for them, they should be set to be a tough out in the post season.

Losers.......
Buffalo....what in the blue hell are they doing over there anyways???? Simmonds? Really???
Nothing against Simmonds, despite his declining skills, he still plays with a ton of heart, but he in no way shape or form, seems to fit what Buffalo is trying to build over there.
And then they go and trade Rodrigues and Sheary, two very good, very underappreciated depth guys who can play in anyone's bottom six.

Minnesota......Putting aside the Parise fall through (that should go into the off season anyways), no takers on Dumba or Brodin? What about all the teams that allegedly wanted those guys? Not sure if the right deal wasn't there, or the Wild got cold feet thinking about parting with those two.
I would have thought, seeing other deals for defensemen, that there should have been a market for either out there.
I like what Minnesota got back for Zucker, but scratching my head on Dumba and/or Brodin.

Winnipeg.....
Yes, they got Eakin and Demelo, but really, that's it?
The same Jets that were supposed to have a shot at the division and make a good playoff run?
I think they probably should have done more, but we will see.
I am underwhelmed by their inactivity.

And I will be leaving Toronto alone.....people are bashing them enough already.... :bigteeth:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

I agree. They have what, 3 picks in the top 10 of this summer's NHL draft?

2 in the first 10 currently.  The other is owned by the Islanders.    Wouldn't it be a hoot if the Islanders fall behind Carolina and someone and finish out of the players, "win" the lottery, and Ottawa ends up with #1, #3, and #5?  (They have 3 & 5 now, so the lottery win would push that down, but they're right there in "overtaking" other teams.   They could play another season and not "catch" Detroit, who is setting the gold standard for tanking.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

And I will be leaving Toronto alone.....people are bashing them enough already.... :bigteeth:

I'll create an entire thread on Toronto's 2020 trade deadline day failure!  This team deserves to be flogged!  😡

They're a cap maxed team that is floundering down the stretch en route to a 5th place finish in their division (behind Florida and Buffalo) and a missed playoff spot.

But wait! There's more! In about 5 minutes they'll get to face the new and improved Tampa Bay Lightning.... a team that has already won something like 25 out of its last 30 games. 

Edited by WordsOfWisdom

5 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I'll create an entire thread on Toronto's 2020 trade deadline day failure!  This team deserves to be flogged!

I'm often confused about where you stand on some topics.   Try to be less cryptic, would'ya?

• Haha 2

@TropicalFruitGirl26

I left the Wild out of it because I like the Zucker trade for them but agree they shoulda moved one of their d-men if they were inclined. I think they were so wrapped up in the Parise thing that they dropped the ball but the Zucker trade IMHO kept them off the loser list.

Agreed with the Senators, they are loading up with picks and futures, just recalled Josh Norris who is killing it in the AHL and who came aboard as part of the Karlsson deal. They are loading up to get this thing turned around within a year or two.

• Like 1

As others have said, Ottawa has really loaded up in what is supposed to be a very deep draft. Their picks, according to Cap Friendly:

image.png

They have 7 picks in the first 2 rounds this year.    lol

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

@TropicalFruitGirl26

I left the Wild out of it because I like the Zucker trade for them but agree they shoulda moved one of their d-men if they were inclined. I think they were so wrapped up in the Parise thing that they dropped the ball but the Zucker trade IMHO kept them off the loser list.

Agreed with the Senators, they are loading up with picks and futures, just recalled Josh Norris who is killing it in the AHL and who came aboard as part of the Karlsson deal. They are loading up to get this thing turned around within a year or two.

Yea, the Zucker trade was the kind we should have been seeing for other players they dealt away (albeit that was the former GM's doing), but what's done is done.

I'd like to think Bill Guerin is taking the more cerebral approach here and will probably now use the off season to gauge interest on his players, and possibly play other GM's against each other in bidding wars for either Dumba or Brodin, and maybe use that same time frame to see if Suter and/or Dubnyk would also waive to go to a contender that would have them.

If they have a good summer, then you can truly say they didn't "lose" deadline day per se.
Better to sit and really think things over, and maybe come up with better options rather than hurry just to make a deal "today".

I guess I was just expecting them to have already made up their minds about what they want to do and use the deadline to further whatever the plan was regarding personnel.

9 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

As others have said, Ottawa has really loaded up in what is supposed to be a very deep draft. Their picks, according to Cap Friendly:

image.png

They have 7 picks in the first 2 rounds this year.    lol

Looks like a NAHANA draft board...haha

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Yea, the Zucker trade was the kind we should have been seeing for other players they dealt away (albeit that was the former GM's doing), but what's done is done.

I'd like to think Bill Guerin is taking the more cerebral approach here and will probably now use the off season to gauge interest on his players, and possibly play other GM's against each other in bidding wars for either Dumba or Brodin, and maybe use that same time frame to see if Suter and/or Dubnyk would also waive to go to a contender that would have them.

If they have a good summer, then you can truly say they didn't "lose" deadline day per se.
Better to sit and really think things over, and maybe come up with better options rather than hurry just to make a deal "today".

I guess I was just expecting them to have already made up their minds about what they want to do and use the deadline to further whatever the plan was regarding personnel.

I’m kind of scratching my head today over the Wild’s moves, or lack thereof.
I’m really surprised the only thing of note was the Parise almost trade (I wonder how weird it’s going to be in the locker room next season when Parise is basically telling his team mates “I want out because you guys aren’t Cup competitors”). Only thing I can think of is that the players he wanted to move have been playing like garbage so he was only going to get garbage back. Maybe he feels now that the pressure of the deadline is passed, some of these nonperformers will start to contribute and increase their value to the point where he can get a prospect or a couple of draft picks for them this Summer. 

The reality probably is that Wild players just aren’t valued around the league, with a few exceptions. 
Oh, and Suter’s going nowhere. There is no way he waives his NMC like Parise did. Suter’s got it nice and comfy here, dictating his ice time, dictating his line mates, and his own personal Batphone to Leipold should any coach start telling him how long he can be on the ice and What to do when he’s out there...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

I’m kind of scratching my head today over the Wild’s moves, or lack thereof.
I’m really surprised the only thing of note was the Parise almost trade (I wonder how weird it’s going to be in the locker room next season when Parise is basically telling his team mates “I want out because you guys aren’t Cup competitors”). Only thing I can think of is that the players he wanted to move have been playing like garbage so he was only going to get garbage back. Maybe he feels now that the pressure of the deadline is passed, some of these nonperformers will start to contribute and increase their value to the point where he can get a prospect or a couple of draft picks for them this Summer. 

The reality probably is that Wild players just aren’t valued around the league, with a few exceptions. 
Oh, and Suter’s going nowhere. There is no way he waives his NMC like Parise did. Suter’s got it nice and comfy here, dictating his ice time, dictating his line mates, and his own personal Batphone to Leipold should any coach start telling him how long he can be on the ice and What to do when he’s out there...

Bottom line here is, the Wild now don't have to play hot potatoe against the clock and use the summer to really sort things out.
Rest of the season, they can use to see who really belongs out there, and if some vets really are done, they can further "hang themselves", so to speak, by continuing lackluster play.

I can think of a few teams who could use the services of some of the Wild defensemen, and while interest in Minnesota players may not be at a feverish pace (at least not that GMs are letting on), I think we all know this is a game where execs always try to downplay players and situations, while secretly plotting to try fleecing the other guy.

Pittsburgh GMs in the past have shown themselves to be a master at this, and I'd like to see if Guerin has picked any of that up while he was over there and use it in St. Paul.
A good GM not only overvalues his guys, but makes the OTHER guy think he is getting a great deal in potential with the guy he wants to trade.

A down season for Dumba shouldn't completely destroy his value and I think other GMs do see value in adding him to their blueline if they can....and as for Brodin, he had an up year, and frankly, I think this is about as good as Brodin gets, so if Guerin can find a taker for a decent return this summer for him based on what he's done this year, I'd say take the picks/prospects and run as Brodin may revert to just average once again next season.

A couple guys with UFA status and some others with just one year left, so Guerin has other decisions to make.
Seems to me he has, at least somewhat, convinced Leipold to start a teardown of the current team in order to make things better sooner.
Hopefully that continues....and eventually, that should force even the most stubborn vet to either want out, or get with the program.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

15 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Bottom line here is, the Wild now don't have to play hot potatoe against the clock and use the summer to really sort things out.
Rest of the season, they can use to see who really belongs out there, and if some vets really are done, they can further "hang themselves", so to speak, by continuing lackluster play.

I can think of a few teams who could use the services of some of the Wild defensemen, and while interest in Minnesota players may not be at a feverish pace (at least not that GMs are letting on), I think we all know this is a game where execs always try to downplay players and situations, while secretly plotting to try fleecing the other guy.

Pittsburgh GMs in the past have shown themselves to be a master at this, and I'd like to see if Guerin has picked any of that up while he was over there and use it in St. Paul.
A good GM not only overvalues his guys, but makes the OTHER guy think he is getting a great deal in potential with the guy he wants to trade.

A down season for Dumba shouldn't completely destroy his value and I think other GMs do see value in adding him to their blueline if they can....and as for Brodin, he had an up year, and frankly, I think this is about as good as Brodin gets, so if Guerin can find a taker for a decent return this summer for him based on what he's done this year, I'd say take the picks/prospects and run as Brodin may revert to just average once again next season.

A couple guys with UFA status and some others with just one year left, so Guerin has other decisions to make.
Seems to me he has, at least somewhat, convinced Leipold to start a teardown of the current team in order to make things better sooner.
Hopefully that continues....and eventually, that should force even the most stubborn vet to either want out, or get with the program.

I really don't think the Wild "won" or "lost" this trade deadline. To me "winning" means they did something to reach their goal, whether getting those players that may lead to a deep playoff run or collect draft picks and prospects to rebuild. "Losing" to me is not accomplishing your goal, which would be missing out on key players for a playoff run or not trading tradeable players for picks and prospects. No one really knows what the Wild's goal is. The GM says "The goal is the Playoffs", yet the Zucker trade kind of hints at a rebuild, and Parise wanting not to be part of a rebuild says to me there is at least open talk of a rebuild.

They've been too inconsistent this year for anyone to seriously consider them making a run (and don't give me that "Just get into the Playoffs and anything can happen!" crap). Except for maybe the owner. I think he still thinks this team is a Cup contender. No one was expecting them to amount to much this year anyways. They were predicted to finish last in the Central, and look, they're fifth out of six teams. They didn't do anything to improve the team, but they didn't make things worse either. They're the tuna hot dish of the NHL.

Koivu retiring (Pretty please!) and letting Galchenyuk walk (hopefully) will clear $10M off the cap for them. Moving one of Brodin or Dumba will clear a bit more cap space ($4-$6M depending on who is moved). Tyler Ennis comes off the books after the season as well, so there is another $1.2M. All I know is that the building around Parise, Suter and Koivu didn't work. They need to try something else.

• 4 months later...

I agree with the majority of what's been said in this thread. I do think the Wild are deadline losers of sorts due to the fact that other than Zucker nothing else was done. Which is odd because I believe they have some remaining assets that more playoff bound teams would be interested in.

On a side note, I would have loved to see Dumba traded to Detroit.