Game 65: Flyers at Rangers; 3/1/20 @ Noon

Howie58

27 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

I'm not sure why goalies can't play 2 games in a row from time to time.....I mean, EVERYONE ELSE on the team does!!!

Two in a row is fine, but the statistics on back to back games are pretty clear - it's not a great idea.

Basically, yes every other player on the team does play, but they're only on the ice for (generally) 20-25 minutes.

Goalies are out there for all 60.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

This assumes their play regresses, yes ?

Maybe their play stays at this level because the coach is holding the players accountable ?

Also, They've spent 5 months working AV's system, they are probably able to play and not think about where they need to be anymore.  Could be why they "look" better.

Assuming AV stays why wouldn't these guys keep playing to this level ?

Yes.

I am assuming they will go back to what they were doing in early January. For me, Ive watched these two for enough Flyer seasons to believe they will never be effective in helping this team win a cup. Id like to see the team move on. 

Wash.Rinse.Repeat: we've all seen this movie before. Didnt they have a 10 game win streak last season? How did that turn out?

AV will stay.  He will continue making this team better. But you cant get water from a rock

5 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Yes.

I am assuming they will go back to what they were doing in early January. For me, Ive watched these two for enough Flyer seasons to believe they will never be effective in helping this team win a cup. Id like to see the team move on. 

Wash.Rinse.Repeat: we've all seen this movie before. Didnt they have a 10 game win streak last season? How did that turn out?

AV will stay.  He will continue making this team better. But you cant get water from a rock

Lol, classic Philly sports fan vibe there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Didnt they have a 10 game win streak last season?

Different coach and a very different lineup.

Vigneault> Hakstol + Gordon

19/20 players > 18/19 players.  No MacDonald, no Vandevelde, no Weisse no Lehtera... 

I don't find the teams similar they wear the same uniform and play in the same building but they are not the same team. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, radoran said:

Two in a row is fine, but the statistics on back to back games are pretty clear - it's not a great idea.

Basically, yes every other player on the team does play, but they're only on the ice for (generally) 20-25 minutes.

Fair enough.

I was kinda being a smart ass....BUT, for the sake of "argument" (cuz we're all getting along WAY to well during this win streak)....

20-25 minutes of physical exhaustion (skating HARD (unless your JVR), hitting (unless your JVR), shooting, blocking shots (unless your JVR) back checking (unless your JVR) etc Vs. 50 minutes of standing around/crouching? I'll take the later!

I mean, "I get it", but at the same time I don't. Kid's what 20?...are we talking fatigue here?

Heck, my friend is a lobsterman here in Maine. 40 YO. Boat leaves dock at 4-5am....comes in round 2-3pm....EVERYDAY. Last week it was like 8 degrees here (F)...SUPER physical labor in some damn harsh conditions. EVERY DAY....back to back.

So is it a "mental" thing? Cuz if it's "fatigue"...I'm kinda lost on that theory?

I know my logic is flawed and not "complete"....but ya know...its the interwebs!

Can a goalie chime in here?! Why is it so "taboo" to have a young goalie play back to back games? Perhaps the position (and those damn splits and awkward movements) are a lot more taxing than I realize?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

I will take a box of the 1-2 pounders please. OMG do I miss lobster (was living in Halifax fopr 5 years)

Smart man.

Tourist Always want these big 3+ lb lobsters....and they eat like ****. RUBBER.

chicks are where it's at!...nice pound to pound and a quarter please....and yes, I'll eat 5 in a sitting! :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Smart man.

Tourist Always want these big 3+ lb lobsters....and they eat like ****. RUBBER.

chicks are where it's at!...nice pound to pound and a quarter please....and yes, I'll eat 5 in a sitting! :)

Yeah I learned that from the Bluenosers. What do you call the real little ones (less than 1 lb) - in NS they call them "canners"

23 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

So is it a "mental" thing? Cuz if it's "fatigue"...I'm kinda lost on that theory?

I know my logic is flawed and not "complete"....but ya know...its the interwebs!

Comparing "regular jobs" to professional sports is apples and oranges, really. I get that there are people who are in rigorous jobs in day to day life.

The statistics on goalies playing both ends of back to backs are pretty straightforward.

https://www.nhl.com/news/super-16-analytics-say-rest-goalies-on-back-to-backs/c-734778

And here's an example featuring three of our favorite goalies! :thumbsu:

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2013/4/4/4176206/ilya-bryzgalov-steve-mason-michael-leighton-goalies-back-to-back

Seems both mental and physical are involved. And that it has gotten more pronounced as the quality of backup goalies has improved.

Those stats are also related to how the team in front of the goalie playing back to back games plays as well. So if you have a tired goalie who is mentally drained and playing behind a team that is also tired, it's just a bad combination.

Essentially, that's why you have a backup goalie.

And, again, this is just "in general" and there are some specific times where it might be necessary/desirable.

Not that there's any good reason to ever play Brian Elliott. :hocky:

Edited by radoran
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

I mean, "I get it", but at the same time I don't. Kid's what 20?...are we talking fatigue here?

Ever been hit with a clapper ? how about 30 times in a 3 hour span ? 

Ever concentrate knowing any mistake you make costs your team, ever do it for 2 hours and 20 minutes ? So while you may not be exerting yourself for the full 60 minutes of game time, you need to be at maximum effectiveness in the blink of an eye. 

****'s exhausting. 

It's not just the physical exertion it's mental too. 

My wife is a counselor she works with a very difficult client population, they're always trying to kill themselves and in general act in ways that repel most people. When her clients are doing poorly, it wrecks her.

Your friend the lobsterman is probably more tired from trying to not die on the boat than he is from pulling pots. 

I've been on shop floors, race tracks and in foundries where a mistake makes your wife a widow, the added layer of awareness in addition to the physicality of the work makes it extra tiring.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Different coach and a very different lineup.

Vigneault> Hakstol + Gordon

19/20 players > 18/19 players.  No MacDonald, no Vandevelde, no Weisse no Lehtera... 

I don't find the teams similar they wear the same uniform and play in the same building but they are not the same team. 

Same core though. 

JVR, Jake, G, Coots, Laughton, Raffl, Ghost, Hagg, Provy, TK

I think this squad can make and win a playoff series. But I dont see them going deep or finals.

13 minutes ago, radoran said:

Comparing "regular jobs" to professional sports is apples and oranges, really. I get that there are people who are in rigorous jobs in day to day life.

Youd be surprised how tiring one can get pushing blue hairs down esclators. Between that and picking up dog poo,  i need lots of naps

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, radoran said:

PU$$IE$!

I'm not even out there AT ALL and I have no problem watching back to back games. 

Hell I could watch 4 in a row.

Man this country has gotten soft....

:beer:

Not to mention all with 50 lbs of equipment, or more.   For 3 hours?  .I'd take the skating positions over goal any day in terms of exhaustion.   Not that either isn't tiring.   At least with skaters, when they sit down--whether on the bench or between periods--they aren't still sitting there with an extra 50+ lbs of equipment on them.   This is why back-to-back isn't common.   That and what rad said about the skaters also being tired, back-to-back for a  not a good combination.

I'll take some lobster--and Allagash White or Barrel & Bean--too, please.

• Like 1

I just thought this part was worth quoting from Larry Brooks from the New York Post.   The article is about Lundqvist but the bolded below was fun to read because it was so matter-of-fact.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/01/this-is-where-were-at-with-henrik-lundqvist/

Again. This is not about next year, it is not about the summer, it is not about the King’s legacy. It is about now as the Rangers attempt to reassert themselves in the race following consecutive subpar performances against a superior team.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Maybe he was worried about hurting his mole. 

Christ Pods....my wife just came in to see what was so ******* funny...and I show her this sentence. She just looks at me like I'm an idiot.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Fair enough.

I was kinda being a smart ass....BUT, for the sake of "argument" (cuz we're all getting along WAY to well during this win streak)....

20-25 minutes of physical exhaustion (skating HARD (unless your JVR), hitting (unless your JVR), shooting, blocking shots (unless your JVR) back checking (unless your JVR) etc Vs. 50 minutes of standing around/crouching? I'll take the later!

I LOLed... 

Heck, my friend is a lobsterman here in Maine. 40 YO. Boat leaves dock at 4-5am....comes in round 2-3pm....EVERYDAY. Last week it was like 8 degrees here (F)...SUPER physical labor in some damn harsh conditions. EVERY DAY....back to back.

Yaaa...Lobster season is 3 months of the year. He probably spends 9 months drinking beer and bangin hookers. (unless he's JVR)

Can a goalie chime in here?! Why is it so "taboo" to have a young goalie play back to back games? Perhaps the position (and those damn splits and awkward movements) are a lot more taxing than I realize?

Our goalie is always the most soaked in sweat after a game. I can't play like JVR, I just have to go. And I get pretty sweaty. But the goalie is always drenched. That's gotta take something out of you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Ever been hit with a clapper ?

you mean the thing that turns your lights on when you clap?!.....😜

(Wish i was techno savy enough to insert a youtube video of that commercial...I mean, the look of satisfaction on that old ladies face when she realizes she forgot to turn off the light....AGAIN, but then realizes she doesn't have to get back out of bed anymore!.......Priceless)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, MaineFlyFan said:

you mean the thing that turns your lights on when you clap?!.....😜

(Wish i was techno savy enough to insert a youtube video of that commercial...I mean, the look of satisfaction on that old ladies face when she realizes she forgot to turn off the light....AGAIN, but then realizes she doesn't have to get back out of bed anymore!.......Priceless)

That old lady was happy because she was thinking about how she could hook the clapper to her personal satisfaction device, and the endless hours of hands free fun she was gonna have

18 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Lobster season is 3 months of the year

Only if your a "Dubber".....

that's what REAL fisherman call those weekend warriors who know NOTHING about fishing lobster efficiently and only fish during the summer cuz that's the only time they can catch them and make a profit!.... my buddy fishes April-Jan....they usually take Feb/March off but used to fish year round. true story.

ANYONE (even Coach X) could throw traps with rotten fish in them and catch lobsters in Maine in Jun, Jul, Aug......ANYONE!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

ANYONE (even Coach X) could throw traps with rotten fish in them and catch lobsters in Maine in Jun, Jul, Aug......ANYONE!

You've never seen me fish.  You could stock my bathtub and I'm not even catching a cold.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

You've never seen me fish.  You could stock my bathtub and I'm not even catching a cold.

It really is  because you live below the Merck Plant on the Susquehanna River...……..not a real healthy place to fish.😜