The NHL's Plan for Coronavirus? Will it Ruin the Playoffs?

WordsOfWisdom

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

ABSOLUTELY! The NHL should ignore public safety and open themselves for massive lawsuits, just to satisfy the personal "wants" of Leafs fans. That makes all the sense in the world

next thing you know they will be rigging the draft to save the "darlings" of the league from bankruptcy

...... oh ,wait

All I'm saying is..... it can't be stopped at this point.  It's making the rounds. I imagine everyone is going to catch it sooner or later. 6% of people are going to die from it (whatever the figure was) and there's nothing anyone can do about it. There's no containing it any more. It's too late for that. So why not continue to live our lives and try to preserve as much normalcy as possible?  Hiding at home is not going to prevent this thing from spreading. It'll just crash the stock market and kill off all of the businesses. 

I don't think I'm being selfish when I say we should carry on and try to keep things as close to normal as possible, because there is NO other alternative. We don't have a choice. If every business shuts down then we're dead anyway, whether by Coronavirus or not. 

I think what also might happen is the playoffs begin, there are no fans in the stands., just like what the NCAA did. This virus seems like itsnothing to screw around with

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Some on here know that I was very sick and in the hospital for 14 days over Christmas and New Year's.  Flu, double pneumonia, MRSA and sepsis. 

I did not know that. Glad you're feeling better now.  :) 

28 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

So, I like everyone here. Truly.  But f### you to those worried about a Goddammed hockey game. 

It's not about hockey, it's about continuing to live our lives and not letting this virus control us. The "hide at home" strategy might have worked two months ago when it was still manageable but not any more. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

All I'm saying is..... it can't be stopped at this point.  It's making the rounds. I imagine everyone is going to catch it sooner or later. 6% of people are going to die from it (whatever the figure was) and there's nothing anyone can do about it. There's no containing it any more. It's too late for that. So why not continue to live our lives and try to preserve as much normalcy as possible?  Hiding at home is not going to prevent this thing from spreading. It'll just crash the stock market and kill off all of the businesses. 

I don't think I'm being selfish when I say we should carry on and try to keep things as close to normal as possible, because there is NO other alternative. We don't have a choice. If every business shuts down then we're dead anyway, whether by Coronavirus or not. 

It absolutely helps to eliminate as much non-essential gatherings, travel, and contact as possible. Hockey is absolutely non-essential. 

40 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Some on here know that I was very sick and in the hospital for 14 days over Christmas and New Year's.  Flu, double pneumonia, MRSA and sepsis.  It got to the point where I was told I'd be intubated by the next morning and "if you have anything you'd like to say to your daughters, now is the time."   I began responding to treatment on a V60 external ventilator and ultimately avoided intubation and the death they were not-so-subtely predicting. 

I missed the early stages because the symptoms were the same as the sinusitus/bronchitus/allergies I've dealt with my entire life. 

Here's the thing, people:  the KNOWN cases of Coronavirus are doubling every 3 days. Known cases.   We don't have tests. We have 75000 or so tests for 327 million people because Nero has fiddled with his groin as Rome burns. Unlike SARS or Ebola or West Nile, etc. there is no coordinated action among nations and no leadership to bring that about. 

Truth:  there are vastly more cases than we could possibly be aware of due to no way to test. 

So, as allergy season approaches, myself and thousands like me will miss early symptoms because "it's allergies" or "it's sinusitis" and "take Mucinex and Excedrin for a few days and I'll be fine."   Until it's in the lungs and we're in trouble. And no ventilator to save our lives because the hospital has 3 machines and I'm 24th in line. 

So, I like everyone here. Truly.  But f### you to those worried about a Goddammed hockey game. 

I got into an argument with a guy on reddit last weekend, who was as sh|tty a person as I've spoken to in a long time:

image.png

Even if all you care about is yourself, you want to do everything possible to lower the number of infections. When the hospitals are over-run with Covid patients, they can't help people for all of the normal things that already keep our emergency rooms at capacity at the best of times. When I gave him some back of the napkin math, showing it would only take until late April/early May to completely run out of hospital beds in the US if the virus doubles every 6 days (number suggest it's actually ever 2) and that there's basically a two-day stock of masks for health care workers, he responded with:

image.png

I've considered being petty enough to send him a private message in another week or two to ask how things look. From the way things are going, not very good at all. People who work in this field are calling it the most frightening event in their career, and are talking about how we need a response akin to World War 2. Here in BC, Dr. Bonnie Henry, who led the fights against SARS, MERS and H1N1, broke down crying.

I'm sure this rube knows better than them.

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I know what you're saying, but I think this is too blase. The degree of spread and therefore the eventual mortality, can be limited. China did it. I will upload some charts if I can find the ones I was looking at yesterday.

"Hiding at home" if you feel unwell and are not sure, instead of going to visit your 92 year old father who may not be in perfect health (he's 92!) is not only the smart thing to do (unless you wish to kill your father and all those other old people who live in the nursing home with him), it is the moral and responsible thing to do. Shirley, you can see that, right?

2 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I know what you're saying, but I think this is too blase. The degree of spread and therefore the eventual mortality, can be limited. China did it. I will upload some charts if I can find the ones I was looking at yesterday.

"Hiding at home" if you feel unwell and are not sure, instead of going to visit your 92 year old father who may not be in perfect health (he's 92!) is not only the smart thing to do (unless you wish to kill your father and all those other old people who live in the nursing home with him), it is the moral and responsible thing to do. Shirley, you can see that, right?

Obviously I would stay home if I wasn't feeling well. I wouldn't go out and infect other people. 

1 minute ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Obviously I would stay home if I wasn't feeling well. I wouldn't go out and infect other people. 

It was not obvious from your posts. To wit:

19 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I imagine everyone is going to catch it sooner or later.

6 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

So why not continue to live our lives and try to preserve as much normalcy as possible?

2 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

My wife and I pulled our daughter out of school already, as we don't see the point in waiting for the school board to decide to do it only after somebody there is infected. I called my Dad and Gran and told them I won't be visiting for awhile. Other than Mrs. Ewing seeing our clients in their homes (she always wears a mask, and if they're coughing or ill, she's leaving right away) we're practicing the social distancing they're talking about as being necessary. That's what really worked in China.

You're right: we can't go on like normal. That will only make things worse.

Incidentally, today is my birthday and I feel great... so given that it could be the last one I ever have, I'm going to go out and celebrate it. 

🎂😃

(Hopefully I'm not being "selfish" by living my life and giving the proverbial middle finger to this Coronavirus.)

3 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

It was not obvious from your posts. To wit:

Okay well to be clear:  Sick people should stay home. Same as with cold/flu. 

Healthy people need to carry on and continue living life as close to normal as possible.

That's what I meant.  :)  

3 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Incidentally, today is my birthday and I feel great... so given that it could be the last one I ever have, I'm going to go out and celebrate it. 

🎂😃

(Hopefully I'm not being "selfish" by living my life and giving the proverbial middle finger to this Coronavirus.)

The things you're talking about are literally the opposite of what actual experts are saying we should do. It's not giving the finger to the Corona virus, it's giving the finger to everybody else.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

The things you're talking about are literally the opposite of what actual experts are saying we should do. It's not giving the finger to the Corona virus, it's giving the finger to everybody else.

I'm not sick though and I'm willing to take the risk of infection by going out in public for dinner to continue living my life because I'm not going to let this virus control me. That's what it boils down to. We all take risks when we step out our door into the world. 

I give a WWF-style crotch-chop to this Coronavirus.  

Am I the only one that feels this way?  Am I way off base?  :( 

18 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

You can and would infect other people even if you were feeling well. Symptoms can be absent for a few weeks. 

I enjoy talking hockey with you, but dude, it's not about you. 

Also, happy birthday :) Enjoy a Corona - the virus free kind.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Okay well to be clear:  Sick people should stay home. Same as with cold/flu. 

Healthy people need to carry on and continue living life as close to normal as possible.

That's what I meant.  :)  

Ok fair enough. Didn't mean to jump all over you, which as a Leafs fan, is icky anyway 🙂

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Wow!

I was initially joking. But now I reiterate my point about not arguung with an idiot

• Like 1
  • Annoyed 1

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

Actually you are ..... I feel the same way.  No virus is gonna keep me from enjoying life.  However, there are hundred thousands of kids and adults who are immnocompromised due to a myriad of reasons who can't fight infections like you and me.  "IF" you become infected and don't know it, you can be risking the lives of those individuals whom you might interact with on a daily basis.  Therefore  just caution is a necessity.  Listen closely...I am not saying one has to live in fear...but one needs to be mindful of others out there who can't fight infections.  That is why it is called flattening the bell curve.... give folks in my industry a chance to get a vaccine or a treatment plan in place.

Taking this nonchalant attitude that nothing is gonna keep me down is fine but we MUST be thinking about other individuals in our daily world.  It begins at home and with each and everyone one of us doing out part which begins with good hygiene.

Well Said!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Actually you are ..... I feel the same way.  No virus is gonna keep me from enjoying life.  However, there are hundred thousands of kids and adults who are immnocompromised due to a myriad of reasons who can't fight infections like you and me.  "IF" you become infected and don't know it, you can be risking the lives of those individuals whom you might interact with on a daily basis.  Therefore  just caution is a necessity.  Listen closely...I am not saying one has to live in fear...but one needs to be mindful of others out there who can't fight infections.  That is why it is called flattening the bell curve.... give folks in my industry a chance to get a vaccine or a treatment plan in place.

Taking this nonchalant attitude that nothing is gonna keep me down is fine but we MUST be thinking about other individuals in our daily world.  It begins at home and with each and everyone one of us doing out part which begins with good hygiene.

This is the primary reason I get the flu shot each year. It's not for me, it's for my daughter, my mom, my dad, my nieces and nephews... If it can help in any way, I'm in.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Wow!

I was initially joking. But now I reiterate my point about not arguung with an idiot

Have you ever had the flu before?  If so, why couldn't you avoid getting it if it's so easy?  Why didn't you just stay home?

You do realize people can't stay home forever right? Can doctors/nurses stay home?  Can police stay home? 

Stop with the name calling. 

11 minutes ago, brelic said:

This is the primary reason I get the flu shot each year. It's not for me, it's for my daughter, my mom, my dad, my nieces and nephews... If it can help in any way, I'm in.

Exactly!  That is why my entire family gets the flu shot.  We actually know someone from our church whose son cannot get the Flu Shot because of a host of medical issues and sadly it has taken him 4 weeks to recover from not one but two bouts of the flu because of others around him not being vaccinated.

BTW ....great example you listed above. Thanks.

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

In 1918, St. Louis cancelled public gatherings of more than 20 people. Philadelphia did not. Observe the difference in death rates between the two cities. Social distancing works. Crotch-chopping does not.

Cool. That's quite a difference.  :)