Damn I miss hockey

mojo1917

12 hours ago, notfondajane said:

Hopefully all you Flyers fans are in good health! Including you Flyer Canuck and Podein! 

Yes this is from a Pens fan!

Cheers, hope you are safe. Got 5 inches of snow yesterday so everything is as it should be in my part of the world. Not sure why you lumped me in with @flyercanuck, that reprobate, but it's still nice to be thought of. Take care down there.

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

Cheers, hope you are safe. Got 5 inches of snow yesterday so everything is as it should be in my part of the world. Not sure why you lumped me in with @flyercanuck, that reprobate, but it's still nice to be thought of. Take care down there.

You two and FD are the biggest Flyers fans. I had to reach out to my favorite rivals. 

Glad to hear that everything is going well for you and your family. I will take care of things. You also do the same. I hope you have fun making snow people.😃

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

I really miss the snow. :poke:

On 4/4/2020 at 1:12 PM, notfondajane said:

You two and FD are the biggest Flyers fans. I had to reach out to my favorite rivals. 

Glad to hear that everything is going well for you and your family. I will take care of things. You also do the same. I hope you have fun making snow people.😃

Man I miss the old days....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, intheslot said:

K C scouts..

93173481_1504385663066016_151786012551413760_o.jpg

Nordiques are head and shoulders ahead of all the others. No question.  

Looking at the choices: Colorado, Winnipeg, and Minnesota already have teams. 

No way on earth would I bring the Thrashers back. It's Quebec Nordiques and Hartford Whalers. The rest either exist already or are so crash-and-burn that they're gone forever.  :) 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Nordiques are head and shoulders ahead of all the others. No question.  

Looking at the choices: Colorado, Winnipeg, and Minnesota already have teams. 

No way on earth would I bring the Thrashers back. It's Quebec Nordiques and Hartford Whalers. The rest either exist already or are so crash-and-burn that they're gone forever.  :)

I would bring back the Atlanta franchise and name it the Inferno!

To be honest I would like to see the Devil's move back to Kansas City. ( Would KC except them back?)

1 hour ago, notfondajane said:

I would bring back the Atlanta franchise and name it the Inferno!

To be honest I would like to see the Devil's move back to Kansas City. ( Would KC except them back?)

My understanding is that KC has a beautiful arena that's hockey-ready, owned by the Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG) which owns the Lakers--it is the Sprint Center.  Years ago, there was talk in South Florida of relocating the Panthers to KC, which would have a much lower fee than a new franchise. But the whole East-West team balance came up, and it's unclear to me if there is demand. 

Gosh, I believe KC picked up Doug Favell from the Flyers in the expansion draft!

I hope everyone is safe!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

My understanding is that KC has a beautiful arena that's hockey-ready, owned by the Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG) which owns the Lakers--it is the Sprint Center.  Years ago, there was talk in South Florida of relocating the Panthers to KC, which would have a much lower fee than a new franchise. But the whole East-West team balance came up, and it's unclear to me if there is demand. 

Gosh, I believe KC picked up Doug Favell from the Flyers in the expansion draft!

I hope everyone is safe!

So far so good here Howie! Sounds like you are doing well!

Should the Panthers transfer to Kansas City, Nashville probably would come East. As we all know Tennessee and Carolina are neighboring state. If Not I'm not mistaking Nashville is closer to Columbus than Raleigh.

I still like to see Kansas City and Atlanta receive teams. 

13 minutes ago, notfondajane said:

Should the Panthers transfer to Kansas City, Nashville probably would come East. As we all know Tennessee and Carolina are neighboring state. If Not I'm not mistaking Nashville is closer to Columbus than Raleigh.

I still like to see Kansas City and Atlanta receive teams. 

Atlanta crashed and burned twice. If it were up to me I'd say "never again". Atlanta is not a hockey town, and it's obvious why that is. Atlanta is a mostly black city, and for the most part, black people don't watch or play hockey. It's like putting a team in Mexico City. Wrong demographic. Sure, there are exceptions..... but you don't fill a 20,000 seat arena with exceptions.

Kansas City has the right democratic in that sense but no hockey history and no fan interest there. That's baseball/football country. Bad place for hockey imho and probably why it failed the first time. 

Quebec City is the perfect hockey market in every way. I'd be interested to know how much money the NHL has lost by not being in Quebec City the past 25 years. Having lame duck teams like the Panthers, Devils, etc..... rather than add another "Montreal Canadiens" franchise to your league. Hmmm.  That's like MLB saying "nah, we don't need the Dodgers in our league, we'd much rather have a team in Alaska". 

:) 

4 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Atlanta crashed and burned twice. If it were up to me I'd say "never again". Atlanta is not a hockey town, and it's obvious why that is. Atlanta is a mostly black city, and for the most part, black people don't watch or play hockey. It's like putting a team in Mexico City. Wrong demographic. Sure, there are exceptions..... but you don't fill a 20,000 seat arena with exceptions.

Kansas City has the right democratic in that sense but no hockey history and no fan interest there. That's baseball/football country. Bad place for hockey imho and probably why it failed the first time. 

Quebec City is the perfect hockey market in every way. I'd be interested to know how much money the NHL has lost by not being in Quebec City the past 25 years. Having lame duck teams like the Panthers, Devils, etc..... rather than add another "Montreal Canadiens" franchise to your league. Hmmm.  That's like MLB saying "nah, we don't need the Dodgers in our league, we'd much rather have a team in Alaska". 

The economy wasn't very good when the Scouts joined the league. Heck the Washington barely serviced.

1 minute ago, notfondajane said:

The economy wasn't very good when the Scouts joined the league. Heck the Washington barely serviced.

I'd put a team in Kansas City before putting one in Atlanta again..... 

..... but only after Quebec City, Hartford, Hamilton, and Saskatoon. 😃

1 minute ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I'd put a team in Kansas City before putting one in Atlanta again..... 

..... but only after Quebec City, Hartford, Hamilton, and Saskatoon. 😃

Quebec City ok! To many teams between Boston and Washington.Hamilton would hurt the Sabres attendance. Saskatoon' s population is my concern. I'm not sure isn't it the size of Erie PA?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, notfondajane said:

Quebec City ok! To many teams between Boston and Washington.Hamilton would hurt the Sabres attendance. Saskatoon' s population is my concern. I'm not sure isn't it the size of Erie PA?

I think in the NHL's pecking order of teams they would go Quebec City next, then they would revisit Hartford, and then Kansas City would be 3rd in line. Given that the league is already up to 32 teams now, I think these would all be achieved through relocating existing teams rather than more expansion. 

Panthers -> Quebec City (same division, easy move)

New Jersey -> Hartford (same division, easy move)

Phoenix Coyotes -> Kansas City Scouts

Here is what might be in the NHL's future (although nobody is talking about this today):

Detroit Red Wings -> Hamilton/Markham/Mississauga/Windsor/London (Ont.) 

Hamilton is between Toronto and Buffalo, so would draw from both fanbases. Detroit is a city that has undergone a massive demographic shift in the past few decades as the auto industry (and middle class America) has essentially left it behind. It's conceivable that Detroit won't be able to sustain an NHL team for much longer if the city continues along its current path. If that happens, the most logical location is southern Ontario (where there are a ton of Red Wings fans west of London already). They might become the Windsor Red Wings, London Red Wings, or the Hamilton Red Wings in another 10 years from now. 

Saskatoon was just me being funny.  ;) 

Edited by WordsOfWisdom