One thing that the Flyers lack compared to our division rivals

RonJeremy

As a  total team I think we are better than the Isles, Rangers and Penguins,  but probably not Washington . We have proven we can beat the best teams in a regular season game,but the thing that worries me heading into the playoffs is,  these teams all have a high end ringer on their team that’s can singlehandedly take the puck need to end and beat you. Ovechkin, Crosby, Barzal and Panerin are all guys that can win games with big plays. I can’t count how many times has Crosby beaten us by himself. Even if you shutdown the other players ,these kind of guys have that ability to change or win the game in a flash. We have a solid , balanced lineup, but we just don’t have that game changing , highly skilled offensive stalwart that is a constant threat to make one explosive play and end someone’s season. I hope that Frost or Farabee can become something close to that.

31 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

We have a solid , balanced lineup, but we just don’t have that game changing , highly skilled offensive stalwart that is a constant threat to make one explosive play and end someone’s season.

We've talked about the need for a pure finisher for awhile, but other than that I see lots of dynamic game changing skill all over our lineup right now, at least in the aggregate. By committee. Which in the playoffs is what wins anyway. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

We've talked about the need for a pure finisher for awhile, but other than that I see lots of dynamic game changing skill all over our lineup right now, at least in the aggregate. By committee. Which in the playoffs is what wins anyway. 

Yes a team effort is key  and we do have have good balance, but I still don’t think we have that one constant  dangerous threat who can do it all. But as long as we play a team game and roll four good lines , we can have some success. I just worry that since the teams are so close in skill and the games are usually close, that our lack of a standout game breaker could hurt us. Look at how dangerous Panerin is , every time he had the puck he was making things happen. I guess I just wish we had an ex citing ,dangerous offensive threat like that.

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

As a  total team I think we are better than the Isles, Rangers and Penguins,  but probably not Washington . We have proven we can beat the best teams in a regular season game,but the thing that worries me heading into the playoffs is,  these teams all have a high end ringer on their team that’s can singlehandedly take the puck need to end and beat you. Ovechkin, Crosby, Barzal and Panerin are all guys that can win games with big plays. I can’t count how many times has Crosby beaten us by himself. Even if you shutdown the other players ,these kind of guys have that ability to change or win the game in a flash. We have a solid , balanced lineup, but we just don’t have that game changing , highly skilled offensive stalwart that is a constant threat to make one explosive play and end someone’s season. I hope that Frost or Farabee can become something close to that.

Yes, we do. His name is Travis Konecny. I would rather play Washington, than Pittsburgh or the New York Islanders or Rangers. I think Washington's defense is not very good, particularly in their own end.

3 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Point taken, but if Ovechkin was so good, why only one cup? Panarin was on the cup winning Chicago team, but he was not the dominant force. Barzal is good but where is his cup?

Of those players you mentioned, Crosby is the only one who has been the best player on his team, while winning multiple championships.  

I dont doubt the talent you outlune in those players,  i just think a good team can neutralize a team who relies on the skill of a superstar

• Good Post 1

11 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

I hope that Frost or Farabee can become something close to that

I like that you have high hopes for these guys because so do I.  However, unless everyone is wrong about their ceiling they aren't Crosby, Malkin, OV, Barzal.... level that you are describing.   I think we had one fall into our laps last draft in we passed on the little guy.   

A few teams in the past have proved that you don't need a huge star to win the cup.  

27 minutes ago, Digityman said:

I like that you have high hopes for these guys because so do I.  However, unless everyone is wrong about their ceiling they aren't Crosby, Malkin, OV, Barzal.... level that you are describing.   I think we had one fall into our laps last draft in we passed on the little guy.   

A few teams in the past have proved that you don't need a huge star to win the cup.  

It's funny how many people are upset we didn't take Caufield. Alex Newhook, who is a  better all around player and was also available, has scored one less goal than him in two fewer games.

And I agree, depth over 4 - 7 game series is huge.

4 hours ago, Digityman said:

I think we had one fall into our laps last draft in we passed on the little guy. 

Those little guys sometimes just don't project that well when it comes to the NHL.

It's a whole different animal in the best hockey league in the world.

Just look at how Eeli Tolvanen dominated the KHL and now he can't even get in the NHL. He played 4 games in the NHL and hasn't been back since.

The NHL chews little guys up and spits them out it is real real hard to make it as a Martin St.Louis or Alex Debrincat in today's NHL it just is. 

Besides i think the Flyers got a defenseman with very elite skills and a little sniper like Caufield in Bobby Brink.

Brink has battled a very devastating injury but still has put up 24 points (11 goals) in 28 games.

So i will take York and Brink over Caulfield all day...because one it will be very hard for that kid to score in the NHL like he has.

He'll maybe get his chance to prove it. 

Tolvanen still trying to get his chance too....

• Good Post 1

I think the superstar needs to be transcendent for his team to beat the team with better quality 1-23.

I'm not sure if hockey is a stong-link sport the way basketball is because the best forwards are on the ice for 1/4 to 1/3 of the game.

The best defensmen for 5/16 to 1/2.

I think hockey is more of a weak-link sport like soccer. 

It is true the Flyers don't have a game breaker in the Matthew Barzal sense but when he's not on the ice the rest of that team is pretty meh-  

The Flyers have a 30 goal scorer on their 3rd line...I don't know if I buy into the thought process where a generational talent is needed to win. I think it makes some things easier, but I know McDavid hasn't won anything doing it alone and Crosby and Malkin have always needed that +3rd line centerman (Staal and Bonino) to win. 

• Like 1

The Blues showed last year that you don't need a superstar if you're outworking your opponent and you have a blueline that can really get the job done.  B Schenn as you're top left winger?  I could make an argument that Tarasenko had that potential but he was only .65 points per game through the playoffs.

And yes, a hot goalie helps a lot too, but Binnington didn't exactly light the world on fire in the playoffs either. 

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

17 minutes ago, Clarke2Leach said:

The Blues showed last year that you don't need a superstar if you're outworking your opponent and you have a blueline that can really get the job done.  B Schenn as you're top left winger?  I could make an argument that Tarasenko had that potential but he was only .65 points per game through the playoffs.

And yes, a hot goalie helps a lot too, but Binnington didn't exactly light the world on fire in the playoffs either. 

Exactly, the Blues simply out-teamed all the other teams. 4 lines of hard to play against.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, radoran said:

The important approach IMO is to take it one round at a time, one game at a time, and not go in thinking "well, the Blues won the Cup last year so we can, too!"

I can only speak for myself, but what I take from that statement is along the lines of, FINALLY, we realistically have a shot at the Cup. Probably not gonna happen this year - usually teams go through a deep run or two, go through the learning curve (so many young guys), and the bitter disappointment of losing.

But we CAN win the Cup, which we haven't been able to say for way too long.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, brelic said:

Probably not gonna happen this year - usually teams go through a deep run or two, go through the learning curve (so many young guys), and the bitter disappointment of losing.

Just last year the Jets were on a pretty good roll into the playoffs before losing to the Blues in seven. I think it was Wheeler who was being badgered by the Winnipeg press and just said something to the effect of "hey, guys, this is the hardest trophy in the world to win."

13 minutes ago, brelic said:

But we CAN win the Cup, which we haven't been able to say for way too long.

Not to get all Jim Mora here, but I'd just like them to win a round before we start saying they can win a Cup...

5 minutes ago, radoran said:

Not to get all Jim Mora here, but I'd just like them to win a round before we start saying they can win a Cup...

I believe they can win a round this year. Matchup will be important, but they definitely have the depth, talent, and coaching to do it. 

I don't think we'd beat the Pens, Bolts, or Isles (they seem to have our number this year). But I think we can beat the Caps, Canes, Jackets, Rangers, or Panthers. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, radoran said:

Just last year the Jets were on a pretty good roll into the playoffs before losing to the Blues in seven. I think it was Wheeler who was being badgered by the Winnipeg press and just said something to the effect of "hey, guys, this is the hardest trophy in the world to win."

The Jets were actually struggling heading into the playoffs last year and still almost beat the hottest team (and eventual Champs).  The Blues did  just enough to beat them and that's all that really matters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brelic said:

don't think we'd beat the Pens, Bolts, or Isles (they seem to have our number this year)

If the playoffs started today we could beat the Pens, they're a mess.  

I wonder how big an impact of zero Slewfoot Stamkos has on TBL.

The Islanders, have won all three games vs the Flyers and the last two I have no idea what the hell happened for those results...and I watched the games. I would be concerned if the Flyers drew the Islanders, that team is not going to win ****, but they do seem to know how to beat the Flyers.