No Hockey and need a hockey fix? No problem, I have some ideas...

CreaseAndAssist

40 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

LOL, the play by play guy sounds like Stephen Hawking but the umpires actually sound really good. That's impressive for 1987! Hardball didn't have voice or commentary until HB3 and that was 1992 I think.  :) 

Mind blown. 🤯

The umpires could sound good because they used a small number of sound samples. The voice engine for the player's names was a program called Amiga Say, and it was very cool stuff for the mid-80s. It had a lot of applications for use, for example with disabled people, as you mentioned, but with Earl Weaver Baseball, use could use it so that any player you created or edited would also have their name announced as well.

This was also incorporated into AmigaBASIC, written by (you guessed it) Microsoft for the Amiga line of computers. If you typed something like

SAY TRANSLATE$ ("The Habs suck")

the computer would speak that phrase. Again, this is pretty heady stuff for 1987, and was far more than you were getting on an IBM-compatible 286 or anything in the Apple line. An IBM, which was capable of far less in terms of graphics and sound, was going for about $3,500. The Amiga ran you $600.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Confrontational said:

Ummm, the average age of the Covid-19 dead in Italy is 81. I'll let that sink in for a minute.

These might also interest you:

Italian Deaths due to regular common flu
Flu 2014-15: 7,027 (585 per month)
Flu 2015-16: 20,259 (1,688 per month)
Flu 2016-17: 15,801 (1,316 per month)
Flu 2017-18: 24,981 (2,081 per month)

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1201971219303285

Italian Deaths due to CV19
CV19 (6 months) 1800 (300 per month)

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Italy went from 366 dead eight days ago to almost 2,200 as of today, with their head of infectious diseases, Massimo Galli, saying that "the epidemic peak is not imminent". This is far worse than the regular common flu.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

Italy went from 366 dead eight days ago to almost 2,200 as of today, with their head of infectious diseases, Massimo Galli, saying that "the epidemic peak is not imminent". This is far worse than the regular common flu.

You and your pesky math.

Ray+kurzweil+postulates+that+any+quotfeildquot+medicine+law+news+entertainment+_7832a5370aefd6da3173b3da246da917.jpg

Edited by Podein25
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Confrontational said:

Ummm, the average age of the Covid-19 dead in Italy is 81. I'll let that sink in for a minute.

These might also interest you:

Italian Deaths due to regular common flu
Flu 2014-15: 7,027 (585 per month)
Flu 2015-16: 20,259 (1,688 per month)
Flu 2016-17: 15,801 (1,316 per month)
Flu 2017-18: 24,981 (2,081 per month)

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1201971219303285

Italian Deaths due to CV19
CV19 (6 months) 1800 (300 per month)

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

I think you're main point is really about keeping things in perspective and I agree with you on that actually. I do think the conversation is changing though, especially with what's happening in Italy. Because the whole thing about the curve isn't ultimately about the people with this mild virus, most of whom as you say are old to very old. Cull the herd and all that. 

The real issue, and why maybe you should care (or not) despite not being in that demographic, is that the health care system may not be able to help you in an emergency situation when you need it. I say this as a Canadian though, so I might be speaking mainly to them more than you at this point. But still.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Podein25 said:

You and your pesky math.

It's following an exponential growth rate, exactly as anticipated. 

4 hours ago, Podein25 said:

the health care system may not be able to help you in an emergency situation when you need it. I say this as a Canadian though, 

Given that everyone is likely to catch this thing at some point, would you rather have it now or later?  For me, I'd rather catch it while the medical system still has the resources to handle the patient load. A week or two from now, I think they'll be turning people away at the hospitals because there won't be any help. 

This thing is skyrocketing and there aren't enough doctors, nurses, volunteers, med students/pseudo-doctors/etc... to handle much more than what we have now.  People are either going to live or die at home with this thing. 

Edited by WordsOfWisdom

Just now, WordsOfWisdom said:

This thing is skyrocketing and there aren't enough doctors, nurses, volunteers, med students/pseudo-doctors/etc... to handle much more than what we have now.  People are either going to live or die at home with this thing. 

Ventilators. There are not enough ventilators. We have like 1 ventilator for every 10,00 people in Canada (source pending) and not all of them are necessarily not in use right now.  So we have less. 

Yes, people need to stay home with it, but more importantly, they need to stay home without it.

I had an Amiga 500 as well. I never realised how advanced the thing was back then. I did write my first study papers with it. The print quality was horrible, and the typeset for the Finnish ä- and ö-letters was even more horrendous, but it sure beat typing with a typewriter. The first computer in our family was a Sinclair ZX81 with no permanent memory storage (it had cassette tape external memory units, but we didn't have one). Every program had to be typed in using BASIC, every time you used it 🤪 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZX81

I learned some BASIC, and the quickly learned that I am too sloppy for coding. Too many typos, too many numbers switching places.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Ventilators. There are not enough ventilators. We have like 1 ventilator for every 10,00 people in Canada (source pending) and not all of them are necessarily not in use right now.  So we have less. 

Yes, people need to stay home with it, but more importantly, they need to stay home without it.

I think what gets ultimately wrecks us is the fact that we still have to go out to grocery stores to buy food and people still have to go out to work (for many types of jobs). Thus, it'll spread at grocery stores, through healthcare workers, emergency services, etc..... all the places we can't close off.  :( 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I think what gets ultimately wrecks us is the fact that we still have to go out to grocery stores to buy food and people still have to go out to work (for many types of jobs). Thus, it'll spread at grocery stores, through healthcare workers, emergency services, etc..... all the places we can't close off.  :( 

You don't have to stop it all, you just have to slow it down], cut the spread. You can't eliminate all social interaction. But you don't have to.

• Like 1

Right now we are imploding our economy over this (H1N1 infected 60mm ppl in the US, 30mm got medical attention, 18k+ ultimately died). Zero restaurants, hotels, sports, flights were shut down because of it. Think about that for a second - most of you probably don't even remember it - that's how big of a non-deal it was only 10 years ago...

What is happening right this second - even echo'd by posts above - is going to shut your country down, and ours. Restaurants are now closing nation wide - only delivery. Everything is coming to a standstill - while all those people have to pay rent, etc. Got 4 texts last night - guys in the restaurant biz, 4 from Mn and 1 from Nv - all let go...  

Economies don't just refire should this be over on day 15. There is massive damage being done right this second - which could very well implode both countries whether you got sick for a few days or not...

Edited by Confrontational

9 hours ago, Podein25 said:

You don't have to stop it all, you just have to slow it down], cut the spread. You can't eliminate all social interaction. But you don't have to.

Given what this is doing to the economy, and given the fact that we're still losing (the curve keeps fattening), I think they should reverse course on this thing and return to business as usual, before there's no business to return to.

Let's face it, everyone is going to catch this virus sooner or later. Staying at home living in fear is going to put us into another Great Depression. We are going to lose everything. It'll be 7.5 billion starving people around the world with no job, no future, and no food to eat. When you consider the number of deaths that will occur from a total global economic collapse, I think the numbers are far higher than anything this virus can do. To me, that's far worse than this Coronavirus. 

While it may be the right strategy for the medical community for us to not all get sick at once, it isn't the right strategy for our world as a whole. We need to meet this thing head-on.

1 hour ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I think they should reverse course on this thing and return to business as usual, before there's no business to return to.

I think you should rethink this thought. 

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

I think you should rethink this thought. 

Okay how about a strategy of doing what we're doing for 2 weeks (isolating ourselves) and if it makes no tangible difference (doesn't flatten the curve) then back to work as usual?

3 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Okay how about a strategy of doing what we're doing for 2 weeks (isolating ourselves) and if it makes no tangible difference (doesn't flatten the curve) then back to work as usual?

Sold. Can we say 3 weeks maybe? Just to be sure? It will work. Do you how I know that?

Singapore and Taiwan.

That's right, they're not in the news are they? Do you know why? Because the took drastic action weeks ago. Their curves are flat.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

4 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Sold. Can we say 3 weeks maybe? Just to be sure? It will work. Do you how I know that?

Singapore and Taiwan.

That's right, they're not in the news are they? Do you know why? Because the took drastic action weeks ago. Their curves are flat.

That would be great news.   :) 

Sorry Crease to hijack this thread - but...

I actually like what you both said above - but I think what's bugging me is the whole "perspective" thing - or maybe our "proportional response". I think this virus is scary as sh!t - so don't misinterpret me - and this isn't political - I just get that strange feeling that we're not being told everything.

Here's why: "On October 24, 2009, President Barack Obama declared Swine Flu a national emergency in the United States (roughly 6 months after the first cases). On November 12, 2009, the CDC reported an estimated 22 million American had been inflected and around 4,000 Americans have died."

Zero sports shut down - zero businesses...  We currently have the national guard being activated in several states - and there are currently 9 states where all bars and restaurants are closed - take out only. I currently have a buddy that works for a large hospitality business down here in Austin laying off 48 people today...

On a good news side - if there is any - a large conference one of my firms was supposed to be at end of March in vegas - cancelled - and today just emailed everyone their rescheduled date in Vegas for early August. So, lets hope some of these other massive conferences start inking reschedule dates - and start changing the mindset out there...

• 2 weeks later...

The Finnish Broadcasting Company is still using teletext, and since there are no NHL scores to report they have started reporting games from 2010.

You can find the page here:

https://yle.fi/aihe/tekstitv?P=235

(Nothing has changed, though. Mikko Koivu is still plus/minus -2, and we lost to Chicago...)

Edited by lynxrattle
  • Haha 2