Damn I miss hockey

mojo1917

I think these two are really key for this team going deep into this playoff run.

The duo of Travis Sanheim and Philippe Myers isn’t as technically sound as Philadelphia’s rock-solid top pair of Ivan Provorov and Matt Niskanen. But as Jakub Voracek said Sunday, when a pair has the physical tools that Sanheim (6-4) and Myers (6-5) possess, it’s a handful, even though the young defensemen are still developing at the position.

“Every D (pair) that’s playing against you that can skate and has a long reach and a long stick — it’s really hard to beat,” Voracek said. “You really have to use all your skills and elements to try to get around them a little bit differently than just wide or with speed. You have to think about it every time you’re going up against them.”

So far during camp, the Flyers are betting on that “hard to beat” element of the Sanheim-Myers pairing. Rather than work to limit the roles of Sanheim (who has only four games of playoff experience in a limited role in 2018) and Myers (no playoff games), the coaching staff looks ready to throw the young duo right into the fire, trusting it to hold up against tough competition as the Flyers’ second pair of choice in the postseason.

For Mike Yeo, the assistant coach in charge of the defense, the playoffs will be an extension of the responsibilities Sanheim and Myers earned in the second half of the regular season.

“If you go back to when we were winning a lot of games, obviously we were using Provy and Nisky in those roles, but there was a lot of times where we’re playing against Washington and (Alexander) Ovechkin’s on the ice and Myers and Sanheim are going head to head against those guys,” Yeo said. “Same thing against Toronto and against Auston Matthews. Not only did we not hide those guys, but we purposely matched them against the best lines in the league: (A) because they have that ability; and (B) because we wanted them to grow. Really the only way to do it is by doing it.”

The pair drove play at five-on-five during the regular season (52.37 percent Corsi for, 51.85 percent expected goals for percentage) and was the most effective pair in Saturday’s scrimmage. In the early going, they’ve checked every playoff-readiness box. Myers, the true playoff newbie, can’t wait to get started.

“I think the intensity is going to be as high as it’s ever been for me during a hockey game,” Myers said Sunday. “I’ll be ready.”

Last time the Flyers had a very strong top 4 they could roll we saw them go all the way to the finals....are they that good now?? Guess we'll see.

Wasn't sure where to put this so i said here will do. So tell was there a prettier goal this season than this one??? Please show me!!!

You're telling me that is a defenseman who scored that??? UF*CKINGMAZING!!!!!

37 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Wasn't sure where to put this so i said here will do. So tell was there a prettier goal this season than this one??? Please show me!!!

I think this is my favorite goal from this season.

I've said it a bunch to time to anyone who will listen, 9 knew he had the game winner before he crossed the mtl blue line. He saw Domi and knew he could clown him. I think I can see it that moment of recognition  with how he changes his stride right after he clears the Habs logo at center ice.

The kid has a load of talent, hell, he has better hair than Kris Letang, he's got bigger forearms than Chris Neil...he's a bad mfer.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

That's a great goal. The amazing thing is that I wouldn't be surprised if Ghost, Sanheim or Myers did that. Best young D this franchise has ever had.

• Good Post 1

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

Watching this right now:

That seems eons ago ...... 

I love the the line ..... "the crowd is quiet! ......"  ahh I remember this game :) thanks for posting....

Edited by pilldoc

3 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

That seems eons ago ...... 

I love the the line ..... "the crowd is quiet! ......"  ahh I remember this game :) thanks for posting....

I have the "greatest games" DVD set. Might toss one of those on later.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I have the "greatest games" DVD set. Might toss one of those on later.

I have the Flyers "greatest fights" VHS somewhere packed away.  Goes from mid 70's up to ~late 80's maybe very early 90's when Lindros arrived.  I have some great donniebrooks between the Devils and Caps ......   Of course nothing beats that all time great between the Flyers and Sens ........ 

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

I have the Flyers "greatest fights" VHS somewhere packed away.  Goes from mid 70's up to ~late 80's maybe very early 90's when Lindros arrived.  I have some great donniebrooks between the Devils and Caps ......   Of course nothing beats that all time great between the Flyers and Sens ........ 

Somehow there is not a single game with Lindros in it from the DVD set (It does include the 5OT game, but he was still out at that point).

SO I put on  the 5OT game. First thing I notice: Pens are wearing whites AT HOME! Why did that go away?

Second thing: Why does the Flyers' 10 best games DVD have the national broadcast as the audio? The best part of this game is Dornhoeffer yelling "Thank God it's over!" at the end.

39 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Jagr captain of the Pens,

one of the dumbest moves by the Flyers ...letting Jagr go after 1 year.   He obviously helped "G" .  I think he could gone at least another year or two..but that is just my 2 cents.  Loved seeing him in O&B and hated him as a Pen .....

• Like 3

On 8/2/2020 at 9:07 PM, AJgoal said:

I know this is probably considered sacrilege here, but, I think Gary Bettman has been the best sports commissioner of the COVID-19 pandemic.  The bubble plan and precautions have worked, the arenas look great, the play has been mostly good. I saw him make a joke about why Gritty wasn't allowed to go to the bubble and it was funny-ish.

I know everyone hates him, I can give him credit for having marshaled a plan to bring his sport back safely though. I'm enjoying the hockey. I'm grateful he stuck with trying to complete the season. 

• Like 2