Best Option for the NHL for this Season?

WordsOfWisdom

Best Option for the NHL for this Season?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Best Option for the NHL for this Season?

• Play the final month of the regular season and then have a best-of-3 playoffs with four rounds.
    • Skip the rest of the regular season and go directly to a best-of-7 playoffs with four rounds.
    • Play the rest of the regular season and play a best-of-7 playoffs with four rounds.
    • Skip the rest of the regular season and go directly to a best-of-5 playoffs with four rounds.
    • Cancel everything.
    • All of the above. ;)

18 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Depends whose draft system we're using lol.  ;)  

I truly believe teams need to build their own roster. I don't believe it's the NHL's job to build rosters for teams who aren't capable.

Detroit can improve their roster with or without draft picks. You could build the Red Wings into a playoff team without using any draft picks at all. Easily. Heck, I could select any collection of free agents available this summer and ice a more competitive team than what Detroit had this year. (That's me throwing darts at a dartboard with names on it lol.) 

why over pay someone for a couple of years to be back to where they were? ( I understand your point.)

2 minutes ago, notfondajane said:

why over pay someone for a couple of years to be back to where they were? ( I understand your point.)

True, that might happen. Plus, the team wouldn't be building towards anything because the players would have all peaked. But you could ice a stagnant team that was TOP 16 in the NHL if you were willing to spend to the cap for other team's castoff players. Build a team of JVRs lol.  ;) 

On 4/9/2020 at 12:22 PM, WordsOfWisdom said:

I believe the draft is a method to allocate new players to NHL teams. That's all it is.

True. But there's a reason it basically went in reverse order from the regular season standings until unsportsmanship forced a lottery.

Every season there are n new players entering the league and m old players who are retiring. Without the draft, there would be no formal process to get new players onto teams other than teams just sending out representatives to contact rookie players and sign them. 

In the absence of a draft, presumably every team would have had a rep show up at Matthews door offering him a contract and then the player would simply select the best offer. 

In the old days teams basically owned territory. In Brunts Searching For Bobby Orr Wren Blair talks about asking Toronto if they could sign Bobby Orr...the Leafs being the genius' they were told them to go ahead cause they already had enough defencemen. Of course the "territory' thing would be an unfair advantage today with scouting.(not that it wasn't then) But imagine the Leafs playing Carolina now if teams were made by territory? 

There is nothing about the draft that needs to favour bad teams. The implementation of the draft may work that way but the method itself says nothing about the distribution of the players because the method can be changed to be anything we want it to be.

So why not eliminate the reward for tanking as I've suggested? Equal odds of #1 for all non-playoff teams. Don't give me this 25% odds for the last place team stuff. Don't tell me the problem is solved when you lower it from 25% to 12% or 5% or whatever. People hate tanking and complain about teams that tank for the #1 pick, yet they stubbornly refuse to change the system to prevent it from happening. Tanking will never stop until there's no statistical justification for doing it. If there's even a 1% advantage to finishing last, teams will tank to get it.  :) 

#MatthewsGot55.  :ph34r:

The lottery is about as close as you can get to trying to help bad teams get better. There are obviously teams that are beyond help. I think Detroit deserves  a grace period after making the playoffs even longer somehow than the Leafs were out of them. :poke:

I really don't think it would do the league a lot of good if the Stanley Cup winner or runner up got Lafreniere this draft .

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

True. But there's a reason it basically went in reverse order from the regular season standings until unsportsmanship forced a lottery.

You probably know the history of it better than I do, but would you say that top draft picks make a bigger impact today than they used to? Other than the occasional Gretzky or Lemieux from the past, it seems like whoever the #1 pick is today becomes their club's #1 center/winger within a year, and make it a few years for goalies and defencemen.  In other words, the draft seems to be more important than it used to be. I don't think teams used to care who drafted #1 because that player was typically 5 years away from being an impact player in those days. Today it's an immediate impact. 

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

In the old days teams basically owned territory. In Brunts Searching For Bobby Orr Wren Blair talks about asking Toronto if they could sign Bobby Orr...the Leafs being the genius' they were told them to go ahead cause they already had enough defencemen

😭

Or perhaps instead of owning territory, you would simply own the players on your minor league affiliate team that you're developing and could bring them up to the NHL whenever you feel they're ready. NHL clubs already have minor league affiliate teams, so this would be rather easy to implement too.  :) 

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

The lottery is about as close as you can get to trying to help bad teams get better. There are obviously teams that are beyond help. I think Detroit deserves  a grace period after making the playoffs even longer somehow than the Leafs were out of them. :poke:

lol.  ;)  

Maybe it's like a yin-yang thing. Toronto and Detroit can't both be in the playoffs at the same time. Toronto got good as soon as Detroit got bad. As soon as Toronto's window of opportunity closes, the Red Wings will return to the playoffs again. 

Same thing happens in baseball too:  The Blue Jays and Red Sox can't both be good teams. It's one or the other. The two teams have played in the same division all my life and never met in the post season, and never had a rivalry or meaningful game played between them. Ever.  Go figure.  :) 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 10:19 AM, ruxpin said:

Not among owners, anyway.

There may be some concessionaires or ushers, etc., that are in a world of hurt right now. 

True - because the billionaires have decided the average taxpayer should shoulder the burden while they enjoy their tax cuts.

But the discussion I responded to was about billionaires somehow deciding their multi hundred million dollar investments weren't worthwhile any more.

It is to laugh.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, radoran said:

But the discussion I responded to was about billionaires somehow deciding their multi hundred million dollar investments weren't worthwhile any more.

It is to laugh.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

I agree. Totally outrageous. Who would have suggested such foolishness?  :ph34r:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

You probably know the history of it better than I do, but would you say that top draft picks make a bigger impact today than they used to? Other than the occasional Gretzky or Lemieux from the past, it seems like whoever the #1 pick is today becomes their club's #1 center/winger within a year, and make it a few years for goalies and defencemen.  In other words, the draft seems to be more important than it used to be. I don't think teams used to care who drafted #1 because that player was typically 5 years away from being an impact player in those days. Today it's an immediate impact. 

Scouting today has become a science. There were teams that didn't care about the draft originally. Montreal wasn't one of them.

😭

Or perhaps instead of owning territory, you would simply own the players on your minor league affiliate team that you're developing and could bring them up to the NHL whenever you feel they're ready. NHL clubs already have minor league affiliate teams, so this would be rather easy to implement too.  :) 

You mean like the AHL?

lol.  ;)  

Maybe it's like a yin-yang thing. Toronto and Detroit can't both be in the playoffs at the same time. Toronto got good as soon as Detroit got bad. As soon as Toronto's window of opportunity closes, the Red Wings will return to the playoffs again. 

It does seem that way.

Same thing happens in baseball too:  The Blue Jays and Red Sox can't both be good teams. It's one or the other. The two teams have played in the same division all my life and never met in the post season, and never had a rivalry or meaningful game played between them. Ever.  Go figure.  :) 

Sorry... Don't care.

• 3 weeks later...

Announcement should come today that the NHL is cancelling the season and playoffs.  They're simply out of time.

The NHL has only one option left (that I don't think they would ever do) and that's to finish the season and playoffs over the summer or into the fall. So basically, it's over.

There is no way the NHL can finish the season or do the playoffs any longer, in any format. Time's up. They will announce what we all know is coming within 24 hours of this post.

Just now, WordsOfWisdom said:

The NHL has only one option left (that I don't think they would ever do) and that's to finish the season and playoffs over the summer or into the fall. So basically, it's over.

I think that is exactly what they will do.  Finish the playoffs by the end of September.  Take a 1 month break and start up again in November.

Why would they bail now?   That is a tremendous amount of revenue lost.

1 minute ago, hf101 said:

I think that is exactly what they will do.  Finish the playoffs by the end of September.  Take a 1 month break and start up again in November.

Why would they bail now?   That is a tremendous amount of revenue lost.

Probably bad PR, lack of fans in the arenas, lack of support from the NHLPA, etc.  I imagine there would be too many hurdles to overcome and nobody would rush to get back into large crowds of people again so quickly.   :( 

Would be nice though. I'd like to see them finish it.  :) 

In the best interest of our fans, our players, our coaches and management teams, our arena staffs, and all the bar restaurant, hotel and airline staffs that contribute to NHL hockey, we are announcing the cancellation of the balance of the regular season and playoffs. 

It is our hope that the 2020-21 season can commence in October and we can return to the great game of hockey at that time. 

It is our further hope that everyone takes heed to the social distancing measures currently in place so we can get back to our lives as we knew them. 

There you go Bett turd, stop festering about your f*&king  money and do the right thing. How many dollars are you putting in your coffin when your dead? Health before wealth. Take a f&*king leadership role in this pandemic. Be a f&*king man.  

• Like 2