Galchenyuk

Tomdog

So in the first game or two reports came out about Galchenyuk not being able to skate well enough for the NHL.

So I said, give Chuckie a chance to show what he can do.

Now I've seen enough. This is my impression of him.

It looks like he has the size and hand skills to play. While not fast he really isn't slow. He doesn't seem to be very quick or have lateral movement.

But he really doesn't skate any worse than Eric Stahl or Mikko.

So my question is, is he just lost on what to do, or is he just going through the motions and waiting for next year.

If he is that lost, why play him as much as they do?

If he's just coasting, why play him at all.

I say move him to the 4th line and give Donato his spot.

Am I off base with this, what do the rest of you think.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I've liked him at Center more than I've liked him as a winger.  I would offer him a cheap deal and see if he takes it.  I'm pretty sure this is his last NHL chance.  

But do you like him more than mayhew at wing and donato at center. 
because I don’t see him doing anything. 

My uneducated guess, is that  going forward, the Wild are desperate for centers.   Galchenyuk, a former number 3 overall pick, who once scored 30 goals for Montreal , is forced on Guerin (to make the trade work cap wise).   So Guerin is giving him (guessing again on the # of games) 10 games at center to see if he can resurrect himself to the potential he once had.   So far, skating better than I thought he was capable, but the production isn't there.   Of course, putting him with a struggling Zucc and a 3rd line forward (Foligno) is not a perfect scenario.   That said, he's probably getting more of a chance then the last 3 years would indicate he deserves.

12 minutes ago, 4Check said:

My uneducated guess, is that  going forward, the Wild are desperate for centers.   Galchenyuk, a former number 3 overall pick, who once scored 30 goals for Montreal , is forced on Guerin (to make the trade work cap wise).   So Guerin is giving him (guessing again on the # of games) 10 games at center to see if he can resurrect himself to the potential he once had.   So far, skating better than I thought he was capable, but the production isn't there.   Of course, putting him with a struggling Zucc and a 3rd line forward (Foligno) is not a perfect scenario.   That said, he's probably getting more of a chance then the last 3 years would indicate he deserves.

I’m kind of thinking this is the case. Koivu will probably retire. So they will be short at least one center. Throw a one year deal at him for cheap. If he takes it great. If not,  $9M off the salary cap. 

• Like 1

I think it's in his head that he's an expendable player given all the times he been traded recently.

Tough to feel settled in with any team. I wouldn't expect a lightbulb going on turnaround like Fiala, But it does seem likes he's improving a bit with building some chemistry lately.

• Like 1

As far as centres the Wild have Nico Sturm in Iowa. Big German and we might as well add another country to the Wild United Nations squad. And we have a Swede, Victor Rask sitting so Mayhew can do his best impression of Stephan Vielluex.

Next season

1 Staal

2 EEK

3 Sturm

4 Gallchenyuk

5 Rask

I like Kunin at right wing but organization may want to develop as a center. For depth they have the Johnson kid from Grand Forks in Iowa.

He's hustling out there.  He's winning some draws.  I like how he likes to push the pace.  I agree with @IllaZilla for the most part though.  Offer him a fairly cheap deal, short-term (like a prove it deal) and let him show he's worthy of something more or you deal him.  

• Like 1

After watching him play the last 2 games, I don’t think I would bring him back unless he could improve his skating. 
I’m not sure if he is overweight or just slow, but his skating is really holding him back. 

6 hours ago, Tomdog said:

After watching him play the last 2 games, I don’t think I would bring him back unless he could improve his skating. 
I’m not sure if he is overweight or just slow, but his skating is really holding him back. 

I don't think he's overweight, and by what I've heard...he's put a lot of time trying to work on improving his explosiveness.  He was noted for staying later after practices to keep working on it.  I think his attitude is in the right place.  I'm more concerned about his decision-making with the puck than his skating.  While he's shown some finishing ability and he can dangle pretty well, he can make some really ludicrous decisions with the puck.  The kind of mistakes you normally don't see in players that have advanced beyond pee wees.  

• Like 1

For me, the question is.....is Galchenyuk good enough to be the Wild's future 2nd line center?   IMO, he's not going to be a #1C. And with JEE and Sturm IMO the likely #3 and #4 future C's,  2C would be the only slot for him.     Personally,  though he has been good at times, I'm not yet convinced.  Certainly not for a long term commitment.  But perhaps short term until Khovanov or any other future draft picks (fingers crossed) are ready.   Still hoping Guerin pulls off a deal(s) that upgrades one or miraculously both top 2 center slots.  

• 6 months later...
On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 7:08 PM, 4Check said:

Still hoping Guerin pulls off a deal(s) that upgrades one or miraculously both top 2 center slots.  

*POOOOF*

Guerin has granted your wish!   Meet the Wild's two new Top 2 Centers:

Bjugstad and M. Johanssen

🤣

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Just found that Alex Galchenyuk is not with us anymore, but he signed with Ottawa Senators team according to eliteprospects.com . Interesting, what kind of team we are going to have this season? A full mystery already as well as entire hockey season - when is going to start, how long, how smooth or how intermittent(not steady) is going to be? And how the players and fans are thinking about that too?

Also more news , before the season is going to start, the Wild organization is going to name the new team captain.

Here is the link to the article:

https://www.hockeywilderness.com/2020/11/23/21611667/new-minnesota-wild-captain-to-be-named-for-upcoming-season-nhl-prospect-draft-offseason

9 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Just found that Alex Galchenyuk is not with us anymore, but he signed with Ottawa Senators team according to eliteprospects.com . Interesting, what kind of team we are going to have this season? A full mystery already as well as entire hockey season - when is going to start, how long, how smooth or how intermittent(not steady) is going to be? And how the players and fans are thinking about that too?

Also more news , before the season is going to start, the Wild organization is going to name the new team captain.

Here is the link to the article:

https://www.hockeywilderness.com/2020/11/23/21611667/new-minnesota-wild-captain-to-be-named-for-upcoming-season-nhl-prospect-draft-offseason

I don't want to sound cruel but the Wild will suck **** when and if the season starts. Half of the forward corps are with the status of "if and maybe". The team is faster than before but inexperienced, and who will be the scoring dynamo? And you need more than Fiala. Even at this point no one knows who will be the designated #1 center. Koivu will very soon be happy they didn't offer him an extension. 

Galchenyuk, not a big loss.