Deadline day strengthens Pens

nossagog

GM Jim was active again on trade deadline day and before, and the Pens look to be a stronger team because of it.  With the days of Crosby and Malkin winding down, its time to push in some chips and go for the cup a time or two more while they are still at the top of their games.

So let's review, but I'll need a little help first from Mr. Peabody and his Wayback machine. Sherman, please send us back to Feb 11.

image.png.9dc654677b4eb8cfb86bdd2c88cc1c6f.png

Pens acquire Jason Zucker from the Wild for Alex Galchenyek, defensive prospect Calen Addison and a first round pick in 2020. Immediate impact here is obviously a positive, Galchenyuk did not work out in the Pens lineup, and adding Zucker, who can play top line minutes, immediately relieves the loss of Jake for this years playoff run. And at first glance, he really fits Sids line well(7gp 3 goals and 2 assists). The loss of prospect Calen does not affect the Pens as they have plenty of youth(Rikolla and Marino) who are NHL ready, and should be around for a while. The loss of the pick stings a little, but count that against the term of Zuckers contract and I'm okay with that.

Marty, I'm to set the time machine to deadline day and send you back.

image.png.fdb489fb36883ad557d2b809d7006c90.png

Pens acquire Patrick Marleau for a third round pick(second if the Pens win cup).  May be just a rental, but adding Marleau on the third line is good. A player whom may be in last year of career, and hasn't won cup.  I think he's going to add a very good veteran defensive presence on the third line.  Third round pick, meh. Second round pick means we won the cup, deal.

Pens acquire Conner Sheary and Evan Rodrigues for Dominik Kahun. The slow start for Kahun hurt his numbers for the year, and its a little iffy why they gave up on him so easily. But in the end he is a free agent at the end of the season anyway, and I don't think the Pens saw resigning him in their future.  So they add forward depth for the fourth line, the third line with Marleau and Kahun's place on the second line is Sheary going to Malkin's wing.  Rodrigues being a restricted free agent means they can probably retain him if he fits in.

So the current line will probably look like this:

Zucker-Crosby-Simon

Sheary-Malkin-Rust

Marleau-McCann-Hornqvist

Rodrigues-Bleugar-Tanev

The Pens stayed pat on Defense, which I think is good

Letang-Johnson

Shultz-Petterson

Ruhweedel-Troutman-Rikola                Marino and Doumolin when available.

The third pairing will get way better when Marino and Doumolin are back in the lineup. Both travelled with the team for the road trip out west this week.

In the spirit of an election year in the US, I'm nossagog, and I approve of these trades.

Edited by nossagog
  • Like 2

Another year, another Pens' run.....

I grudgingly wish Jason Zucker luck because he was one of the Wild players I really liked and he should absolutely thrive playing with players like Sid or Evgeni, but under the Penguins' system in general.

An ECF between the Pens and Lightning would be very exciting!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, SlapShot66 said:

Does anyone think that The Pens should have tried for a goalie maybe see if there are any on waivers because I am not sure of Murray's skills anymore, he hasn't been the same sine the Cup win imho. . . . . . .

I think that they have a great tandem with Murray and Jarry.  Although Murray isn't have a great season, the cost to find a TOP tier goalie at the deadline would be very substantive. As it stands now, I think Jarry is the number one goalie for the Pens.  And don't forget, they still have DeSmith waiting in the wings.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2020 at 4:26 PM, SlapShot66 said:

Does anyone think that The Pens should have tried for a goalie maybe see if there are any on waivers because I am not sure of Murray's skills anymore, he hasn't been the same sine the Cup win imho. . . . . . .

Murray skills are still there. He has the Marc Andre Fluery sydrom!

The key here is getting Dumolin and Marino back.

They are better team with those guys as would any team missing 2 of their top 4 D.

There are still 17 games for the Pens to figure out how to fit the new pieces.  when that happens they'll be a wagon. 

That's a lot of speed and grit 1-9 now, I would probably go Jarry as 1a to start.

On 3/4/2020 at 9:42 AM, mojo1917 said:

The key here is getting Dumolin and Marino back.

They are better team with those guys as would any team missing 2 of their top 4 D.

There are still 17 games for the Pens to figure out how to fit the new pieces.  when that happens they'll be a wagon. 

That's a lot of speed and grit 1-9 now, I would probably go Jarry as 1a to start.

I will agree that Jarry should be the number 1 goalie. Tho Murray played well against New Jersey. I am not sure if he's over the Marc Andre Fluery sydrom. I am hoping they figure things out in time to make a descent run into the Playoffs.

Edited by notfondajane