Wild TV Broadcast Ranked 29th in the NHL, and a Crease And Assist retrospective

I thought Walz's first ever night as a color analyst was his best.  Excellent insight despite, as would be expected, a very rough presentation.  But steep downhill from there.  Now, his filibuster style of delivery is so incessantly long, that his points get lost in all the verbiage.   Like when Greenlay does color, I'm turning off the sound.   Greenlay appears to be a nice guy, but he rarely offers any insight.  IMO, VERY lazy preparation.

Like you indicated, Nanne was excellent.  I'm hopeful on Carter. Still raw, but informative and MUCH, MUCH more succinct than Walz.

And as Theresa opined, oh what a joy it would be to listen to a Forslund or Kelly on a nightly basis.   Throw in Reaugh, Hedican, Fox, Panger or Olzcyk to do color and I would be in regional hockey broadcast heaven.

Edited by 4Check
spelling
  • Like 1

I wouldn't rank them 29th but definitely in the bottom 1/3.
I guess It doesn't bother me that much as I'm able to tune out Greenlay's blabbering and Walz's looong calls and stories and focus on the action.

LaPanta's adequate.
Fully agree on Nanne. I'd actually get distracted from the game listening to him.

Carter is fine also.

When they first started rotating out Greenlay, I swore his voice was a bit rough. Thought he might have a medical issue.
That bubbly-babbly goofiness wasn't there. Maybe he was just reacting to the writing on the wall and it was showing in his voice and demeanor.

I'm happy as long as I don't have to listen to the Finnish broadcast. They cover all of the NHL so they can't be that much in the know about the Wild. Plus they have to emphasise the Finns, even if the Finns are not achieving anything.

On 4/11/2020 at 2:42 AM, notfondajane said:

I'm curious on how everyone stands on this list.

Pretty quiet. Directly or indirectly COVID-19 affected us too. We see a huge social distancing  without alive hockey discussions. We (fans) missed a real professional hockey, and sport missed us as their real hockey fans. Kind of a vacuum with lost relations. 

• 2 weeks later...

That's an interesting way to put it @Alexandron but I think people haven't been happy with the Wild broadcast for years.  I agree on the point on Walz, who had a decent start but then seemed to think he needed to talk so much more, when the opposite is true.  

My favorite broadcast teams in the NHL.  

San Jose Sharks

New York Islanders

TSN - Murphy and Ferraro 

Hughson and Simpson - Rogers

I like John Forslund although Tripp Tracy can be annoying.  

• Like 1

I liked John Davidson when he used to be the analyst for Fox national broadcasts during the late 1990's.  Then he had to go be a Team President for 3 different organizations.  Pete Weber and Terry Crisp were actually a pretty entertaining duo in a 'listen to your grandpa' kind of way.  I like Chris Cuthbert too.  

• Like 2

On 4/28/2020 at 7:19 PM, CreaseAndAssist said:

That's an interesting way to put it @Alexandron but I think people haven't been happy with the Wild broadcast for years.  I agree on the point on Walz, who had a decent start but then seemed to think he needed to talk so much more, when the opposite is true.  

My favorite broadcast teams in the NHL.  

San Jose Sharks

New York Islanders

TSN - Murphy and Ferraro 

Hughson and Simpson - Rogers

I like John Forslund although Tripp Tracy can be annoying.  

Agree with that part too, LIG. For the last decade I preferred even to listen more our games through the FM radio 100.3 (last couple years) and on AM radio in previous years because of their commentators. Talent in any parts of our life is always and forever will be valuable.