You are a guest user Click to join the site

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

radoran

Toronto Bans Public Events Through June 30

And, that, folks, would seem to put a fork in the NHL and NBA seasons...

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, radoran said:

And, that, folks, would seem to put a fork in the NHL and NBA seasons...

I'm fully expecting the announcement to come any day now regarding the NHL cancelling the season and playoffs...... BUT....... I still think they could finish this thing in the fall. 

There's no reason why the NHL can't consider this period (March - June) as the off-season, begin training camps in July, finish this season in August, run the full playoffs in September and October, and then play another full season thereafter.  It's still possible, and fatigue would not be an issue at all for the players. They would be at 100% rest and 100% health by July 1.  

I'm hoping the NHL doesn't throw in the towel on this. It's just three weeks that we've lost so far. Toronto can change its mind anytime it wants to. All of these government instituted bans are subject to change at any time.  :)

EDIT: And all of this assumes that Coronavirus is something that will pass in a few months and disappear like SARS did 10 years ago. If it doesn't, that's another story altogether. For now though, I think we should assume that this virus will be gone (or will have run its course) by June and things can get back to normal.  Hopefully. 

Edited by WordsOfWisdom

8 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

It's still possible, and fatigue would not be an issue at all for the players. :hehe:

:lol::lol:

9 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

It's still possible, and fatigue would not be an issue at all for the players.

:bonkingheadonwall: ......  :63:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

n July, finish this season in August, run the full playoffs in September and October, and then play another full season thereafter. 

Math is not your forte is it..... lets assume here for a moment your proposal.....  How do propose to get a whole 82 game season in????  Even playing every other night for a whole season (which is something the NHLPA will never agree too) you are looking at a minimum 5.5 months just for the regular season, which starting in January will run til the mid of June and then trying to play a normal playoff (anther 2 months) and then start another normal season after that (SMH).   You are going to kill the players physically.  

I can't believe I actually wasted 10 minutes replying to this nonsense .......  This years NHL season is lost.  It is unfortunate....as Elsa sings...time to Let it Go.

• Like 1

I am now Happy halifax chose to shut it down so early before we even had confirmed cases.

It has definitely made a difference

• Like 4

1 hour ago, radoran said:

:lol::lol:

Fatigue wouldn't begin to kick in until halfway through the next season. 

However, its been done before. During Olympic years the league would play a condensed schedule AND do two weeks of Olympic hockey. This is entirely possible.  :) 

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Math is not your forte is it..... lets assume here for a moment your proposal.....  How do propose to get a whole 82 game season in???? 

rest of 2020 season:  July/August.

2020 playoffs: August/September/October.

(1 - week break to do the draft, shuffle rosters, make trades, etc.)

2021 season begins November 1 and goes until May 1.

2021 playoffs begin in May and finish by end of June.

Why is this so difficult?   😐 

Here's a simulation:

2020 playoffs start late August:

• Boston, Tampa, Washington, Philly advance in the east

That means Toronto, New York, Columbus, and Pittsburgh are now resting beginning in early September.

• Boston and Philly advance (late Sept)

That means Tampa and Washington are now resting from late September on. 

By the time you hit November 1, everyone other than the two Stanley Cup finalists are 100% rested and ready to go again. 

Edited by WordsOfWisdom
  • Uggh... 1

Posted (edited)

@WordsOfWisdom The US is at almost 50 million people unemployed with more joining in on the fun every day. Almost 2 million Canadians have submitted claims for EI. Somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of small to medium-sized businesses say they will go under before April is finished, and this has all barely started.

The NHL might not have an easy time finding enough people with money to attend the games even if they do start up again. July? You're dreaming.

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Like 3

Just now, JR Ewing said:

@WordsOfWisdom The US is at almost 50 million people unemployed with more joining in on the fun every day. Almost 2 million Canadians have submitted claims for EI. Somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of small to medium-sized businesses say they will go under before April is finished, and this has all barely started.

The NHL might not have an easy time finding enough people with money to attend the games even if they do start up again. July? You're dreaming.

dream.png.34f3bbaa081d575f99d2f13a2dd0a0d5.png

I'm trying to remain optimistic.  :( 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

2020 playoffs: August/September/October.

(1 - week break to do the draft, shuffle rosters, make trades, etc.)

That is so unrealistic I don't even know where to start .... the NHLPA will NEVER approve of that .....

Hidden Content

Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

I'm done pointing out the obvious flaws in your convoluted plan .......

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1

The season is over. Accept it keep your heads down do the right thing and stay well and hope for the fall.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

AND....furthermore according to your schedule the above starting starting states indicates a schedule over 181 days  per the NHLPA CBA:

16.3 Length of Season, Balance and Consistency. (a) Without the NHLPA's advance written consent, the Regular Season will be scheduled over a period of not less than 184 days.

The NHLPA and players will NEVER agree to this. 

Finally.....

The NHLPA told ESPN that any change to the regular-season or playoff format would have to be mutually agreed upon by the players and the owners, per the CBA.

PS....

inquiring minds want to know when you plan on holding even an abbreviated preseason......?????  I’m waiting......

There’s more holes in you plan than the block of Swiss Cheese residing in my fridge....

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, pilldoc said:

That is so unrealistic I don't even know where to start .... the NHLPA will NEVER approve of that .....

Why not?  You're saying the players don't want to play?

AND....furthermore according to your schedule the above starting starting states indicates a schedule over 181 days  per the NHLPA CBA:

16.3 Length of Season, Balance and Consistency. (a) Without the NHLPA's advance written consent, the Regular Season will be scheduled over a period of not less than 184 days.

The NHLPA and players will NEVER agree to this. 

Why wouldn't they?  They're playing the SAME NUMBER of games that they CONTRACTUALLY AGREED to play. It's just happening at a different time due to Coronavirus.  There is nothing being added here. In fact, it's LESS overall because I suggested deleting the all-star game to avoid a lost week.

If you want to be technical, the players haven't followed the terms of their contracts. They haven't played 82 games yet (which they've been paid to play) and they didn't play the playoffs. If I were the NHL owners, I want my money back. 

If I'm paying Matthews $15 mil/yr, the implication there is that he will play 82 games and some playoff games as well. I only got 70 GP worth of service and no playoffs. That's only 85% of the regular season and no 7-game series loss to Tampa. I'm losing out on 19 games worth of revenue if I'm the Leafs organization. Who pays for that?

Are the players expecting to collect their full salary for this season despite not playing a full season?

44 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Why not?  You're saying the players don't want to play?

Why wouldn't they?  They're playing the SAME NUMBER of games that they CONTRACTUALLY AGREED to play. It's just happening at a different time due to Coronavirus.  There is nothing being added here. In fact, it's LESS overall because I suggested deleting the all-star game to avoid a lost week.

If you want to be technical, the players haven't followed the terms of their contracts. They haven't played 82 games yet (which they've been paid to play) and they didn't play the playoffs. If I were the NHL owners, I want my money back. 

If I'm paying Matthews $15 mil/yr, the implication there is that he will play 82 games and some playoff games as well. I only got 70 GP worth of service and no playoffs. That's only 85% of the regular season and no 7-game series loss to Tampa. I'm losing out on 19 games worth of revenue if I'm the Leafs organization. Who pays for that?

Are the players expecting to collect their full salary for this season despite not playing a full season?

Hidden Content

Playing those postponed regular-season games would mean money in the depleted coffers of NHL teams. Regular-season games would also mean a much-needed cash insurgence for local business around arenas, presuming they're in operation as the coronavirus pandemic hopefully wanes.

But this is a fantasy.

Let's start with the obvious, which is that the NHL is at the mercy of local municipalities when it comes to restrictions on travel, mass gatherings and business operations. It's entirely possible that one team's state will be closer to an "all clear" than another's. It's entirely possible that the medical experts from one city will be more stringent than another's.

But let's say enough of those hurdles are cleared to the point that a North American pro sports league can restart its season: Rescheduling games is going to be a logistical nightmare, as the NBA and every other postponed arena event scramble to make up dates.

The difference between rescheduling for 16 (or 20) buildings and doing so for all 31 arenas is considerable, as is the difference between rescheduling regular-season games -- involving a lot of travel -- and rescheduling a playoff series -- which requires far less of it or none at all, depending on what playoff model the NHL chooses.

All of these issues are pressing, but none is more pressing than the fact that the NHL -- and every other professional sport looking to make up postponed games -- is going to start running out of runway to relaunch this summer. Remember, we also need to squeeze in the NHL draft and awards -- both already postponed -- as well as free agency between the end of the Stanley Cup Final and the start of the next preseason.

Columbus Blue Jackets captain Nick Foligno told ESPN this week that when it comes to completing a normal season, "The reality of it is probably pretty slim, with the time crunch that we're putting ourselves into as this thing continues to go."

The CDC recommended eight weeks of distancing at the time the NHL paused its season on March 12. The NHL's chief medical officer said Wednesday that making any firm decisions now is folly. "While it's rapidly accelerating, the risk in the general population is probably increasing rather than decreasing, so until we see where the peak is going to be and how high that peak is going to be, it's very difficult to give a definitive timeline," Dr. Willem Meeuwisse said.

From one players perspective .....

September is really pushing it, as players are already wary of playing into the summer. "I don't know if it makes a ton of sense for us to play into August. I think that's pretty dangerous coming into another season,"

Hidden Content

he further adds ......

You want to have a great season the following season, and I don't know if that gives guys enough time to rest and recover. If you think of the amount of games some guys would play, you're adding on another 20 games, plus a full season, then playoffs again. That's dangerous for some players, especially star players -- the guys fans want to see -- they're usually playing deep into the playoffs, so we have to be cognizant of their health and safety."

From one players perspective .....

September is really pushing it, as players are already wary of playing into the summer. "I don't know if it makes a ton of sense for us to play into August. I think that's pretty dangerous coming into another season,"

Hidden Content

he further adds ......

You want to have a great season the following season, and I don't know if that gives guys enough time to rest and recover. If you think of the amount of games some guys would play, you're adding on another 20 games, plus a full season, then playoffs again. That's dangerous for some players, especially star players -- the guys fans want to see -- they're usually playing deep into the playoffs, so we have to be cognizant of their health and safety."

Do I need to make a chart for this lol?  ;) 

schedule.png.f5f5fb19ef369ed467bea76f7175d93a.png

The players haven't played since March 12.  By June 12 they will have had a full "off-season" worth of rest.

What is being proposed now is a scenario whereby the season is finished up beginning in August. The players won't be "playing INTO August".... they'll be BEGINNING TO PLAY again in August. August 1 is going to feel like October 1 for these players. They will have had FOUR FULL MONTHS OFF. How much rest does someone need?  :) 

Trump may not reopen border. Oh well, just have to make due without Canadiens teams, like a number of seasons....

2 hours ago, Icechipper said:

Trump may not reopen border. Oh well, just have to make due without Canadiens teams, like a number of seasons....

Not to mention that most of the players went to their home countries. Who's to say that many/most could even make it back?

• Like 1