Damn I miss hockey

mojo1917

No hockey means more farming for Flyers' Travis Sanheim

Travis Sanheim will never forget his roots.

Playing in the NHL hasn't taken the kid or farmer out of the Elkhorn, Manitoba, native.

The Flyers' 24-year-old defenseman loves hockey and farming. Sanheim's father Kent Sanheim instilled agriculture in his son, who is currently living in Brandon, Manitoba, about a one-hour drive from his hometown of Elkhorn.

With the 2019-20 NHL season at a halt because of the coronavirus outbreak, Sanheim is eager to take advantage of the time.

"We have a family farm," Sanheim said Thursday on NBC Sports Philadelphia's Flyers Talk podcast. "That's just something that I've grown up with, my dad has done it his whole life, so he taught us at a young age to work and work on the farm.

"We've been running tractors and combines and helping out as much as we can. I remember when we were younger and harvest, having to miss school days and stay home and get the crops off. When I switched to junior [hockey] and had to leave in August, I wasn't able to do the harvest anymore. But since playing in the NHL, I don't really have to go back until September, so I try to get as much as I can in while I'm still here.

"Actually right now, we're going to start seeding hopefully next week, so I can definitely help out right now."

The 2014 first-round pick has emerged as one of the Flyers' top offensive blueliners. Over the past two seasons, Sanheim leads Flyers defensemen in assists (43) and is second in points (60) to only Ivan Provorov (62). But Sanheim doesn't just enjoy playing hockey. If there's a game on, he's likely watching or checking in on it. If there's a trade, his teammates go to him for the details.

They have a TSN insider nickname for Sanheim.

"The guys in the dressing room seem to call me Bob McKenzie," Sanheim said. "Any sort of news that they need, they usually try to run it by me and see if I've got anything. I just enjoy watching it, you like to stay up to date, I like to know what's going on. I'm always on Twitter or watching games on TV or stuff like that. I stay up to date, I enjoy what's going on and that's just something when I was younger that I liked to do."

Right now, if his teammates need the latest scoop, they can ask Sanheim in the Flyers' group text message chain, which is quite active during the hiatus and spearheaded by Kevin Hayes.

"Hayesy for sure is the one that keeps it going," Sanheim said. "Every day I think he writes in there that he misses the boys. There's a lot of chatter going on in there, especially as of late with everything that's going on. But lots of laughs, lots of videos and stuff like that that's getting thrown in there.

"We're still staying in touch and there are a lot of character guys on our team that tend to make everyone laugh."

• Like 1

Quite a few companies are jumping on the "hockey at home" trend now and making some pretty solid offers. Fell down that rabbit hole myself looking for new/different things for hockey. 

Have noticed many pros from NHL and European pro leagues using these grips what i assume are made out of some sort of rubber. Some company rocketgrip are offering them and they apparently last long and doesnt wreck your top hand like classic hockey tape does. 

Couldn't resist and ordered a couple to try them out - pretty decent. Anyone using these or what are your thoughts?

10 minutes ago, intheslot said:

Who is the first player you think of when you see this logo? 

97968563_1535801946591054_8480685583360851968_n.png

Dino Ciccarelli,  Close 2nds are Neil Broten, Bill Goldsworthy, Bobby Smith, JP Parise, and Brian Bellows

• Like 1

21 hours ago, intheslot said:

Who is the best hockey family in NHL history?

96131257_1535240863313829_7660136067189702656_n.jpg

The Sutters...and you haven't even mentioned the 2nd generation, 3 of which have already played in the NHL and likely more to come.

On 5/14/2020 at 10:16 AM, intheslot said:

· 13 mins · 

Should the Avs be allowed to bring back the Nordiques jerseys? 
...Thoughts.???

96087915_1535765023261413_3229379201123483648_o.jpg

I always had a soft spot for that jersey (even as much as I hated them) I'd love to see it back in the NHL.

Here we go. Multiple sources have indicated to Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman, the NHL has decided on a 24-team playoff tournament to decide the winner of the 2019-2020 Stanley Cup Champion!

The Return to Play committee has been grinding this process out trying to make as many people happy as possible. It has not been easy and there is still a ton of work to complete, but some would consider this the first official step of the NHL's comeback. Now it's up to the players and the teams to approve the setup.

Friedman's colleague Chris Johnston chimed in with some more information on the matter:

Further to @FriedgeHNIC report on progress being made with the NHL's return-to-play format: Important to note this is just about how the 24-team system would work and doesn't cover other critical issues, such as testing protocols, hub cities, visas and many other things.

Here's what you need to know about the 24-team set up:

• Top 4 seeds receive byes (Bruins, Lightning, Washington, Philly) (Blues, Golden Knights, Avs, Stars)
  • Bracketed format onward meaning 5 vs 12, 6 vs 11, 7 vs 10, 8 vs 9
  • Play-In Series from there being best-of-five, rest of the playoffs best-of-seven

The NHL is working very hard at getting the season to resume and it now looks like at the stage where we can start talking about real playoff possibilities. 

Reports have shown that the breakdown suggested by The Return to Play committee would be the following: Twenty-four teams would get in, 12 from each conference. The top-4 teams in each conference – according to the standing when the shutdown occurred on March 12 – would get a bye through the play-in round. The next eight would meet in a best-of-five series. Those top four teams would play each other in a three-game round robin. While that round-robin is taking place, the remaining eight teams would square off in best-of-five, play-in series. Series would be best-of-seven after that. 

Here is a look at what the new 24-team Stanley Cup Playoff bracket would look like: 

inline_resized_1024_5ec7ca74ec6b9_336663.jpginline_resized_1024_5ec7ca7ccd542_336663.jpginline_resized_1024_5ec7ca5ca4910_336663.jpg

The NHL has focused recently on staging the 24-team resumption in two hub cities. The NHLPA is currently voting on the format, and the process should be done tonight. 

Not everyone is happy about this concept, however, Gary Bettman knows no format will leave all teams content. The league and players’ association remain focused on entering Phase 2 of the protocol before coming on a final agreement on the playoff format. 

Nothing is official, but at least, we’re getting closer to what the post-season will look like.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2020 at 11:13 AM, OccamsRazor said:

My morning video with coffee to start my day....brings back such a good memory...

...man how times flies my daughter wasn't even born yet and now she just turned 9 on May 3rd....

man what a memorable game.... I was up in Maine visiting my cousin and his new baby. my flight back to NYC was leaving in less than 1.5 hours when OT started. my niece was watching us screaming BOOOSHHH as Jokinen rolled to the net on the last shootout attempt and we flipped out when Boucher made that save.

• Good Post 1