The NHL's Plan for Coronavirus? Will it Ruin the Playoffs?

WordsOfWisdom

3 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Most people:  :frantics: 

I’ve always maintained people are no more than two legged sheep. Or worse. 

Seriously. Keep my hipster beard but buy a case of N-95 masks? Buy four months of toilet paper even though this is a respiratory virus not Norovirus? 

My God. How did we discover fire...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, IllaZilla said:

I’ve always maintained people are no more than two legged sheep. Or worse. 

Seriously. Keep my hipster beard but buy a case of N-95 masks? Buy four months of toilet paper even though this is a respiratory virus not Norovirus? 

My God. How did we discover fire...

Those masks aren't going to do much of anything from what the CDC says. As far as the NHL season goes, I think it's only a matter of time until the NHL cancels the season. So sad, but it may be necessary.

• Annoyed 1
  • Sad 1

Utah NBA player tests positive...and the NBA correctly calls the season over. NHL will be forced to follow suit, cause if they dont cancel and a player gets sick or dies...massive lawsuit...just the way I see it.

• Good Post 1
  • Uggh... 1

14 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Utah NBA player tests positive...and the NBA correctly calls the season over. NHL will be forced to follow suit, cause if they dont cancel and a player gets sick or dies...massive lawsuit...just the way I see it.

This is just unreal.  

Here are little (selfish) things that piss me off about this whole Coronavirus situation:

• Auston Matthews chasing 50 goals, and the Leafs franchise record held by Vaive.
  • A chance for the Leafs to play a team other than Boston in the playoffs.

I say the NHL should just play on.  Nobody in the NHL is infected yet, and even if they were, f__k this Coronavirus. I say: Last man standing wins the Cup. Players can keep dropping, fans can keep dropping, but the game will go on.  

Edited by WordsOfWisdom

3 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Here are little (selfish) things that piss me off about this whole Coronavirus situation:

• Auston Matthews chasing 50 goals, and the Leafs franchise record held by Vaive.

I say the NHL should just play on.  Nobody in the NHL is infected yet, and even if they were, f__k this Coronavirus. I say: Last man standing wins the Cup. Players can keep dropping, fans can keep dropping, but the game will go on.  

Speaking of selfish, Flyers playing their best hockey in a decade, finally after 3 decades have a franchise goalie ...that spells 99.9% cancelled season!!

• Like 3

"IF" ...the NHL were to follow the NBA route ...

One creative/interesting thought I had was that the NHL may consider a method to get all teams to 71 or 72gp.
So they may immediately suspend games for teams at the max mark (currently 71gp... or 72) and allow closed-door games between other teams to get there. This at least puts all teams at a fair-GP count.

Worst-comes-to-worst and the NHL can't get the last 11 or 12 regular season GP in... they head straight to (closed-venue) playoffs, on schedule (Apr7th-on) based on top 8 of each conference .....

Also ...think about all the players nursing injuries this would give teams time to get healthy and could impact the competitive balance(ebbs and flows). I don't say this as a negative i just find it interesting to ponder.

• Like 3

I don't see how the NHL can do anything other than follow the NBA's lead at this point.  Large crowds. Too many shared arenas.  Too many players with overseas connections (friends, family, etc).

Patient "0" in the NBA is Rudy Gobert. Plays for the Utah Jazz. The NBA's Washington Wizards played at the Jazz on 2/28 and just yesterday announced their players need to self quarantine for the next 3-4 days. The Wizards played home games on 3/6 and 3/8.  In the meantime, the Capitals hosted the Flyers in the same arena on 3/4. Why take a chance?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

Worst-comes-to-worst and the NHL can't get the last 11 or 12 regular season GP in... they head straight to (closed-venue) playoffs, on schedule (Apr7th-on) based on top 8 of each conference .....

I'd like to see them play on. Full or empty arena, don't care. Get it done. Even if a player gets infected with Coronavirus (which will probably happen), treat them as an injured player, they go into quarantine, and the rest play on. I would keep going until I had no other option (ie: run out of able-bodied players on both teams) like what happened in 1919. 

Players are in no more danger of catching Coronavirus by playing hockey than they are by not playing. If this thing is going to become similar to the flu then it's virtually impossible to avoid catching it. 

Edited by WordsOfWisdom

On 3/10/2020 at 12:40 PM, JR Ewing said:

I got into an argument with one of my father's tenants when I saw him with an N95 mask, but his long beard sticking out of the bottom of it. I just could not get through to him how he was wasting

a) His own money, and

b) Resources which actual intelligent people could use.

Just couldn't get through to him, and this all aside from the fact that the guy is ALWAYS visibly dirty looking. He looks like the 0.1% of germs that Lysol can't kill, but yeah, better a wear a mask...

I gave up after awhile. I just didn't have enough patience or crayons to try and get through to him.

never argue with an idiot...

they will just drag you down to there level and beat you with experience

(yes, this applies to Leafs fans)

10 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

ABSOLUTELY! The NHL should ignore public safety and open themselves for massive lawsuits, just to satisfy the personal "wants" of Leafs fans. That makes all the sense in the world

next thing you know they will be rigging the draft to save the "darlings" of the league from bankruptcy

...... oh ,wait

5 minutes ago, Digityman said:

hile a majority of us are younger and don't have a compromised immune system, we can become unbeknownst carriers.   Then we go visit our elderly neighbors or parents.   The flu has a vaccine for those that are vulnerable, this doesn't. 

This.

Also, and this is a crucial difference, this thing is respiratory. If your lungs start to fail you're going to eventually need a ventilator. Most hospitals simply don't have hundreds of ventilators. And they're likely going to need thousands of them. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

This.

Also, and this is a crucial difference, this thing is respiratory. If your lungs start to fail you're going to eventually need a ventilator. Most hospitals simply don't have hundreds of ventilators. And they're likely going to need thousands of them. 

Some on here know that I was very sick and in the hospital for 14 days over Christmas and New Year's.  Flu, double pneumonia, MRSA and sepsis.  It got to the point where I was told I'd be intubated by the next morning and "if you have anything you'd like to say to your daughters, now is the time."   I began responding to treatment on a V60 external ventilator and ultimately avoided intubation and the death they were not-so-subtely predicting. 

I missed the early stages because the symptoms were the same as the sinusitus/bronchitus/allergies I've dealt with my entire life. 

Here's the thing, people:  the KNOWN cases of Coronavirus are doubling every 3 days. Known cases.   We don't have tests. We have 75000 or so tests for 327 million people because Nero has fiddled with his groin as Rome burns. Unlike SARS or Ebola or West Nile, etc. there is no coordinated action among nations and no leadership to bring that about. 

Truth:  there are vastly more cases than we could possibly be aware of due to no way to test. 

So, as allergy season approaches, myself and thousands like me will miss early symptoms because "it's allergies" or "it's sinusitis" and "take Mucinex and Excedrin for a few days and I'll be fine."   Until it's in the lungs and we're in trouble. And no ventilator to save our lives because the hospital has 3 machines and I'm 24th in line. 

So, I like everyone here. Truly.  But f### you to those worried about a Goddammed hockey game. 

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

And no ventilator to save our lives because the hospital has 3 machines and I'm 24th in line.

This. 

Sorry to hear about your bout.  Glad you came through.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1