Best Option for the NHL for this Season?

WordsOfWisdom

Best Option for the NHL for this Season?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Best Option for the NHL for this Season?

• Play the final month of the regular season and then have a best-of-3 playoffs with four rounds.
    • Skip the rest of the regular season and go directly to a best-of-7 playoffs with four rounds.
    • Play the rest of the regular season and play a best-of-7 playoffs with four rounds.
    • Skip the rest of the regular season and go directly to a best-of-5 playoffs with four rounds.
    • Cancel everything.
    • All of the above. ;)

6 hours ago, jammer2 said:

I can see an iffy proposition of doing playoffs in the fall (give it about a 15% chance of happening) but the NHLPA will not go for regular season games, followed by playoffs, followed by another regular season and more playoffs...and rightfully so. The rest of this regular season is lost...period.

It may very well be. I'm just floating this as an idea of how they might do the impossible and still find a way to save it. 

If you delete the "by/bye-week" for teams and the all-star week and just run long at the end of the season, you could do both.

Admittedly, it would be a short break for the 2020 Cup winning team, but remember that the players are WELL RESTED right now. They've played 50% of the hockey they normally play. They're fresh and raring to go. They could blow through the playoffs and then turn around and begin the next season with NO fatigue whatsoever. Only the two Cup finalists would be a bit exhausted from the grind. Everyone else is fully rested by then.

I think it could work, and it's still hockey during hockey "season".  :) 

I think the players would LOVE to finish this season and win a Cup. 

Edited by WordsOfWisdom

6 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I could see doing the playoffs late fall if next season's start is lost and they're able to do it just to keep interest until the following season.

All of this assumes Coronavirus goes bye bye by June or July.  If not, well that's another story altogether.  :( 

Logistically, I don't like it, though.   People that were injured for this playoffs would be back, others healthy now would be injured by then, draft picks that are NHL ready--or even prospects currently playing--would be ready to go, but would they be allowed or not?   People who were FAs would be elsewhere--pretending they'd be going forward with that.  

Yes but then they're back for everyone. Technically, don't you want to beat other teams when they're at their normal strength? 

The draft picks would sit out I'm guessing.  Not sure how to handle that.  :( 

I think this season is over full-stop, including playoffs.  It sucks and I'm sorry to crap on any kind of hope, but it's done.

And I wish the NHL would simply acknowledge the reality rather than this "day-to-day with an upper body injury" horse####.

I dunno. I still think anything is possible.  :) 

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I've had the same hockey gloves for 20 years, and I've also urinated in the bathrooms of Lees Palace/ Horseshoe/Dakota/Cameron House/ElMo/Bovine Sex Club etc etc etc so I'm pretty sure my immune system is as good as anyones. 

The "trough" is the worst. Never in my life have I ever seen a public restroom in Canada with the urinal trough, but one time while I was a kid, the family took a road trip through the southern US. We made a pit stop somewhere in Nevada and there it was: a urinal trough about 6 feet long, a foot wide, and a foot deep...... and it was filled to the top (and overflowing) with piss.  That washroom was the worst smelling washroom I've ever been to in my life.

🤮

Realistically....even if a cure was found tomorrow, the FDA would take months to approve and the NHLPA would not let them play even if a few cases existed. A good guess is hockey comes back for the 21-22 season. Next season is seriously at risk. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

The "trough" is the worst. Never in my life have I ever seen a public restroom in Canada with the urinal trough, but one time while I was a kid, the family took a road trip through the southern US. We made a pit stop somewhere in Nevada and there it was: a urinal trough about 6 feet long, a foot wide, and a foot deep...... and it was filled to the top (and overflowing) with piss.  That washroom was the worst smelling washroom I've ever been to in my life.

🤮

Maple Leaf Gardens used to have "troughs" in some of the bathrooms. Big, wide ones...where you'd face each other with a pipe running down the middle at chest height that would run water. I kid you not. Probably Gordon Stuckless' idea.

• Uggh... 1

41 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Maple Leaf Gardens used to have "troughs" in some of the bathrooms. Big, wide ones...where you'd face each other with a pipe running down the middle at chest height that would run water. I kid you not. Probably Gordon Stuckless' idea.

Tiger Stadium had the dreaded troughs. I remember the piss stream being so fast and heavy that you were splashed with other people's piss no matter how far back you went!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Realistically....even if a cure was found tomorrow, the FDA would take months to approve and the NHLPA would not let them play even if a few cases existed. A good guess is hockey comes back for the 21-22 season. Next season is seriously at risk. 

Do you think we'll reach a point where people just move on, with or without the existence of Coronavirus? Trump is already talking about sending people back to work. China is back to work again. They seem to have weathered the CV storm. The number of new cases in Canada per day seems to be holding steady.

I'm hoping this passes in a few months and we're back to normal again.  If this lingers on for as long as you're suggesting, the NHL won't survive at all..... neither will any other business for that matter. It's hard to pay for tickets when the currency is worth 0 and everyone is unemployed... which is where we're going to be if people aren't back working by June or July. 

Cure or no cure, I think the choice is eventually going to be made for us.   

2 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Tiger Stadium had the dreaded troughs. I remember the piss stream being so fast and heavy that you were splashed with other people's piss no matter how far back you went!

Well this one was filled to the top of the trough and spilling over on the floor and down the floor drain. There was basically no point in using the trough other than as a formality/protocol because it was equivalent to just pissing on the floor. 

According to a Google search (me being bored again and running some numbers).......  a 6x1x1 rectangular urinal trough would hold about 170 litres of urine. The average male pees about 4 to 10 times per day at 800 to 2000 millilitres of urine per day.  So if we say (4+10)/2 = 7 pees per day and a total of 1400 mL of pee, it would take 170 / 1.4 ~= 121 "man days of urine" to fill that trough or 850 unique male visitors. 

tankvolume.png.5a47533122b75f8e65e4f89272c40638.png

pee.png.fb6ba72afc468cc2f47de0c6dc657c9a.png

Edited by WordsOfWisdom

36 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Well this one was filled to the top of the trough and spilling over on the floor and down the floor drain. There was basically no point in using the trough other than as a formality/protocol because it was equivalent to just pissing on the floor. 

According to a Google search (me being bored again and running some numbers).......  a 6x1x1 rectangular urinal trough would hold about 170 litres of urine. The average male pees about 4 to 10 times per day at 800 to 2000 millilitres of urine per day.  So if we say (4+10)/2 = 7 pees per day and a total of 1400 mL of pee, it would take 170 / 1.4 ~= 121 "man days of urine" to fill that trough or 850 unique male visitors. 

Bro....did you just research and crunch PISS numbers? LOL this quarantine is past week #1, right? LMFAO!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Ok, now I've seen everything.

Read a book. Paint your house. Build a Richard trophy for Mathews. 

• Like 3

On 3/30/2020 at 4:48 AM, flyercanuck said:

Build a Richard trophy for Mathews

3D printer here I come!  (It's actually possible to do that now!)  I'm going to start a business 3D printing actual size trophies for sports bars, players, and avid fans. 🏆

NOTE: There's 2 "T's" in Matthews.... and 55 goals.  :ph34r:

1 hour ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

3D printer here I come! 

Can you please print me a '92 Chevy Lumina with a wonky transmission and a trunk full of halibut? Not fussy about the color.

Asking for a friend from Buffalo. 

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

3D printer here I come!  (It's actually possible to do that now!)  I'm going to start a business 3D printing actual size trophies for sports bars, players, and avid fans. 🏆

NOTE: There's 2 "T's" in Matthews.... and 55 goals.  :ph34r:

I'm still not buying the 55 goals for Mathewts.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

I'm still not buying the 55 goals for Mathewts.

He had 47 goals...... three WEEKS ago.  :) 

Goal #50 would have come against the Devils (3 games from now) and #55 would have come against Detroit on Toronto's second last game of the season.

Edited by WordsOfWisdom

3 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

He had 47 goals...... three WEEKS ago.  :) 

Goal #50 would have come against the Devils (3 games from now) and #55 would have come against Detroit on Toronto's second last game of the season.

Ya, and JVR would have finished out the season with a hat trick a game and most hits in the league.

But I'm really disappointed that I didn't receive any kudos from you for using 2 Ts in Mathewts.

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

For selfish reasons I would be good to go straight to the playoffs.

I'd even be fine with a scenario where the NHL resumes play with this season on October 1, exactly where they left off, plays the full playoffs, then comes back with a 41-game season for 2021 beginning in January (as if there had been a lockout) and plays a full playoffs in 2021.  Thoughts?  

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

But for everyone's safety let call it over and revisit it when it's time for camp/preason if that is possible by then.

That may well happen, and we may be talking about how players used to get money to play hockey next fall if the league folds, how the world's population used to be over 7 billion people, how people used to walk around without wearing face masks, etc.

:( 

16 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I'd even be fine with a scenario where the NHL resumes play with this season on October 1, exactly where they left off, plays the full playoffs, then comes back with a 41-game season for 2021 beginning in January (as if there had been a lockout) and plays a full playoffs in 2021.  Thoughts?  

That may well happen, and we may be talking about how players used to get money to play hockey next fall if the league folds, how the world's population used to be over 7 billion people, how people used to walk around without wearing face masks, etc.

:( 

contradicting yourself I see ...... or did you change your mind ?

image.png.d7e02efc19c9f9832de47cc9608ad487.png

image.png.93ed03242aef57802018d43633232898.png

4 hours ago, pilldoc said:

contradicting yourself I see ...... or did you change your mind ?

I'm putting that out there as another possible option. 

If I had to choose between:

A) Losing this season and playoffs entirely to play an 82-game season next season.

or

B) Being able to finish what was started here, award a 2020 Cup winner, and play a reduced length schedule for next season with a full playoffs.

I would rather do option B.

If fans know the schedule is reduced ahead of time, it doesn't create disappointment. Ending a season without a result and without playoffs is the ultimate failure in my opinion. That's like the 1994 MLB strike that ended the baseball season in August (at its pinnacle like we're at now in the NHL), killed the playoffs, and almost killed baseball.

With Tronno banning public events until June 30, this year's playoffs couldn't even start until July 1.

The 2019-20 season is done. Gone.

It joins the 1919 season being cancelled due to a pandemic.

The league survived losing an entire season to a labor dispute and is now more popular and profitable than ever.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, radoran said:

With Tronno banning public events until June 30, this year's playoffs couldn't even start until July 1.

What if they started in September instead?  (I don't think you noticed the newest idea/suggestion being floated around now of finishing up this season and the playoffs in the fall... IF we've gotten past Coronavirus by then.)

The 2019-20 season is done. Gone.

It may seem that way, but all we've really lost so far is three weeks. That's it. (And a whole lot of lives of course.) China got past Coronavirus (from start to finish) in three months total (or less). If the same thing happens here, we'll be ready to go in the fall.... and the league could still opt to finish this season and playoffs in the fall to bring closure to it and have a Cup winner OR they can just start with a new season and live with more broken league history in a league that is becoming increasingly broken. Toss in another lockout coming soon and the Stanley Cup will eventually become a bi-annually awarded trophy. :( 

It joins the 1919 season being cancelled due to a pandemic.

Only the Stanley Cup final was cancelled in 1919. They played a full season, most of the playoffs, and most of the final as well. I remember it like it was yesterday. :ph34r:

The league survived losing an entire season to a labor dispute and is now more popular and profitable than ever.

Yes indeed.  :) 

9 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

It may seem that way, but all we've really lost so far is three weeks. That's it. (And a whole lot of lives of course.) China got past Coronavirus (from start to finish) in three months total (or less). If the same thing happens here, we'll be ready to go in the fall.... and the league could still opt to finish this season and playoffs in the fall to bring closure to it and have a Cup winner OR they can just start with a new season and live with more broken league history in a league that is becoming increasingly broken. Toss in another lockout coming soon and the Stanley Cup will eventually become a bi-annually awarded trophy. :( 

If you can believe anything China says.......

I think you need to give this up!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, fan4ever said:

If you can believe anything China says.......

I can't believe anyone would when it comes to their numbers. 

Same with Russia.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 2