Damn I miss hockey

mojo1917

55 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I think in the NHL's pecking order of teams they would go Quebec City next, then they would revisit Hartford, and then Kansas City would be 3rd in line. Given that the league is already up to 32 teams now, I think these would all be achieved through relocating existing teams rather than more expansion. 

Panthers -> Quebec City (same division, easy move)

New Jersey -> Hartford (same division, easy move)

Phoenix Coyotes -> Kansas City Scouts

:) 

Here is what might be in the NHL's future (although nobody is talking about this today):

Detroit Red Wings -> Hamilton/Markham/Mississauga/Windsor/London (Ont.) 

Hamilton is between Toronto and Buffalo, so would draw from both fanbases. Detroit is a city that has undergone a massive demographic shift in the past few decades as the auto industry (and middle class America) has essentially left it behind. It's conceivable that Detroit won't be able to sustain an NHL team for much longer if the city continues along its current path. If that happens, the most logical location is southern Ontario (where there are a ton of Red Wings fans west of London already). They might become the Windsor Red Wings, London Red Wings, or the Hamilton Red Wings in another 10 years from now. 

Saskatoon was just me being funny.  ;) 

I am wondering since the NHL will have a 32nd team, could there be another league like the WHA in the works?

9 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I'd put a team in Kansas City before putting one in Atlanta again..... 

..... but only after Quebec City, Hartford, Hamilton, and Saskatoon. 😃

I think the Blues threatened to move to Saskatoon a good while back? (I think they were between owners and there was a problem with the arena?)

17 hours ago, intheslot said:

K C scouts..

93173481_1504385663066016_151786012551413760_o.jpg

If it's jersey, for me it's the Whalers. Great colours and a fantastic crest. The Nords are a close second. If it's franchise, Quebec is #1 for me. There were some great battles between the Nords and Montreal...hell those were wars.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, notfondajane said:

I am wondering since the NHL will have a 32nd team, could there be another league like the WHA in the works?

I think the NHL just wants to have a few options out there that they can threaten under-performing franchises with.  If you have nowhere to move a team then you have no leverage. If you have Quebec City sitting there with an arena ready to go, the owner of the Panthers can say to the fans "show up to the games or we're outta here".  :) 

5 hours ago, notfondajane said:

I think the Blues threatened to move to Saskatoon a good while back? (I think they were between owners and there was a problem with the arena?)

Perhaps. I don't remember.  :) 

I know Bettman doesn't want any more teams in Canada. He would fight that tooth and nail. The only way Canada gets another team is if an existing team goes bankrupt, no owner shows up to run it in its existing location, the league tries running it for five years and loses over $100 million dollars, and it finally relocates. 

5 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I think the NHL just wants to have a few options out there that they can threaten under-performing franchises with.  If you have nowhere to move a team then you have no leverage. If you have Quebec City sitting there with an arena ready to go, the owner of the Panthers can say to the fans "show up to the games or we're outta here".  :)

Another city could be Houston or even Portland Oregon.

Perhaps. I don't remember.  :) 

I know Bettman doesn't want any more teams in Canada. He would fight that tooth and nail. The only way Canada gets another team is if an existing team goes bankrupt, no owner shows up to run it in its existing location, the league tries running it for five years and loses over $100 million dollars, and it finally relocates. 

I have not looked, do the Avs draw well?

Portland, Oregon could be intriguing, but with a team now in Seattle, probably not going to happen.  :) 

You're probably right. To close to Seattle. Then again there's 3 teams in New York City.

3 hours ago, notfondajane said:

You're probably right. To close to Seattle. Then again there's 3 teams in New York City.

There's more people in NYC than there is in the entire state of Washington and double what there is in Oregon.

• Like 1