The NHL's Plan for Coronavirus? Will it Ruin the Playoffs?

WordsOfWisdom

History repeating?  A look back at the last time a pandemic cancelled the Stanley Cup final in 1919:

Stanley_Cup_Series_Is_Off.thumb.jpg.a4c9926bd53fcd84e43b90ef1cf2adfc.jpg

How ironic that it's almost 100 years to the day.... and the teams involved were the Montreal Canadiens and Seattle Metropolitans...... and Seattle is about to start play with their expansion franchise.   

Game summaries[edit]

All of the games were held at the Seattle Ice Arena. As with previous Stanley Cup series, the differing rules for the leagues alternated each game: PCHA rules were to be used in games one, three and five; and NHL rules were to be used in games two and four. The actual game five used NHL rules, as it was considered a replay of game four.[3] 

Prior to the series, Seattle star Bernie Morris was arrested by United States authorities for alleged draft dodging. He would not be released to return to hockey until 1920.[4]

Seattle dominated Montreal under PCHA rules, scoring two in the first, three in the second and a further two in the third.[5] Corbeau of Montreal was injured but finished the game and continued to play in the series as a substitute.[6]

The Canadiens evened the series in game two with Newsy Lalonde scoring all of Montreal's goals. Montreal took the lead and never relinquished it, although Seattle scored two in the third in 32 seconds to make it close. Joe Hall took a puck to the nose, on a deliberate play by Cully Wilson, but the rough tactics did not continue as Seattle tried to catch up.[7]

Back under PCHA rules, the Metropolitans won game three, 7–2. Seattle scored four goals in the first to take a commanding lead. No goals were scored in the second. In the third, Seattle prevented any comeback, outscoring Montreal 3–2.[8]

Game four ended tied, 0–0, after 20 minutes of overtime, with both Holmes and Montreal's Georges Vezina blocking every shot. Near the close of the second overtime, Berlinguette of Montreal had an outstanding chance to win it but missed by inches. Wilson of Seattle would mix it up with Berlinguette, who had to leave the ice. The crowd gave both teams an ovation after the game in appreciation of the teams' play.[9]

Between games four and five, discussions were made about which rules to use for game five. As game four had finished in a tie, the Canadiens wanted game five to be a replay of game four, using NHL rules, and Seattle wanted PCHA rules. The game was played under NHL rules, and it was agreed that in the future, teams would play overtime until a winning goal was scored.[3] Montreal trailed in the game 3–0 after two periods, but Seattle had tired, and Montreal scored three to force overtime. Lalonde had the Canadiens' second and third goals.[10]

In the extra period, Montreal's Jack McDonald tallied the game-winning goal, leading the Canadiens to a 4–3 victory. The Metropolitans had only one substitute player, and the team was exhausted. On the last play, Cully Wilson went to the bench to be replaced by Frank Foyston. Foyston had scored nine of Seattle's 19 goals in the series, but by that point, he was unable to move and replace Wilson, leaving the team shorthanded while McDonald scored. Some players went to the hospital after the game, while others had to be carried home.[11][12]

March 19 Montreal Canadiens   0–7   Seattle Metropolitans Seattle Ice Arena Recap show 
March 22 Montreal Canadiens   4–2   Seattle Metropolitans Seattle Ice Arena Recap show 
March 24 Montreal Canadiens   2–7   Seattle Metropolitans Seattle Ice Arena Recap show 
March 26 Montreal Canadiens   0–0 2OT Seattle Metropolitans Seattle Ice Arena Recap show 
March 29 Montreal Canadiens   4–3 OT Seattle Metropolitans Seattle Ice Arena Recap show 
Series stopped at 2–2–1  

(From Wikipedia)

I thought this topic was too important to stay buried in the Off-Topic section. This is THE topic of our times today and it threatens every professional sports league and every human on this planet. 

Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston reported three elements of the league’s contingency plan during Saturday’s Headlines segment on Hockey Night in Canada, which includes playing in empty arenas and lining up potential neutral site venues should a specific region or continent become unsuitable to play in.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-lays-coronavirus-contingency-plan-impact-playoffs/

Every time someone says the Coronavirus is "no big deal", the number of infected people increases by an order of magnitude. Italy (the entire country) is now shut down. The stock markets are crashing. This is pretty rare territory that we find ourselves in. Once every 100 years territory in fact. I think this thing is going to wipe out the playoffs this year. Mark it down. Barring a major (positive) turn of events, what used to be a joke about the 1919 Cup final influenza cancellation and people living in the "olden days" (and how it could never happen today) is about to happen now. There is a very good chance that there won't be any Stanley Cup playoffs this season.  

Yes, it sucks. There's a very real chance it derails the playoffs. 

I have a trip scheduled to Boston next week with my daughter to see Billie Eilish. So far, the # of cases in Boston are low, but that could definitely change in one week.

Our Department of Education just released a press release saying ANYONE travelling internationally (I'm in Canada) must self-quarantine for 14 days upon return - children are NOT to be sent to school during that period. 

SO basically, I'm faced with cancelling and forfeiting about $1500 or having my daughter miss two weeks of school. 

Ugh.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I work for a state public health department, and it is interesting to watch this unfold. I just shake my head at the toilet paper hoarders and the people buying up the N-95 respirators...waste of money.

Be interesting to see how the League handles this. They banned the press from talking to players after the Wild/Anaheim game.

Apparently this is supposed to keep the players "safe" (not talking to the press)...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

I work for a state public health department, and it is interesting to watch this unfold. I just shake my head at the toilet paper hoarders and the people buying up the N-95 respirators...waste of money.

I swear some people still believe in the boogeyman. Theres nothing wrong with taking precautions but stealing masks and lining up for a years supply of TP is ridiculous.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

buying up the N-95 respirators...waste of money.

yup and these geniuses don't realize that for a N95 respirator to work correctly is MUST BE properly fitted to the individual..aka one size DOES NOT fit all. (full transparency ... I too work in the healthcare field)

agree what a waste of money and the thought of my healthcare institution not having this device because of a potential shortage irritates the living the hell out of me .....

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

yup and these geniuses don't realize that for a N95 respirator to work correctly is MUST BE properly fitted to the individual..aka one size DOES NOT fit all. (full transparency ... I too work in the healthcare field)

agree what a waste of money and the thought of my healthcare institution not having this device because of a potential shortage irritates the living the hell out of me .....

Yup. That's why I just shake my head when I see these photos of those cruise passengers with N-95's on, especially the ones with the beards! And those 3M ones are single use only. Like if you're sanding a floor. They're not designed to be used day after day.

And you're right. Those idiots buying up the masks put a bigger strain on the health care system and those that work in it and who could actually use those masks...

• Like 1

I got into an argument with one of my father's tenants when I saw him with an N95 mask, but his long beard sticking out of the bottom of it. I just could not get through to him how he was wasting

a) His own money, and

b) Resources which actual intelligent people could use.

Just couldn't get through to him, and this all aside from the fact that the guy is ALWAYS visibly dirty looking. He looks like the 0.1% of germs that Lysol can't kill, but yeah, better a wear a mask...

I gave up after awhile. I just didn't have enough patience or crayons to try and get through to him.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

I got into an argument with one of my father's tenants when I saw him with an N95 mask, but his long beard sticking out of the bottom of it. I just could not get through to him how he was wasting

a) His own money, and

Just couldn't get through to him, and this all aside from the fact that the guy is ALWAYS visibly dirty looking. He looks like the 0.1% of germs that Lysol can't kill, but yeah, better a wear a mask...

I gave up after awhile. I just didn't have enough patience or crayons to try and get through to him.

Gawd help us all.

22 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

a) His own money, and

Try hand puppets next time...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

I swear some people still believe in the boogeyman. There nothing wrong with taking precautions but stealing masks and lining up for a years supply of TP is ridiculous.

So far those strict precautions(some countries/some cities are/or were shut down and etc.) are staying to the levels of a biological weapon precautions.  I do not remember similar precautions against any other viruses last and this century which had such a pandemic character. Something is more serious, which we even do not know in public. I heard today Israel started to quarantine for 14 days every person entering their country. The problem is - the incubation period for COVID-19 could be even longer, more than 14 days. In some masked cases were  even up to 3 weeks.  The other problem that this virus, unfortunately, does not bring a strong immunity to the body after the disease. Known already cases of repeated coronavirus disease for the same patient. Better do not travel until the situation will be under the complete control. In our hospital all missionaries of the surgical teams to Africa and Latin America are cancelled already.  

First of all, we should not panic. Any panic;any stress destructing immunity system.

Ideally, the virus should stop spreading as soon as it will get into the nation with a strong immunity system. We already talked about this before at our forums how to build a strong immunity system for our hockey players to prevent missing games because of cold or influenza infection. That part is even more important to fight against COVID-19, because it is affecting our immunity. I even heard that a portion of coronavirus DNA is a part of HIV DNA. Surprisingly, media more talking about masks, not shaking hands to each other, using more often disinfectants instead of  talk of building a better humans immunity system by using daily in their diet more dark colored fruits and berries, which are containing/rich in polyphenols; anthocyanins; antioxidants; vitamins; minerals. Those fruits could be used in  different forms - fresh; preserves; dry forms; slightly boiled fruits; raisins and etc.(blueberry;blackberry;black currants;black grapes;black cherry; sour cherry ;elderberry;raspberry;pomegranates) as well as to include more in our diet red beets too. Nice that media finally started to recommend to stop smoking for everyone who is smoking , because it realized that smoking is a well known silent killer of the immunity system.   Clean ecology is very important too. Because a dirty ecology badly affecting our humans immunity as well as it is a good persistent source for the multiple virus mutations. An examples are recent(during the last decade)variations of different viruses -  chicken virus(bird flu), pig(swine) virus, SARS, MERS. From where they mostly came ? If the globe is more clean then the more healthy less diseased population we will see around the globe. Overall, it is a global problem, which we should resolve fast and more seriously, but not each country individually. 

Regarding NHL playoffs, hope it will not be ruined this year because of the coronavirus influence. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

If I were going to go "full panic mode" and stock up on anything it would be canned foods and bottled water. I mean, priorities people. Toilet paper? Can you eat it if the grocery stores have no food?  ;) 

3 hours ago, Alexandron said:

The problem is - the incubation period for COVID-19 could be even longer, more than 14 days. In some masked cases were  even up to 3 weeks.

Bingo! According to doctors, unlike with the cold or flu, infected people do not show any signs of Coronavirus illness until many days later, and it's infectious during all of that time. So people who believe they're perfectly healthy, could be spreading the virus around to hundreds of other people and won't know until long after the fact. It's far more "insidious" than influenza in that sense.  It's not just a case of looking for people with a minor cough or sniffle as you mentioned in your post. 

• Like 1

Anyway, back on topic......

• Has anyone noticed any drops in attendance yet? 
  • Has there been an infected NHL player or coach yet?
  • IF an NHL player gets infected, what then? Quarantine?
  • How does that impact competitive balance if say, Sidney Crosby has to be in isolation for 3 weeks?
  • What if an entire team has to be quarantined for 3 weeks because of one infected player?

🤔

1 hour ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Anyway, back on topic......

• Has anyone noticed any drops in attendance yet? 
  • Has there been an infected NHL player or coach yet?
  • IF an NHL player gets infected, what then? Quarantine?
  • How does that impact competitive balance if say, Sidney Crosby has to be in isolation for 3 weeks?
  • What if an entire team has to be quarantined for 3 weeks because of one infected player?

🤔

https://www.inquirer.com/health/coronavirus/billie-eilish-concert-wells-fargo-center-coronavirus-friday-20200310.html

A lot of schools have closed.  Some major companies are telling their employees to stay home.   It's changing every day.

2 hours ago, hf101 said:

https://www.inquirer.com/health/coronavirus/billie-eilish-concert-wells-fargo-center-coronavirus-friday-20200310.html

A lot of schools have closed.  Some major companies are telling their employees to stay home.   It's changing every day.

Yeah it feels like we're in the twilight zone right now.  :( 

I'm still going about my daily activities as normal and sort of waiting for this thing to blow over already but it just keeps expanding.

Even if nothing more happens, I'm wondering if the damage has been done. Are people going to shy away from being in public places now with large groups of people? It might have a chilling effect on all large group events going forward, at least for awhile, even if those events are not cancelled in advance. 

I think people need to keep this outbreak in perspective.

Johns Hopkins University - Coronavirus vs Influenza

Infections
COVID-19: Approximately 115,997 cases worldwide; 761 cases in the U.S. as of Mar. 10, 2020.

Flu: Estimated 1 billion cases worldwide; 9.3 million to 45 million cases in the U.S. per year.

Deaths
COVID-19: Approximately 4,087 deaths reported worldwide; 27 deaths in the U.S., as of Mar. 10, 2020.

Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.

More people are infected and die of influenza worldwide and yet that does not stop football games, hockey games, concerts, church gatherings, etc. Right now, the COVID-19 mortality rate appears to be higher than influenza (3.5% vs 0.1%), but that's because there is such a limited data set compared to influenza. They know how many people died from COVID-19, because they can test the deceased. They don't know how many people were truly infected, because the symptoms are so similar. The true number of COVID-19 infections could be much higher, which would lower the mortality rate.

We've been conditioned to not go to the doctor if you have fever, chills, body-aches, etc. because you most likely have the flu, and there is nothing the doctor can do for you. So many more people may have had COVID-19 but didn't go to the doctor because they thought they had the flu.

Edited by IllaZilla
  • Like 3